Puppeteer

Author Topic: 16-2 Progress  (Read 17029 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
16-2 Progress
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:42:18 PM »
I am keeping busy on the Lister 16-2 project.  Here is the current status.  I am finally getting her back together with fresh pistons, rings bearings, and gaskets.  The next area of attention will be the injection pumps, injectors, and the entire fuel system.

Bob

I discovered what did this engine in.  The locknut that held the #2 cam follower for the injector pump came loose, then fell off.  The cam follower was free to rotate instead of tracking on the cam.  The follower was skidding and tore up the roller and cam. 

With the #2 injection pump not working the engine had very low power.  It was traded in on something else at least 25 years ago and had been sitting ever since.

That is all repaired now with a fresh cam, new roller and pin, and is as good as new.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
Re: 16-2 Progress
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »
Bob,

That's a really nice looking engine.  Every time I see a pic of an English Lister, I find myself admiring the smoothness of the castings and the grain of the iron, which you can see even in pics sent over the internet. 

You DO know not to bolt down the heads prior to tightening the lower coolant intake visible in Picture 4  below, don't you?  I'd hate to see those flanges crack from misalignment.

Looking around your shop (hope you don't mind my snooping) you've got some nice toys to play with!

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:54:36 PM »
Yes Qinn,
I attached the lower pipe and the air inlet pipe prior to tightening the cylinders.  Thanks for the head's up. 

On the 4th picture, I came up with an Automann exit pipe that will go on.  It ties the two hot water outlets together with a cast iron pipe instead of all those hose clamps, rubber couplings  and a tee. 

All my best,

Bob

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:13:10 PM »
Qin,
Thanks for the comments about the shop.  I could email more or post if anyone wants to see them.  That might be an idea for a thread of pictures of peoples shops.  I have been accumulating tools as long as I can remember.  I take on work ocasionally that helps the cash flow.  Not as much lately.

The origional paint was chipped and stained all over.  I went over the block, cylinders and heads with a pneumatic needle scaler and that knocked the paint right off leaving the primer.  A quick polish with a small angle grinder with a wire brush attached smoothed things up.  I have a long way to go before painting.  The valve covers have paint stripper on them right now and small parts go in the home made sand blast cabinet visible along the wall.

The quality of the castings and the workmanship of the Durnsley folks make these a pleasure to work on. 

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:41:32 PM »
Geez, what a beautiful piece of work. 

I'm curious what the beliefs are among the many viewers about painting machinery.  I'm a brush guy with the first coat a little thinned and getting that first coat on just as soon as possible and pre-assembly.  I noticed your engine is way past half way assembled and still no paint?  What is the general feeling among our veterans?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Stan

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 03:14:33 AM »
I'm a brush guy, also a plain simple hardware store machine paint, stock colour guy.  Makes for easy touch ups, not as exotic as 2 part epoxy but then they didn't have that at Dursley.
Stan

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 03:25:45 PM »
The injection pumps have been overhauled and installed.  I went thru the governor linkage and made all new stainless steel pins and pivots.  Fresh injectors are on and the high pressure pipes are cleaned and installed temporarily.  Attention now is on the fuel system and the piping.  The origional fuel pipes were rusted and one was broken.  I bent up new stainless steel lines and silver soldered the ends on.  Tonight I hope to get the filter mounted and the line built up running to it.  A tank mount was made and should be welded up tonight.

Keeping the momentum going...

Bob

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 12:52:47 PM »
I've been working on all new fuel lines.  The origionals are 10mm diameter steel.  They were badly  rusted and one was cracked off.  I built all new lines with .375 304 stainless and quality time with a hand held tubing bender.  All the joints are silver soldered.   Here are some shots.

Bob

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 12:58:49 PM »
With lines done and pumps timed I added fuel, just to check for leaks of course.  Then I dont know what happened.  All of a sudden......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHV8XwDF0SM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mGX0sechSU

Bob
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 01:22:18 PM by rleonard »

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »
Your link comes up page not found.  What happened ot the engine? 
MLG Gib Key Pullers

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 01:23:34 PM »
Sorry, I just fixed that.

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »
Dial up here so I can't view videos.  Did a fuel line rupture or something?
MLG Gib Key Pullers

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 01:42:13 PM »
No, nothing so sinister, it just started on the second revolition.  The clips are of it running just outside my shop.

There is no cooling system attached so the run was brief.  All is in order and the engine ran nicely.

I later pulled the gib keys (one at a time) and started the engine to attampt to break loose the flywheels from the shaft.  They remain stuck tight though.  As a safety precaution i fastened a 2" shaft collar to the crankshaft to be sure that the flywheel stayed on.  Unfortunately it was not needed.

Bob

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 05:32:21 PM »
I can almost feel your rush.  Great photos and a happy seventh? inning.  I'm still worried about the paint.  Thanks for sharing your hard work.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 09:47:08 PM »
Your project is looking really good !! May I ask where you got your engine spares ?? Would love to see a picture of how the governor linkage is tied together. Paul.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire