Puppeteer

Author Topic: TIKI TORCH FUEL  (Read 22889 times)

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
TIKI TORCH FUEL
« on: April 26, 2008, 04:42:46 AM »
I thought that I'd read somewhere here that somebody had run Tiki Torch Fuel in their diesel.  I just found a quite large supply of it (about 700gallons) that I can buy quantities of 70 gallon cases for about a hundred bucks.  Any opinions what it might do to my 195?
Dung-fong #1 - Mfg. Date 1980/8kw Winco gen...In pieces
Dung-fong #2 - Mfg. Date also 1980/8kw Winco gen...runs
      totally awesome after 10+ years of sitting.
1987 Ford F350, crewcab, dually 4X4.....Cummins Powered...
1956 Willy's all-a-round great four wheeler, VERY CUSTOM....

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: TIKI TORCH FUEL
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 01:20:13 AM »
I think that was me. I burned about 1 gal of citronella oil since the container had cracked. Other than smelling a bit funny it ran fine. This is just a SWAG, but I think it would be ok in a 195 although you might want to thicken it up a bit with some WMO if you have some available.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 09:18:11 PM »
OK, let me ask this a little differently. 

Does anyone have any idea of what the Tiki Torch Oils are made of? 

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 10:53:46 PM »
Paraffin? Kerosene? Perhaps the purveyor of the product can tell you exactly what is in the can.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 11:24:11 PM »
Thanx Tom....I've done a bit of searching on the internet and have come up with nothing useful.  Next week, I'll be near the business that has the oil I'm interested in.  I'm going to stop by and get some more information on the manufacturer and try to contact them. 

Will a parafin oil burn well in a diesel? 

This same place has quite a few 5 gal cans of kerosine, but they want $20 a can.  There's no savings there.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 11:37:22 PM »
Sorry, I don't get out much.  What in tarnation is a Tiki Torch?  Is it the thing you see them light in a cave in the movies that involves what looks like straw tied to the end of a stick?  Is it something that adorns the outdoor patios in Hawaii?  Was it what came back from the Kon Tiki Expedition?   ;D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 12:56:20 AM »
If it was me , I'd buy all I could, and assume it's pretty much the same as kerosene.  As such, I'd mix in about 10% motor oil before using it as fuel in a Diesel engine.  I've read that straight kerosene is a lousy lubricant and pretty hard on injection pumps.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 12:58:54 AM by Jim Mc »

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »
rca....a tiki torch is an outdoor yard light that burns this type of oil.

Jim mc.....I believe that you're right.  I should buy all I can, but I'm going to start with a single box of 70 gallons first and try it.  I was thinking of mixing about 5 gallons of diesel to about 15 or 20 gallons of the torch oil.  I'd use the motor oil but I don't have any way of processing it and I'm not sure of just mixing the used motor oil without doing anything to it.  Any ideas?  Probably, a gallon of unprocessed, used oil would'nt hurt anything mixed with 5 to 10 gallons of the torch oil.  I've got a spare 195 diesel just it case it didn't work well.  :):):):)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 05:19:33 PM »
Backroad,

I have squirrelled away a bunch of UMO and WTF which I plan to burn directly as diesel engine fuel by the two supply method, second supply with heaters where necessary including at the injector.  Start engine on something more like straight diesel, maybe diesel and hydraulic fluid mix.  I use gravity over time to take a lot of the undesireables out of the waste oil, this is to be followed up with a polishing filter that I started building a year ago and need to finish pretty soon.  I am not going to worry about litmus paper strips and adding alkaline (base) to neutralize ph.

My filter is a fancy contraption that holds an 8 foot long lengh of 6 inch PVC pipe vertically with the ends capped and to be filled with kitty litter or Fuller's Earth.  Oil will be forced from the bottom up through it with a small gear pump.  This large pipe pivots in the center on a angle iron welded frame that allows it to be tipped to facilitate emptying and re-charging the filter medium.  Pressure gauges will show when the medium needs to be replaced.

Since the first couple of feet of filter medium will be the stuff that gets plugged with contaminants quickly, I plan to bury a screened basket with pull handles so I can drag this section of filter medium out of the main pipe as frequently as needed without changing the whole load unecessarily.

I found that with WTF there are so many fines in it that will coke up the injector very quickly even with filtering through first a 10 micron followed by an element rated at 2 microns, that it is clear much finer 'polishing' is necessary on this type of used oil.  Diluting the 2 micron filtered WTF with diesel did not stop the coking and engine fouling, it only reduced it linearly in time with the ratio of added diesel.  i.e. 50% diesel and the thing ran twice as long before geting really sick.  I was using my 1.5 Litre, 4-cylinder VW diesel engine in a power plant for this testing.  I suggest that you will need to experiment if you try to use used engine oils as fuel, mixed or straight.  Your results may change between batches also depending on the variability of your sources.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 05:27:09 PM »
The WMO would only be used in small quanities to add lubrication to the Torch Oil.  The torch oil would probably be light on some of the lubrication qualities.  I'd used diesel, but It would most likely take too much of it to add any significat lubrication.

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 05:58:52 AM »
BACKROAD  I have run it in my 4hp air cooled DI diesel. It smelled nice and it kept the bugs away. ;D I have a video of it somewhere.

I think it would work well in a Roid or changfa type. Engine I tested it a 3,000 rpm unit.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 04:02:17 AM by horsefly76 »
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 02:29:07 AM »
Well......I brought back from Prescott, my first full pallet of the torch oil (also says citronella on it) and I got it for a better deal than I had originall thought.  The full pallet had 36 boxes of 6 half gallon bottles and they sold in to be for $50.  Less than 50 cents a gallon.  I did the first trial mix of it today.  2 gallons of the torch oil to 5 gal. of diesel and it's running great....uh....wait a minute let me go double check................................................yes, it's still running great.  In fact, I think it's got a little less diesel knock with the pockita...pokita sound.

If I had the money I'd buy the rest of the semi load.  He can't hardly sell the stuff and a pallet is all my Jeep Comanche can handle at a time.  Another one next trip to the big city of Prescott.

Backroad in Bagdad....................................................................................AZ...............................

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 02:30:28 AM »
Horsefly76, did you run it straight or mix it?

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 01:05:36 AM »
I must be getting  brave.  I just added to my fuel tank another 5 gallons of the tiki torch oil with a 50-1 mix of two stroke oil.  I think that I had better quit adding to my 55 gallon drum so I know what works and what doesn't.  Please remember that the diesel I'm feeding this to is a 195 Dungfong (aka Changfa).  I've got two of them just in case.  My quick figures of price per gallons so far is about a buck.  The rest of the semi load might just last me a lifetime unless I get brave enough to feed it to my '87 F350 Ford Crewcab 4X4 with a first generation Cummins under the hood.

Backroad in Bagdad...............................................................................................AZ...

slowspeed

• Spend less save more
  • 12/2 3phase 25kw gen head
    • View Profile
    • Deserthydrogen
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 07:12:41 PM »
Did you put any of that  torch oil in the truck
I have a line on a 195 Dyngfong for $600 with the 8kw gen
Get it ??

Front road Phoenix
LISTER 12/2