Puppeteer

Author Topic: Last night's rescue mission  (Read 17874 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Last night's rescue mission
« on: April 17, 2008, 02:11:13 PM »
I completed a rescue mission yesterday.  I was able to rescue this proud old lady from eternal condemnation to sitting in a shed never seeing the light of day and fresh diesel fuel again.  I had previously recovered the heads and now have them overhauled and ready to go on.  I have all the parts (I hope) that I'll need to freshen things up.

I'll shoot more pictures after I get it off the truck.  It was late last night and I shot these at first light this morning.

I think that I have LAD; Lister Acquisition Disorder.  "My name is Bob and I have LAD"

Bob

The number is 738 16-2 28  making it the 738th engine built in 1978 according to
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/EngineDating/Dating5.htm

What does this sticker mean?

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

abbamovers

• View Profile
Re: Last night's rescue mission
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 02:41:25 PM »
Bob , you lucky SOB.
Those Amish folks must have a whole bunch of these squirrled away.
At the rate you're going , you will soon be this side of the Atlantic's equivelant to the
UK's StuckInMuck.  8)

P.S. I think the sticker is an " Export " only sticker . Peter will probably know better.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 02:52:40 PM by abbamovers »

Stan

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 02:49:27 PM »
Congratulations Bob, there's a special place in heaven reserved for those who rescue such grand old ladies from the chinese foundarys.
Stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 08:24:16 PM »
P.S. I think the sticker is an " Export " only sticker . Peter will probably know better.

"The Queens Award For Export".

There is the original "The Queens Award For Industry" as well.

Awarded to companies that achieve consistently high levels of export, or innovation/design in the case of the latter.

Peter

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 11:25:39 PM »
Well that is a fine sticker you have got to restore there.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 02:03:46 AM »
Thanks folks.  I got tied up lawn rolling tonight and only managed to get it off the truck tonight before rain moves in for the weekend.  If the moles had not destroyed my yard it would have been easier.  I am using a pavement compactor to flatten things back to sometning closer to flat.  Still somewhat teeth jarring and I can feel it in my back.

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 03:34:17 AM »
Congratulations Bob, there's a special place in heaven reserved for those who rescue such grand old ladies from the chinese foundarys.
Stan

I"d have to suggest it's somewhere near Illinois. 

Personally, I would have bought at least $100 worth of lotto tickets on the way home just in case I was having the luckiest day of my life. 

For those of you that are wondering what we're carrying on about I'd have to guess there are less than a hundred of these in the whole US that are not under lock and key of a collector.  Does anyone have some real numbers or at least an educated guess about the import numbers to the states not to forget survival statistics.

I'd give about the same odds for finding a MOT(?) passable 1071 Cooper S in a barn somewhere in Surrey.

Very, very nice find and rescue.

LG
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 04:00:24 AM »
Unless I have lost count this makes 5 for you?
MLG Gib Key Pullers

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 04:44:44 AM »
5 have passed thru my hands.  The first is a beautiful 12-2 that I am storing for a friend.  I can only hope that he decides to leave it here, but he is slowly building a home for it.  Next came the 16-2.  Then I wanted a 6-1 to supply electrical loads that did not require the fuel burn of the 16-2.  It took about a year and a half but I found a 3.5-1 that I bought.  Having that, I built the generator frame and everything else in anticipation of swapping the engine out when a suitable 6-1 surfaced.  That happened in November and the 3.5 found a new happy home and the 6-1 is now on the generator stand ready to go.  (I did get the head on tonight and fired it up).  The new 16-2 does not have a designated purpose as of yet.  Once gone thru it will be a backup for the first twin for now.  We'll see what happens down the road. 

Then there is that 12-2 with the line shaft and air compressor.  I was told that it would be fall before any decision happens regarding it's disposition. 

Bob

Stan

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 09:28:54 PM »
LG....If you look at the numbers of Listers made in each year, then calculate that a significant percentage were shipped "overseas", I'd guess there are a lot of them out there sitting in back yard sheds with wifey nagging that it has to go and the shed has to be cleaned out.  I've said many times here that it just takes concentrated looking/talking.  Like someone once said, "seek and ye shall find". 
Stan

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 01:59:38 AM »
Well I guess that's about the wrongest I've been this week. - Ok Ok this month! 
Five in hand and one in the bush as well!  What a guy.

Grand Master rleonard should be writing a thread about how to find these units. 

Maybe I should shelve the Wimbledon adventure and try to find my long lost relatives in Southern Illinois.

Anyone ever heard of McCarty Music in the Southern part of the state?

Low Gear

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 03:46:30 AM »
You guys are giving me far too much credit.  Here I am in the shop;

After a weekend of spraying 5 gallons of kerosene at the engine I found that it is green!!
I don't think that the oil was ever changed.  It was solid like jello and would not drain until I scooped and sprayed it out with kerosene.  A nasty job.  I had spots all over me.

Normal rod bearing wear

There is a lot of wear in the top piston groove.  Note the top chrome ring.

That is it for Sunday night

Bob

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 11:48:42 AM »
Bob,

That engine has a lot of hours on it by the look of the LR bearings.  Thanks for posting great detail pics.  I think you have a very sweet forklift.  I sure could have save d a lot of time and sweat yesterday if I had that or my own tired front end Hough loader running while yanking the engine out of my TD-14A Drott crawler/FE loader in preparation for conversion into the base section of my newly re-designed VAWT wind power tower.  I want to get this built THIS SUMMER!!!!!!!!
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 01:42:59 AM »
Coold you shoot a few pics of the oil galleries for the big end dippers? the 12/2 roids don't have them I'm trying to make some to use with xyers hollow dippers and the non groved upper big end bearings. Are your dippers hollow?
Congrats! good find!
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 02:59:17 AM »
Tiger, here you go;

Please tell me, what is the purpose of this adjustment on the injector cam cover and how should it be set?  There is one on each side.

Anything else you need shots of just ask.

Bob