Author Topic: My New WVO Processor  (Read 55769 times)

VeggieDiesel

My New WVO Processor
« on: April 13, 2008, 05:01:14 AM »
Hi All,

I finally got around to making a video of my WVO processor project.
The unit takes waste veggie oil and heats, dehydrates, and filters it ready for use.
1] Heat is provide by a barrel band heater (Can heat up to 225 f).
2] Filtration is provide by a Dieselcraft type centrifuge and a 1/3 HP gear pump.
3] Dehydration is accomplished using a 1/16 HP blower circulating air across the hot oil and exiting through a discharge pipe.

The video can be seen here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIH97VQ6j8Y

The next step is to add timers for each function so that the process can be "hands-off".

For example.
1 - Start Barrel Heater and run for 3 hours (gets oil up to 190 f). Then stop heater.
2 - Start pump and blower
3 - 3 hours later, stop pump and blower.

Ideas welcome !!

Veggie

adhall

• View Profile
Re: My New WVO Processor
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 07:07:20 PM »
If you are looking for a clean and flexible way to control the time sequence and you like fussing with gadgets, you might consider a Siemens LOGO PLC. One nice thing about them is that you can program them using the buttons on the front--no seperate programmer required.

Here's on on sale at Flea-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Siemens-LOGO-6ED1-052-1MD00-0BA5-DI-8-DO-4-12-24RC_W0QQitemZ200214787989QQihZ010QQcategoryZ97184QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

cold comfort farm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:25:49 PM »
Very neat setup.
Would you be so kind as to draw a schematic of the setup and where did you get the pump from.

Kind regards

Stephen

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 05:51:51 AM »
Hi Stephen,

I will try to come up with a schematic that I can post here.
In the meantime, you may find a bit more information here...

www.logicworks.ca

Click on the link named "Waste Veggie Oil Processor"

Cheers,
Veggie
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 05:53:45 AM by Veggie »

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:26:44 PM »
Jens,

Mist washing might be a good addition to my system.
Although I'm not sure if it is necessary after the centrifuge and the dehydration.
Perhaps some of the members who are running WVO could pipe in and tell us what they think.
The problem for me at this stage is that my tank drain is approx 1/2" above the bottom of the drum. Would have to modify the tank be able to  drain all the water.

To correctly asses the need for water washing, we would have to determine what is creating the "Tea" color in your sample and weather it's harmful. Anyone know ???
I suppose I could mist wash a small sample and see if I get the same colored water as you.

Being that the dehydration occurs during the my centrifuge cycle, I suppose I would do a water wash first, then add the heat/filtration/dehydration to finish.

We could expand the discussion to all WVO users and get a feel for what's working out there...

1 - Who out there is running WVO after filtering and drying.?
2 - Any engine problems associated with WVO useage?
3 - Who is washing their WVO fuel ?

Veggie

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 06:02:50 AM »
Stephen,

Regarding your question about the pump:

- Make: "Sterling"
- Type: Bronze Gear Pump
- Model: BJN
- Rating: 3 USGPM when driven at 900 rpm

There are many companies that carry a such a pump.
In Canada: Canadian tire, Western Pump (Calgary)
In the USA: Try Rona (Plumbing section), Eagle hardware,and most local pump shops.

Hope this helps,
Veggie

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 06:07:52 AM »
Hi,

I resurrected this thread to give an update on the solids removal capability of the centrifuge.
These small centrifuges (Dieselcraft) are quite effective at removing particulates.
The pictures below show the solids collected after running WVO through my processor for 3 hours @ 150 deg. f.
This was a 25 gallon batch. The oil was dark brown at the start of the process. When done, it was a clear gold color much like new veggie oil.

The finished product can be seen here being pumped into the storage drum....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPFEf4npBhQ

Cheers,
Veggie

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:35:22 AM by Veggie »

CD in BC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 01:19:11 AM »
A very nicely built unit indeed.  Quick connects I see too.  Well done!

I have no doubt that centrifuging works, (I've got one fixed up to use and am restoring a large one) but I'm also now wondering if a good washing system will achieve the same thing with a lot less hardware, and perhaps remove substances that even centrifuging will not?

Of course prolonged settling would be necessary afterwards I know.

Anyone compared the results?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 01:24:56 AM by CD in BC »

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 04:29:18 AM »
Jens,

I am very interested to see if the combination of water wash and centrifuge is the way to go.
I one sense, I hope that there's no benefit to the addition of a wash because I may have trouble finding time to built it  :-).
On the other hand, I can't argue good test results, and if you discover that the wash pulls out things that the centrifuge leaves behind, then I seriously must consider washing.

Looking forward to your report,
Veggie

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 03:49:12 AM »
Jens,

Your point about the dissolved solids, acids, and cleaners is a good one.
Please let us know when you get it up and running. (I know you're very busy with the Genny building)

Veggie

cold comfort farm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 01:08:56 PM »
I run waste veg through 3 filters
1, pillow case to catch the chip crud
2, 20 micron sock filter
3, 1 micron sock filter

All three are stuffed inside each other.  I dont heat (very often only when very cold) or de water or check PH.  I run my veg in an unaltered Landrover Freelander TD4 Common Rail engine.  I run at 30% winter and 40% summer (wvo) I have completed 10k+ with no change in performance or starting.  I just keep things clean and simple and have changed my fuel filter once about 7K.

I am not saying this has or has not damaged my engine ir pump??  This is what I am doing.  I would like to find someone close with a centrifuge to see if any more crud would come out.

Stephen

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 02:45:56 AM »
Stephen,

When you state 30% winter WVO, what is the other 70% ?
Is it diesel fuel.? I read that diesel and WVO do not react well at the molecular level.
Having said that, I'm certainly not an expert and I am open to correction.
I have a friend who has a company that blends diesel fuel additives. He informed me that (from his perspective) the best way to run WVO in a diesel is to blend 85%WVO with 15% regular unleaded gasoline(as a diluent), and add 100ml of cetane booster to enhance complete combustion.
It would be very usefull if you could keep us all updated as you add more miles to the Land Rover.
PS: Is the common rail Land Rover a "Direct injection" engine or Indirect?

Cheers,
Veggie

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 03:54:11 AM »
Anything wrong with just plain ol' heating the fuel up ?  Start and stop on dino-diesel,then switch to  heated wvo  (up to to 90C) - seems to burn fine and i'd swear the engine runs smoother.  A friend was telling me to try spraying atomized h2o into the air intake to help decarbon the top end. Might give that a try this week.

Cheers, Fred

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 04:43:02 AM »
captfred,

That works for Lister(oid)s, not so easy for land rovers and non-stationary diesels like the one Stephen has.

The big question that we can't seem to get answered on this forum is the long term effects of running WVO
in diesels. Maybe there's just not enough data out there to get a good report yet.
There does not seem to be any information about engines that were torn down after 1000+ hours.
My biggest concern is cylinder bore scoring from piston/ring coking (the expensive stuff).
Most any diesel will run fine for the first few hundred hours an almost any fuel.
Somebody posted some pictures of a long term WVO tear-down on the coppermine photo gallery but that's not available anymore.
It would be great if we coud view that information.

captfred, please keep us posted as you put more hours on your WVO engine.
PS: Thats a nice looking setup you have there !

Cheers,
Veggie

cold comfort farm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 07:42:47 AM »
Veggie, List,
I run 30-40% WVO to 60-70% diesel.  It mixes well. I even add the WVO after the Diesel and let driving around mix it.
The common rail Land Rover engine is a direct injection.  very high pressures involved.

This is a little experiment I did a few weeks back on WVO viscosity.  It was prompted by reading about adding acetone, but I now suspect that it just helps clean the injectors a little (my guess only)
Its a very simple drip test and WVO may act different under pressure but its the best I could do.

Apparatus:
1  x washing up bottle with the bottom chopped off, then invert so the little hole is at the bottom.
1 x measuring cylinder
1 x Thermometer
1 x Accurate weighing scales to help check repeatability of liquid measurement.
1 x Kitchen with wife absent at time of experiment (although she said it would have been nice to have helped)

OK I added 250ml of diesel to the washing up bottle and allowed it to drizzle out and timed how long the bottle took to empty.
I then repeated it with all of the below items. The experiment was repeated 3 times each and averaged the results.

Diesel @ 15c   30.63sec
vegoil @ 14.5c   1.05
veg oil @ 20c   49
veg oil @ 70c   33.45
new corn oil   51.31

veg oil 20% pet + 0.2 acetone   51.75
veg oil with 20%petrol   51.75
veg oil with 0.2% acetone   59.35
60% derv 40% veg    34.4  (similar time to veg at 70C)

veg oil with 20%petrol @ 70c   34.81

As you can see veg with acetone does not make much difference under normal conditions, it may have an effect under pressure.  Altering the temp of the oil is the best and main factor in reducing viscosity (but I am sure we all knew that)

Adding a few blobs of washing up oil made no difference to the viscosity either.

Girls and boys, don’t heat oil especially with petrol in it unless supervised by the fire brigade and St johns ambulance. 

No animal or human was hurt during these experiments.

Hope this helps someone

Stephen