Author Topic: Big Changfa - Small Car?  (Read 13106 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Big Changfa - Small Car?
« on: May 12, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »
I just introduced the idea I was mulling over of possibly installing a Changfa 1115 engine into a superlight compact car like a geoMetro to try to get a very fuel miserly vehicle perhaps achieving a laudable goal near 100MPG.  This appeared here.  http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=3456.15

Not wishing to OT that thread I have moved the discussion here beginning with the two posts on this subject now in play.  Please feel free to join this discussion.

----------------------------------------------------

Speaking of oil.  My new 1115 has about 30 hours on it now started with SAE#30 and I checked the dipstick today.  the oil is still a clean golden color.  Fantastic!  The book said do first change at 100 hrs, but I plan to do one very soon and clean the sump magnet that I put in during the initial inspection prior to first smoke.  This engine broke in well and makes no exhaust smoke.  I am quite impressed and am thinking of buying a second 1115.  I'm even thinking of putting one in a light compact car like a Geo Metro.  How about 100 MPG and capable of highway speed.  I'm thinking it could do this!

rcavictim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RMChambers replied:

I think if you could address the cooling needs, the mounting and transmission of engine power to transmission that you could probably do this fairly easily.  I bet it would have a very distinctive sound as it went down the road.

I'd love to see it, it would be like the Changzuki guy only kicking it up a notch!  and unlike the bike, you could stay dry inside as you drove along in the rain.

It would be EMP proof for the SHTF folks - yet another selling point.

Go for it!

RC
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

rcavictim

• View Profile
Re: Big Changfa - Small Car?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 02:46:29 PM »
Our good friend George B. has an interesting article on his Utterpower.com website about a 10 HP Yanmar type air cooled diesel powering a Geo Metro.  It almost has enough power, but not quite.  A Changfa 1115 has 2X+ the available power on tap.  This is why I thought it might work.  http://www.utterpower.com/10hp_chevy.htm
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 03:07:33 AM »
How about a Changfa+Generator(10kw) plus Batteries. Two electric motors,one for each wheel hub on the back.

The bumber sticker could say 'MY OTHER VEHICLE IS A GE LOCOMOTIVE'

Set it up so that you can run a certain distance on batteries only,when the batteries drop down to a certain level the Diesel starts up!

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 04:38:41 AM »
dieseldave,

Interesting, a home made hybrid.!!
I have a spare 195 Changfa (12.5HP) that would fit nicely into an engine bay.
I see a considerable problem in mating up the drive train though.
Imagine having such a vehicle for running to the local shopping center and back.
I suspect the mileage would be more like 150+ MPG.
(Running on WVO ??)

Veggie

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 05:52:20 AM »
I like dieseldave's idea of a diesel-electric hybrid but implementation would be a challenge and all the extra weight of the electric motor(s) and a few storage batteries will cost fuel economy.  The nice thing is that regenerative braking could be employed to replenish the batteries and the diesel only started when speed above a certain point was needed as an example, or when the battery bank was getting down a bit.

The diesel would weigh a LOT LESS than the batteries that would not need to be there if it was an electric only car.  That is a big advantage in weight and capitol cost.  The hybrid could have unlimited range, unlike a straight electric only.

However, for a hybrid the diesel engine suggested by Dave would not provide unlimited range at legal cruising speeds because after the batteries became depleted all you would have is the diesel.  You would have to pull over and recharge frequently from the onboard diesel.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:45:38 PM by rcavictim »
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 07:43:45 AM »
Hi rcavictim: I too have thought that a 1115 might be capable of powering a very small car.  I'd like to see someone do it, but I don't see myself taking on such a project right now :(.  That 10HP Metro on Utterpower was dangerously slow to get up to speed and could not maintain decent cruising speed, a 1115 would hopefully have just enough power to work.  I bought a 10HP Chinese Yanmar clone to stuff into a Honda SL100 frame but it vibrates too hard so I don't think I'll go ahead with that plan.  I've thought about using a 1115 in the Honda frame but I'm concerned about the weight of that engine for a motorcycle.  I keep trying to think of what I could make that would get me back and forth to my job that is 8 miles from my home and a Changfa powered metro or motorcycle might be the ticket.  I think I'll try an electric powered bicycle to start with  :P.  If I had enough money I'd fill the back of a Toyota Prius with batteries and build a carport with a roof made of solar panels both at home and work.  I guess for now I'll have to occupy myself with finishing up my 6-1 CHP project; then I could charge my future Prius on cold winter nights  ;D!       Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:30:22 PM »
Hi rcavictim: I too have thought that a 1115 might be capable of powering a very small car.  I'd like to see someone do it, but I don't see myself taking on such a project right now :(.  That 10HP Metro on Utterpower was dangerously slow to get up to speed and could not maintain decent cruising speed, a 1115 would hopefully have just enough power to work.  I bought a 10HP Chinese Yanmar clone to stuff into a Honda SL100 frame but it vibrates too hard so I don't think I'll go ahead with that plan.  I've thought about using a 1115 in the Honda frame but I'm concerned about the weight of that engine for a motorcycle.  I keep trying to think of what I could make that would get me back and forth to my job that is 8 miles from my home and a Changfa powered metro or motorcycle might be the ticket.  I think I'll try an electric powered bicycle to start with  :P.  If I had enough money I'd fill the back of a Toyota Prius with batteries and build a carport with a roof made of solar panels both at home and work.  I guess for now I'll have to occupy myself with finishing up my 6-1 CHP project; then I could charge my future Prius on cold winter nights  ;D!       Leland

Here is a motor cycle for you. Might have a little more room in it. http://news.windingroad.com/etc/harley-this-california-man-builds-worlds-tallest-motorcycle/
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 06:46:46 PM »

Here is a motor cycle for you. Might have a little more room in it. http://news.windingroad.com/etc/harley-this-california-man-builds-worlds-tallest-motorcycle/

I saw that on Jay leno's show a while back.  Makes me shake my head.  ???  This is yet another sad example of what a clearly IQ challenged, childish mind will do given a significant amount of money (in this case $300K) to invest insomething.  Imagine the good that would come of $300K in solar cells instead, or to fund development of a struggling new real idea that has potential to help the sorry assed human race evolve away from chronic FFDD (Fossil Fuel Dependancy Disease) for example.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 06:49:07 PM by rcavictim »
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

max.network23

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 09:22:13 PM »
I've been thinking along these lines recently, too. What with gas prices and all...

Back in the 80's my dad took an old rear engine Renault (60s/70s?) and converted it to battery-electric. Fork lift motor with golf cart batteries, etc. The best technology available at the time. He used it to commute to work. He still has the car, but it is in very bad disrepair, not being used in roughly 20 years. I wonder what it would take to put it back into service with the diesel-electric hybrid concept? Probably too much... 

Anyway, I wonder if maybe a sandrail type of buggy might be a cheaper to work with. Pull out the VW bug engine. Throw in a modern electric motor with dual shaft, put some batteries in wing compartments off the sides between the front and rear wheels. (Maybe in the nose, too, to balance out the front to back weight ratio.) Put a skin on it to make it weather tight. The Changfa/Yanmar could be mounted above the electric motor such that a belt drive could go to the other end of the electric motor.

Only thing is, I am a family of five. Where do I seat the third child? Or fourth or fifth if I'm hauling friends around?

Of course, if I could afford hub motors like mentioned above, that would be the way to go.

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 10:55:30 PM »

I agree, the Changfa 1115 would be WAY to much for the small Honda bike chassis.  I converted a Honda Twin 360 motorcycle last summer into an e-bicycle but did not quite finish the project due to health issues.  I hope to get it on the road this year before the used 105AH, AGM batteries I based it on time out from extended storage.  Trouble is I have a wind turbine project on the go that is much more important.  I was thinking about making a diesel powered motorcycle but decided that I cannot afford to liscense and insure a second motor vehicle.  If I ever were to make a diesel powered bike I lean towards a 1.6 Turbo Diesel VW engine from a '91 Jetta.  That would require a large format frame like a Honda GoldWing or a Hog.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:57:46 PM by rcavictim »
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 11:11:10 PM »
There is a video of a truck someplace I saw with a Changfa type diesel in it.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 01:34:48 AM »
$300,000, this guys got too much money & too much time on his hands.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 02:46:03 AM »
There is a video of a truck someplace I saw with a Changfa type diesel in it.....

I saw that on youtube recently Doug! IIRC someone else here posted the link.  It was off the side of a highway somewhere like in Malaysia and the fellow hand started it, idled it really low RPM and backed it up-drove forward a short distance off road.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
Only thing is, I am a family of five. Where do I seat the third child? Or fourth or fifth if I'm hauling friends around?

Well, with the third, leave the wife at home.

If it comes the time when you have to worry about number four or five, it's time to convert it to a single seater anyhow.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

max.network23

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 06:01:36 PM »

Well, with the third, leave the wife at home.

If it comes the time when you have to worry about number four or five, it's time to convert it to a single seater anyhow.

Hey now! I actually like my wife... ;-)