Puppeteer

Author Topic: Help: IP Roller lifter worn and torn  (Read 9333 times)

cschuerm

• View Profile
Re: Help: IP Roller lifter worn and torn
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 01:13:10 AM »

Hi Chris,
yeah, it's the end opposite the cam gear... and not enough oil makes perfect sense. The way it continued to wear, and also, the other side has given me no problems at all...

I see the pic you attached... GREAT looking engine, love the dual belt setup... nice.

I have a question about "drilling the stud"... do you mean that you drilled an oil passage down the center of the bolt and threaded it for a fitting? ... that's cool solution...

I'm not sure i know what you mean "bleed oil"... I assume the oil is coming from the oil pump? Did you just replace the oil gauge with a fitting for the hose?

thanks
sam

Sam,
First, thanks for the kind words.  I've had a lot of fun building up and enjoying my Roid.  After keeping my wife warm and happy during our 10 day ice storm, even she appreciates it now :-)
To answer your question: yes, I center drilled an oil passage through the center of the bolt, then carefully chamfered the end where it contacts the lifter so it wouldn't scrape or spall.  Tapped the end of the bolt for a small 90 degree fitting to attach the hose to.  I have a bypass oil filter which picks up oil from the top of the pump and returns the filtered oil to this bolt location.  Killed two birds with one stone as it were.  The system works really well and I've had no wear shown on the lifter since I made this mod.
good luck!
Chris