Author Topic: Conversion to natural gas  (Read 14193 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Conversion to natural gas
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 09:03:50 PM »
If you want an Indian engine to burn NG then buy an Indian gas engine from someone like Kissan....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »
You can do whatever you want.  The CS was developed from the earlier semi-diesels and spark ignition engines.  If you want, change it back.

Personally, I think these old engines are quite adequate as they are and any tinkering will not really give much improvement on what they are now, or even what they were before the engines were CS.  You could leave the inlet valve open for several cycles and run it as a hit or miss but the power would be down by the appropriate factor.

Other common diesels - I doubt it.  Remember CS's are not a commn engine by any means, except in India.  One common engine in the UK was the Landrover 2 and 2 1/4 litre engines in the series II and III.  That diesel is easy to change to petrol as it was a conversion from the petrol engine in the first place - and not a vey good one at that.  A progression to methane is then a piece of cake.

Better to get a gas engine and increase the compression ratio to improve the performance for nat. gas operation.  Many tractors have been run on propane (factory and aftermarket) and cars are still being converted to autogas.  

Go ahead, but the IDI head is not the best route.  Unless you change the engine speed the cam is ground optimally by the manufacturer.

Why redesign something that is alright already?  Only you will know he answer to that.

Regards, RAB

blacksea7

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 12:25:40 AM »
Gentlemen,

10% fuel, 90% gaseous fuel is right... can't be disputed for if it weren't right Blackstone, Merrlees and a myriad of other manufacturers wouldn't use these as constant run percentages in their multi million dollar engines planet over. Please, read my previous post and you'll have no problems what so ever... you can always add more liquid fuel which in turn will negate the amount of gaseous fuel you burn... it's always an option. The only thing you can't do is run the engine on a pure gaseous fuel.

As for starting, the engine is always started on diesel fuel, operated on a mix and shut down on diesel fuel. All you need do is destabilize the fuel and it will ignite.. you don't need plugs, coils, wires or any form of ignition system. For what it's worth, look on the web at the performance kits they have for the diesel pickups. These, just as stationaries, liquid fuel ignites the charge within the cylinder... it's all you need do.. let the diesel fuel start the fire and let the propane finish the job... the only possible issue you might have is dissipating the excess heat generated by the gaseous fuel...