Puppeteer

Author Topic: Power Anand (powerline) or JKSON or ?  (Read 7125 times)

Craig

• View Profile
Power Anand (powerline) or JKSON or ?
« on: April 10, 2008, 03:09:39 AM »
Anyone care to share a brand preference?  I keep reading everything I can find about all types of Listeroids.  It seems like sand is a given no matter what brand you buy.  It seems like build quality is hit or miss no matter what brand you buy, and balance /machining / casting problems (voids) seems to be universal as well.  So if you were shopping for a Listeroid, what brand would you be after?  I will only buy from someone who stocks spares and stands behind their products, so consider that a constant.

Thanks for any advice / opinions.

-Craig

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Power Anand (powerline) or JKSON or ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 03:24:45 AM »
I bought a Powerline a couple of years back purely based on the good feelings I got from my email from the Company.
The engine has some sand damage, but Over all still think I made out OK. Atul is a fellow I would do buisness with again and again.

JKson is all Utterpower. You have no connection to India so you have deal with George. His engines also have sand and simmilar problems to other Indian engines but he seems to be fairly good about replacement parts.

There's also Sam Crosby and his engines seem well made too ( and actualy run striaght form the crates ), but he doesn't say much on the internet. Many poeple say he is a nice guy and atleast a good to deal with as and Indian company direct of Utterpower.

Thoughts and opinions are like certain Sphincter we all have Craig....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 02:51:33 PM »
Doug,

So, if all things being equal, you had a choice between a Metro and a Power Anand which way would you go?

Thanks,

-Craig

sanchez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 04:37:55 PM »
Craig,

I have a lovson, the engine came totally clean, perfectly balanced and as proof, is working at the dominican republuic with an average of 4 hours daily. the sand and imperfections is real, but some brand take more care than others. you can see my listeroid at you tube.

good luck.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:15:04 PM »
Craig I can't tell you what engine is better than another so many people have had good ones bad bad ones its up and down.....

I could give you some statistics that I have colected but all that will tell you is how many people with Duds were willing to admit it and the engine you buy could be fresh off the boat or have been sitting in a container in Windsor or Seatle for a couple of years.

I can tell you this Atul Patel answeres all his email.
If you have a problem or question he or someone will reply and perhaps even call you.

I like Atul, I consider him a stand up guy and the same can be said for many of the people in India and this side of the pond. 

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 12:11:32 AM »
Craig

I'll be frank.  It is a crap shoot.  Buy the cheapest one you can find because you have no way to tell what you are getting.  Regardless you will have to rebuild it in order for it to be a longevity engine, so you may as well save yourself some money that you can put into the engine.  It may be a good I dea to get one from the guy closest to you to save on shipping unless someone further down the road can match the shipping charges.

Dealers will make claims that they have the best quality but the truth is they just pass the engine on to you in the cate it was boxed in at the point of origin in India.  My experience is they don't even bother to look in the crate to inspect what they are sending you.  I have seen JK Son, Metro and Field Marshal up close and personal and they all have issues.  One crate from a supplier might have a great engine and the very next crate sitting right next ito it with the consecutive serial number could be a pile of junk.  There is no quality control what-so-ever.  So place your bet, shoot the dice and be prepared for the out come.  You may get lucky and have only a little work to do or you may have to do alot. 
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 12:22:21 AM »
Well said MLG but cheap - expensive doesn't mean much.

More expensive tends to be a little less hit an miss than cheapest possible.

Generaly Craig if you consider this a hobby engine you will not be disapointed.

Some people/brands have a very strong following and suport, pick someone close by who will be there when if you need parts.

Some people had some verry good out of the box engines, it pays to do your home work

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 02:40:24 AM »
Craig,
It’s a given that engine quality varies across the board no matter who you get one from. What does that leave you with? According to most it’s the availability of spare parts and the know how to get things right.

I’ve dealt with Mr. Atul and you could not ask for better communication and cooperation in doing business with anyone. The same can be said of George at Utterpower.  As I said before what does that leave you with …how about knowledge at your finger tips? That is something harder to define and even more difficult to come by.

I’m sure you’ve been to the Utterpower website… there is tons of knowledge to be had…what value does that have?  If you don’t have an Utterpower CD then get one. It will be money well spent.

After devouring everything on the CD then decide who is it that you want to spend your money with….the cost of the engine actually pales in comparison to the time, work and effort you  put into it… none-the-less the longevity you’ll get out of it… if you yourself are as capable  of maintaining it as you need to be.  I bought my engine from Utterpower…I had no surprises mainly because I was well informed as to what I was getting into before hand. 

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 02:53:03 AM »
Seconds engine down from the right Craig IS my engine as built.

http://www.poweranand.com/high_speed_lister_type.htm

Its had some teething pains but If they weren't proud of it then it wouldn't have been on the copmpany web page eh?

You have to have faith in the people, machines are all relative.
I understand the engine and parts buisness in Rajkot is cut throte.
Perhaps in time it will evolve into somethign where quality starts to take over from quantity.
But for now you can get an inexpensive engine ....