Puppeteer

Author Topic: auto/emergency shutdown  (Read 17083 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: auto/emergency shutdown
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 12:25:54 PM »
Capt.
Here is link to picture of additional strap reinforcement  sitting next to new solinoid prior to drilling,
notice the notch that let's it move back to  cinch down between the existing fasteners.
I put some thick rubber against the barrel area and one bolt each side beyond the existing flange so it functions separate and in addition to the origional bracket ,some adjacent pictures in the photobucket show other views of the strap and failed spot welds. . I didn't have a picture of the final install.
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/Petersbpus/12KW%20Genset%20home%20power%20Diesel/?action=view&current=110105b003.jpgBob P.

Hi Bob,

Looking at your picture of the engine and ST head I see a coupler that appears to be a solid straight through one piece affair.  Is this true or is there a flex coupling component in this?

In case you have not included a flex component I hope you realize that this could not only be a cause of some of your 'intense vibration', but it will in all likelyhood tear out the engine crank bearing nearest the flywheel, the ST head input bearing and possibly break the crankshaft.  That would not be a good thing since such an event could result in a launched flywheel.

I have a new Changfa 1115 and I am impressed with it.  I applaud your engine choice.  Mine awaits time to get implemented in a power plant.  I am fully ocupied presently with my DIY wind turbine project.   Good luck!

-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Petersbpus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 09:19:55 PM »
Fred,
There is a factory flex coupling in between the ST head and engine with a spider inside much like the LoveJoy type.
the coupling was really pretty nice for a stock Chineese type, BUT the spiders were junk,,,Too soft and kept breaking apart, I got some replacements, then made a mold to make my own out of high tech window sealant, finally replaced the whole thing with Lovejoy setup with band type spider which is replaceable with out moving engine or St head and loosing the alignment.
My 1115 really doesn't vibrate more than it should, the Murphy solinoid welds just gave it up after running more than a week 23.5 hours per day after Wilma came to kick our butt. At 1800 rpm the deep sound was nicer than my neighbors briggs units. I burnt 11 gal per day (23.5 hrs) at about 5 to 6 KW
My portable 1115 looks much different now, those pics were taken when I ran it (unfinished)  for 48 hours after Katrina came and gave us a kiss before hitting New Orleans 4 or 5 days later.
Here's a link to the general photobucket  album. I see I never uploaded picks of the finished setup, There are some pics of the factory and lovejoy couplings.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/Petersbpus/12KW%20Genset%20home%20power%20Diesel/

Your setup looks really clean, I see a fuel filter heater, your burning WVO?
I'll be working on a method to shutdown with an over Hertz condition.
As far as linking shutdown to rpm directly, my impression is that may be somewhat tuffer, However you could install a toothed flywheel ring on the flywheel so you could count the teeth with an inductive pickup, tied to a tach, tied to the  Murphy 117 tattletale you already have.
more than one way to skin the cat.
Bob P.
Listeroid 6/1 in progress
Alllis Chalmers 60KW 3 ph
Changfaoid 12KW w/  auto shutdowns, modern AVR and panel
2nd Changfaoid 12KW Marine conversion w/ full auto shutdown and remote panel
Changfaoid 7.7 hp driving 5kw alternater /inverter,
other diesel gensets bought fixed and sold

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »
I hunted quite a while for a simple (murphy switchgage - always liked them) solution to the overtemp auto shutdown for my roid and am very happy with my present setup (I haven't needed it - yet - but since I'm running the engine every day it has freed up some of my anxiety over an overheating issue - I'm not as nervous or feel I have to check the "iron bitch" every 10 or 15 minutes as I did when the system wasn't there)

Anyway, this is what I ended up with on the electrical side ...

Here's a picture of the mounting bracket for the solenoid (energize and hold to run - overtemp or loss of 12 volt power - shutdown)

Here's an image of the wiring of the switchgage, tattletale, ignition switch etc

I know that thermosyphon cooling is the simplest but I wanted to protect my investment from some really nasty weather and the generator shack gets pretty hot - 120 F on a sunny day - wanted to move the cooling outside of the space so chose the radiator option the the  electric fan and adjustable (between 160 deg and 250 deg F) thermostatic control -

Cheers, Fred

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 01:28:45 PM »
Hi Jens

The solenoid shutdown is, at present, only for overtemp shutdown  -  plan to add an overspeed trip soon. I still start by hand using the decompression levers and shutdown the regular way. Sorry, don't have anything to offer for autostart.   Engine is easy to start by hand, but have been thinking about air starting - like what you have done - but probably won't get around to adding that til after I hurt myself  ;)

The auto overtemp shutdown works well - so does the emergency air shutdown - closing the emergency shutdown air valve slows the engine down nice and easy.  Using a 12 volt system to power the radiator fan, solenoid, hour meter, wvo pre-heat as well as some lights etc.

Hope something here helps

Fred