Puppeteer

Poll

Would you pay to have this Forum for, say...

Free [who's paying]
2 (11.1%)
$1.00  USD/yr
2 (11.1%)
$10.00    "
13 (72.2%)
$120.00  "
0 (0%)
Wife, Kids, Dog, Cat, etc.
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Push comes to shove  (Read 14457 times)

dmp

Push comes to shove
« on: June 01, 2008, 01:41:47 AM »
Just another redneck...err was that a blue neck?  Well, maybe an old Necker.

David

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: Push comes to shove
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 12:48:43 PM »
I guess I don't understand the nature of the question.  Are you trying to make this an exclusive club to keep out riff-raff (haven't seen him post here yet anyhow).

Maybe what we need is a form that has to be signed and certified by a Notary Public that states that the wannabe member's clothes "smell like diesel".   :D  That way even if you do not yet own an engine you can pass the entrance requirements with some obvious determination.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 07:56:49 PM »
free is good for me, doen't matter who's paying. that person obviously has thier own motives for why they keep the site up.
                      scott r.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

dmp

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 03:39:38 AM »
Whoever our benefactor is, the result is, we lost the knowledge on Coppermine.

That's the bottom line.  His fault, don't know.

Could the next bottom line be the loss of this Forum?

$10 USD seems what members would pay a year for the information on this site.

Our benefactor can shut this Forum down at anytime.  Then what?

Let's think of this, and think fast!

David

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 04:49:57 AM »
Are we at that point? or are we just monitoring the group?

I wish that coppermine was still up and running also... but did not see it as an indication of the health of the forum.

Rob

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:00:17 PM »
Couldn't agree more David!

How much does it cost to recover your data from a crashed hard drive? Best to spend a few bucks up front for a backup drive.  Ten bucks aint a lot to have access to this kind of database.

Cheers, Fred

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:22:58 PM »
Free exchange of information.  It seems that was the whole idea behind the internet.  Too bad greedy bastards screwed it all up for the rest of us.  It must be getting expensive to operate this website?  I'm a tight wad, so I would just move on to  similiar websites until they started charging also.  Then I would be back.  I have Georges CD, which IMHO was a waste of money because of the info here, but I could rely on it if needed.  In hindsite, I would of much rather donated the $20 to this website rather than have bought a CD that has no search feature, is terribly organized and recently found out that I have to pay another $20 for an updated version when I was lead to believe updates were included in the intitial cost.  I guess I misunderstood. Give me a break, how much does it cost to burn a CD.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »
I would be happy to pay (a reasonable fee) if it meant the site will remain up and running... especially if we can recover coppermine info.

Rob

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
Frankly I am concerned about the tenor and topic of this thread.  The owner has not raised this as a future direction, and based on his generious nature todate, I would suspect that he would give us enough time to transfer the conent of this site to another...  he has not been vindictive in any way todate.  This thread makes it sound as if this is going to happen.

BTW for the record unless you talk to the owners of Coppermine and see if the concept of backups was known to them, that data is lost, gone, not retriveable. Also for your information, getting data off a crashed drive was $2300 USD last time I had to do that for a client.   As for backups, ISP charge for that service, depending on how much data you want backed up.

So unless you guys have really deep pockets, stop blathering on about Coppermine... nothing has been lost, we all still have those pictures, we just have to find a better place to  host them.

Look, instead of pissing off the owner, why not do what I have suggested in another thread that you posted in Dave, set up your own domain at some shared service, either free or user pay, and I will be happy to post it as a link, please make sure you do the administration, and collect all the user fees etc.  Be a man of action instead of posting threads like this that don nothing but slam someone who has done a great service and benefit to our hobby.

Cheers

Andrew
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 06:06:08 PM »
I like the site... and will continue to use/participate as long as it's available. It's been a great resource for me... Also entertaining at times.

I hope its around for a good long time.

Rob

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 08:31:38 PM »
google coppermine(problems) and you will see other people and sites have had problems// too complicated for me to understand//lets be tankful for what we have// I only had a couple of pictures on it because there were too many hoops to jump thru to upload one//anyway Andrew/ keep up the good work///sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 09:04:25 PM »
Mean lister green:

you must truely either be a tight wad or ?

your whining about 20 bucks for the cd?, unbelievable!

sure it cost's very little to burn a cd, but how about the time to publish stuff to be burnt on their in the first place?
the time it takes to package and mail the damn thing?

if you truely didn't learn a thing off the cd (which i find unlikely as hell) i would be quite pleased to buy the cd from you
just to see you quit crying!

lifetime updates? are you serious?
how is that supposed to work?

yes sir old George is making a killing on those cd's, probably can afford a loaf of bread and a pound of balogne from the monthly profits
of the sale of those cd's

i tell you what,, obviously you are smarter than most of us
perhaps you can publish a cd and give out free updates for life, for less than 20bucks?

i just don't see the problem, maybe i am just too ignorant and slow?

some peoples children!!

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 02:09:02 AM »
Now be lets be honest.

That's light rye bread and blue ribbon balogne.

The balogne is fried in premium bacon grease from the stomachs of only the juicest Canadian doughnut raised hogs.

The bread is also fried in the same bacon grease for that authentic English taste and served with a side of mushy peas....

As a beverage piping hot cup of water.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 02:31:27 AM »
 ???

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 03:05:14 AM »
had a German tank commander who tried to feed the crew german rye bread/ almost like sawdust in a loaf. was good soaking up diesel fuel.the german sausage was like grease in a tube/mushy peas/ have a can on the shelf next to the haggis// both like courage to try/if I had a bad product I would complain too wether it was a bad CD or a can of mussy peas/ especilly if it had been hyped that much on how it could solve all problems on a bad product/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc