Puppeteer

Author Topic: 14/1  (Read 9314 times)

diesel guy

• View Profile
14/1
« on: March 09, 2006, 09:46:07 PM »
Hello, can anyone provide in-depth information on the PS 14/1? Also how does it compare to the Ashwamegh 14/1 in quality? I'm interested in purchacing one.
Thanks
Diesel Guy

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
Re: 14/1
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 12:05:17 AM »
I would lean heavily in the direction of an Ashwamegh. I've owned both brands and specifically the jkson/PS 14/1. I was not happy with mine because the flywheels were not balanced and it hopped all over if it wasn't bolted down. George tried to talked me into believing that they all do this. Neither of the engines I currently own need to be bolted down, but there are anyway. Mis balance has become a pet peeve of mine since owning the Jackson.

EDITED OUT COMMENTS BY MODERATOR -PLEASE NO PERSONAL ATTACKS
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 02:45:56 AM by t19 »
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

fuddyduddy

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 12:21:06 AM »
Chris,
. I post not here,
EDITED MY MODERATOR: PLEASE NO PERSONAL ATTACKS
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 03:00:39 AM by t19 »

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 12:24:27 AM »
Isn't there some rules on this board about outright advertising - even if it is on behalf of another person? 

I've owned Ashwamegh's - do the words "spontaneously exploding gear trains" mean anything to you?
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 02:39:12 AM »
the rules are -this is a message board. no need to shill there is a marketplace area where anyone can post what they have to sell.
if someone asks a question and someone else has an opinion.. that is their opinion. everyone has one and i know i can be among the most opinionated. most of the people dealing in listeroids are good people in my opinion because they see the value in the engines and chose to sell something they like because they want to help others. i doubt anyone is getting rich selling listeroids.

when someone has a preference in brand or make of engine it is because they had good results. qc is not the best on any of them. i personally like ashwamegh. i have heard excellent reports on early ps engines and not so good on later ps engines. but and this is the bottom line.. none of us see all the engines that come in, especially the importers.. most of the crates are shipped never opened.

i love this forum because i enjoy reading the free exchange of information. i want to hear peoples opinions. good and bad. george seems like a good guy, so does joel,so do the few others i have had contact with, but if someone thinks they are lying when they say theirs is the best make. maybe they are.... but i think they believe they have the best ones and i think that is right also, because i dont think most of us would want to sell junk. if someone wanted to sell junk they could make alot more money selling something else.

most of the people on this board seem like the best of people to me, because we all see pretty close to the same things, that we want some energy independence and we think lister cs engines and clones make alot of sense as a way to get there.

ps. if you sell engines or complimentary equipment.. put it in the market place. i know i want to hear about it. just do the board a favor and keep the selling in the selling area

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 02:55:01 AM »
As Rocket said.

Also, no personal attacks, no dual log ins and posting to the world and then aswering yourself about how well you sell.

There are a number of people who post here who also sell. They have been up front, and thier knowldege is needed. 

Now lets play nice, and remember this is the internet, and adult forum about Listers.  I can give you a long list of Childrens and Teenager sites avail if someone wants to go to a site to yell screem, and call eachother names.
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 03:24:55 AM »

What have I lied about? George told me exactly this: That the 14/1 was a single cylinder engine, and that they are all just like the one I had, as in they all will hop around if not bolted down. This is not true. I don't believe there is anyone alive who has never told a lie, but I try my best not to.

Look. I don't sell anything, lister related or otherwise. What motivation do I have to lie about anything or cheat anyone? I have owned 4 indian engines and 2 chinese ones. This could be just the luck of the draw, but we're comparing a track record of 100% of the engines from dealer A have something wrong, and 100% of the engines from dealer B are fine. How would this affect the opinion of any normal person? I'd rate my experience with Joel to be a 7, and with Eric to be a 10. That is just my opinion and I'm sure that there are plenty of people here that would rate their experience with Joel to be a 10.

SUPPOSEDLY the problem with the gear train has been fixed. The one thing that does upset me about ashwamegh is that supposedly the good gears are only an option, and if you don't pay the extra ten bucks or whatever, you will get the exploding gears. I'd certainly post about it if mine grenaded.

I still think Joel is a decent person, but he is very easy to upset.

My apologies to everyone here, including Joel and George. I have tried to say everything in a factual manner, but I got out of line by saying that George lied. I do not know that he did it intentionally or even knew that I took it that way.

If anyone who's been on this board for a while thinks I shouldn't post here any more, I'll be happy to oblige them. These engines are nothing more than a hobby for me as is learning about them from the other people on here. This is getting alot less fun now. :-\
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 04:59:22 AM »
Chris, first of all a lie is only a lie if the if it was the intent of the teller to deceive you.   Being wrong or mistaken or even being careless is different from being a liar.  George didn't run every engine he sold, and certainly hasn't run an example of every model from every brand, so I'd cut him some slack if I were you.  Remember caveat emptor.  If you have his CD he repeatedly says that every engine is different.  Some are smooth, others are jackrabbits no matter what the various vendors may tell you, and that is all I have ever heard from either Joel or George. I was offended at the language you used.  I can only imagine how someone like George felt.  The guy is really a prince and deserves better. 

That said, I'm surprised and frankly impressed by your mea culpa.  The anonymity afforded by the internet isn't conducive to displays of the better side of human nature as you have just shown, and I applaud you for that.  I figured this would turn into a shouting match with everybody taking sides.  The tendency to descend into the Ford vs. Chevy polarization fights is something that I've been expecting to witness here.  And since Willem tried to use the board to his advantage last fall, then someone tried selling Amsoil, then Mike Monteith was seen by some to dominate it to his financial advantage, everybody that has been here a while is a little edgy when someone consistently seems to be advocating one particular brand, as you have been doing. 

Anyway, I for one enjoy your youthful-sounding enthusiasm and hope you'll continue to hang out here and learn like we all are. 

Halfnuts

kpgv

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 05:15:25 AM »
Hi All,
If you want to see people divide into camps, spend a little time in the pitts at a racetrack!!!
Car builders, Engine builders, Oil brands, Tire brands, Fuel brands, Sponsors, Etc.!!!!
Funny thing is, WTSHTF, someone needs something in a hurry, ya get it from whoever ya can.
Pissing Off and Pissing ON anyone in such a small "boat" as we are all on is probably a bad idea.

Kevin

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 07:00:55 AM »
Will I, won't I? Should I, jump in here?
I just opened the crate & took a good look at what I bought. Do I expect the best machine out there. I hope so...Will I be disappointed if it crashes after the first 100 hrs of running?  Yes. but did I know the risks before hand?  I did.
Through this site and the internet I have researched all I could concerning "the best buy" before commiting my self. I am satisfied that I did the best I could in the circumstances available to me. I will accept the consequences. Thank God that what ever happens can be fixed...and repaired..and I don't have to throw out 1200 lbs of scrap...These things are not disposable...they are fixable no matter the brand name. No matter the saleperson.
We are all dealing with the same paramaters when it comes to buying and this is not the American market system we are used to. There are no regulations, no quality control to meet any standards. We are out there dealing with the real world for a change. Lets make the best of it without pushing the other fellow down. I bought a Power Solutions 12/2...I know it is a Jkson...I had researched and was ready to buy an Ashwemegh....I really wanted the compression valves like the original Listers...What to do? I went with  my local dealer whom I could have future recourse to. 
Your decisions will be simillar
I am happy that I ordered the CD from Geo. B. and I am happy I joined this forum. I have learned a lot. I am mostly a lerker, but there are times when we need to speak up.
We are threatened by the EPA and their regulations that will limit these engines from coming into the country in the future. We all need to focus our extra energies in this direction in a positive and constructive way, rather than leeking them into a futile diliberation on sales pitches.
My Humble Opinion....binnie
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 02:03:49 PM »
It's nice to see the way people are responding to this. 

The fact is, all importers take a great deal of risk.  Believe it or not, none of us want to invest $20-40k and get a container load of engines that are pure dogs.  We all try to ensure that every possible problem is solved at the foundry before the engines are shipped and we spend a good deal of time and money in trying to do that.  The last thing any of us want is an unhappy customer whose engine is that one in however many that just will not work right. 

On the other hand, some people are impossible to please - no matter how many times you tell them and no matter how many times they SAY they understand, they really expect Honda quality from an Indian engine.  Just ain't gonna happen folks!

When  I started out as a consumer, I got a bad engine, the flywheels were on the wrong sides, you can guess what happened when I fired it up!  Worse, my buddy, out of the same shipment, got one with two left hand flywheels on it.  My second engine was an Ashwamegh and blew out the cam gear after 100 hours of running.  We knew that the engines were not perfect and fixed the problems and they ran well for extended periods of time after that.  As someone else said. there is nothing on these engines that can't be fixed.  Is it annoying?  Yes, it is.  Is it the end of the world?  No, unless you are a doom and gloom type of person, and if you are, PLEASE buy a Honda!

Part of the charm (and challenge) of these engines is to get them running as perfectly as possible - that takes work, but it is worth it.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

jimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 03:03:36 PM »

then Mike Monteith was seen by some to dominate it to his financial advantage, 

Halfnuts

Take a look at the number and content of Mike's posts and then tell me how he dominated this forum.

What a load of crap.

jim
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 11:25:01 PM by jimmer »

BobH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 01:47:49 AM »
Great luck with a PS14/1. Good service from both Joel and George. I'm sorry that this forum has turned into a pissing match, I get enough of that in the news.

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 02:01:16 AM »
I really enjoy the free and flowing exchange of information. Being able to express personal observations and experiences with various bands helps others identify potential problems and make repairs.

BruceB
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 02:52:05 PM »
I really enjoy the free and flowing exchange of information. Being able to express personal observations and experiences with various bands helps others identify potential problems and make repairs.

BruceB
Best post on the topic.  Lets try and be professional and enjoy the camaraderie of the love of Listers and all things Lister.  Lets try and see the best intensions of those who post and not assume everyone has an evil agenda or is out to just make money.  This forum has so many great people where who are all trying to help. 

If you have a problem with a post, please let MODERATOR know, and let us deal with it, otherwise the place becomes one big pissing contest and that keeps us from talking about Listers.
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...