Author Topic: Oil Pressure Indicator on Changfa 195  (Read 17247 times)

Billyrob

• View Profile
Oil Pressure Indicator on Changfa 195
« on: May 10, 2008, 11:43:07 PM »
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a Changfa 195 Diesel engine (12 HP)(Electric Start)(Hopper Cooling).    I have not yet made any attempt to start this engine.   I have been reading some of the posts.

I have two questions.    On the cylinder head is a red "pop-up" oil pressure indicatior that seems to be fed by a steel line from the oil pump (behind the flywheel) .    Question #1.   Does this oil line feed the "pop-up" indicator only or does it also supply pressurized oil to engine parts such as the rocker arms?

Question #2.     Is there anthing I should do/check before I attempt to start this motor?  (oil, water and fuel of course).

Thanks for you help.   I am really excited about this new project.   I retire in 31 days!!!   WHOOOPPPEEEE.

Best regards,

Bill Robinson

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Oil Pressure Indicator on Changfa 195
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 02:01:51 AM »
Lucky you I'll be so old I will fart dust.....

That might be an improvement over the current fear and mistrust of the fart....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Billyrob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 02:27:15 AM »
Hi Doug,

Yes retirement looks good.   39 years with General Electric in Large Generator  and Motors Engineering.    I helped design generators with rotor diameters approaching 60 feet and field currents of 4,000 amps.   This changfa diesel generator project is a nice change.

Cheers,

Bill

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 02:37:37 AM »
May 2 was my retirement date from the Canadian Armed Forces after 27 years of service

The following Monday I started my new career as a Public Servant for DND, doing the same job... retirement was too long :D

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 02:40:22 AM »
There are only two golden rules once your over 45........

Never waste a hard on
Never trust a fart
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 02:51:08 AM »
Hi Doug,

Yes retirement looks good.   39 years with General Electric in Large Generator  and Motors Engineering.    I helped design generators with rotor diameters approaching 60 feet and field currents of 4,000 amps.   This changfa diesel generator project is a nice change.

Cheers,

Bill

Cool someone else with some perspective your experience will be a lot of help around here.

So you did stuff like this old girl and larger?
http://www.putfile.com/pic/5611917
Where I work this is about as big as they come untill you get into the realy big guys at the mill.

This fellow is running off a twin SILPAC. Very reliable unit might not be your area but pass it along 20 years and still running.......
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 03:41:32 AM »
Sorry to get back ontopic.  Ahem.   ;)  I recently bought a new Cangfa 1115 and it sounds like it has the same red popup oil pressure indicator as you describe on your 195.  The manual is of no help. I believe that the oil pump, unbypassed directs full pump pressure through the external oil line you identified to the bottom of this plunger that is in that sight glass (clear plastic) on top of the rocker cover.  The plunger is sprung on a very stiff spring which leads me to believe that it is not only an indicator, but acts as the oil pressure regulator for the entire engine.  I believe that it bleeds off enough oil into the top end to keep a constant oil pressure in the circuit between it and the oil pump.

I was thinking of putting a pressure gauge into this line and once I see what is there, installing a cartridge oil filter in this line also, provided the pressure is not higher than 125 PSI or so cold.  The spin-on filter on my VW diesel plant sees 115 PSI when cold, dropping to 50 PSI hot.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Stan

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 05:01:15 AM »
Andrew, don't forget "never pass by a bathroom".
Stan

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 06:47:37 AM »
Billyrob

The indicator is to tell you that there is adequate oil pressure reaching the valve rocker assembly.
It is also an indicator of general oil pressure in the whole system.
Some people tap into this line and install a low oil pressure shutdown switch.

One thing you may have to do in order to get the engine to start, is prime the fuel system.
I farted around with my Changfa 195 for two days until Martin Nile told me to purge the fuel system of air.

This basicaly involves starting where the fuel line connects to the fuel filter (with the fuel petcock open), and cracking each connection in the system until fuel flows without any air bubbles or spurts. When you get to the fuel pump discharge connection, rotate the ingine by hand in order to pulse fuel through the pump. Then close the connection and do the same thing where the high pressure injector line meets the fuel injector at the cylinder head.

Hope this helps,
Veggie

Billyrob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 01:53:08 PM »
Hi Rcavictim and Veggie,

Thanks for the advice.   You are correct, the manual is useless.     I have tried to determine if there is other functions of the oil line to the head assembly from the diagrams, but there is just not enough information.

I suspected that in addition to the "pop-up" oil pressure indicator that some of this oil may be used for the rocker arms but I could not determine that.

The thought that this may be the oil pressure relief valve as well never occured to me......  interesting.

The reason I ask was that I an thinking of putting an oil pressure gauge and switch in this line as well.    However I want to understand what the purpose of the oil line is (in addition to the pop-up oil pressure indicator).

I would like to have a better indication of oil pressure (gauge) rather than a simple pop up indicator.

My plan is to take everything off the motor that does not need to be there.  I will have an external radiator cooling system, fuel system and an improved exhaust/ intake arrangement.

I am reading these forums with interest because I can see from the wealth of information here that it can save me some headaches.

I appreciate your help guys !!!!!!!!

regards,

Bill Robinson

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 02:15:23 PM »
Billyrob// got me beat /38 years with the big guy..G.E.//retired but still working for him//getting paid to retire and then getting paid again to do the same job/// sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

lev-l-lok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »
Danger! Danger! Bill Robinson, (sorry, could'nt help it) The 185 thru 1125 Changfas have extraordinary oil pressure, above 320 PSI cold, in that line. This level of pressure can and has caused severe leaks of 2 types. Type 1 is finances, IE: wallet leaks, due to parts replacement and oil refill costs. Type 2 is more precious, and is the amount of time spent running  or waiting for said replacement parts, as well as cleaning up all the oil sprayed out of the failed parts.

Paul
Paul

1922 Fairbanks 6 hp Z, Chang Fa ZS1115G / Fuking ST-10, Lister? soon!

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 04:12:39 PM »
Danger! Danger! Bill Robinson, (sorry, could'nt help it) The 185 thru 1125 Changfas have extraordinary oil pressure, above 320 PSI cold, in that line. This level of pressure can and has caused severe leaks of 2 types. Type 1 is finances, IE: wallet leaks, due to parts replacement and oil refill costs. Type 2 is more precious, and is the amount of time spent running  or waiting for said replacement parts, as well as cleaning up all the oil sprayed out of the failed parts.

Paul

320 PSI cold?!  Yikes-o-matic.  C'est extraordinare plus de holy crap Batman!  I'd heard a rumor to this effect.  Glad to have first hand word. That requires much respect in any proposed line tapping and possible add ons of filters, gauges and pressure loss detection switches for sure.

Thanx  lev-l-lok .  Sorry to hear this issue caused you problems.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Billyrob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 07:07:10 PM »
Hi lev-l-lok,

Be carefull, the "Danger, Danger Will Robinson" quote will certainly date you.    There are not a lot of us here that may get that joke.

On the topic of oil pressure.....  I am not surprised to hear the 300 PSI number.    But as pointed out by rcavictim, it certainly means a more carefull approach to adding any extra instumentation.     Any extra device would need to be able to withstand this pressure on a continuous basis.     300 PSI means that most automotve devices will not stand up...

I have a Yanmar L60 (6 HP air cooled) and it will develop 240 PSI cold everntually settling down to 150 PSI hot.

Oil filtration does not mean that all the oil has to pass thtough the filter.   I have seen lubricatioon systems where only a small percentage of the oil is run through a "super filter".     Over a period of time all the oil eventually passes through the "super filter" and becomes very clean.

Do a web search on "Franz (Frantz) Filters" and you can find information on the concept.   This is an old idea where a roll of toilet paper was used as a "super filter" in automotive engines in addition to the regular filrer (which eventually does nothing).

Just some more stuff to keep this Changfa Oil Pressure discussion going.........

Best regards.

Bill Robinson

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 01:50:33 AM »
Danger Bill Robinson!  There is that better?  :D   Actually more on here that are old enough to know that worm named Dr. Smith and the helpful robot than you first feared I think.  Inotherwords we are the Quinn Martin generation.  Remember Voryage to the bottom of the sea, oh The Invaders!  Do a google on Invaders for neat sound and video clips of that eerie intro.  "David Vincent, a man too long without sleep looking for a road that he never found and a closed diner......."

But as far as your point that all the oil does not have to pass through the filter.  I totally agee.  I think it makes sense to tap a portion of the oil flow from the outside high pressure line via a T and restricter orfice to a fine bypass filter as you suggest that can then drain into the sump.  That way it will not have hardly any bursting pressure working on it, trying to rip the metal case open at the seams.

Speaking of oil.  My new 1115 has about 30 hours on it now started with SAE#30 and I checked the dipstick today.  the oil is still a clean golden color.  Fantastic!  The book said do first change at 100 hrs, but I plan to do one very soon and clean the sump magnet that I put in during the initial inspection prior to first smoke.  This engine broke in well and makes no exhaust smoke.  I am quite impressed and am thinking of buying a second 1115.  I'm even thinking of putting one in a light compact car like a Geo Metro.  How about 100 MPG and capable of highway speed.  I'm thinking it could do this!
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1