Puppeteer

Author Topic: Changfa 195 video and dB check  (Read 8109 times)

jtodd

• View Profile
Changfa 195 video and dB check
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:25:45 PM »

So I'm done with my Changfa 195 project to the point where it's producing electricity.  Here's a (big - 70? mb) video of the first start with the generator wired up.   In this same video, I did some tests of audio noise with my Toyota truck muffler attached to it.  At 10 feet, it was ~83dB, which is quite loud.  Working on figuring out how to quiet it down some more.  Next up: load testing.

Go up one directory level to get pictures and some notes.

http://www.loligo.com/projects/changfa/Changfa-start-run.mov

PS: The big green thing in the background is the "real" Lister 16/2 project which arrived home the other day.  Still lots to do on that one, but all the big fabricating, welding, and coating has been done.

JT

jtodd

• View Profile
Re: Changfa 195 video and dB check
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 04:13:39 AM »

Some people said they couldn't view the video on my website, so I uploaded it to YouTube as well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2t34d_xJ1RQ

JT

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 04:32:06 AM »
Nice clean machine!  I urge you to build a flywheel ring gear guard up near the fuel tank.  This is an easy accident waiting to take off your fingers like my 1115 tried to do to mine recently.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 04:38:52 AM »
Hey John,

Thats a great video. I was recently wondering how your muffler project was coming along.....and now I know.
For interest sake, did you happen to take a dB reading with the original Changfa muffler ?
Just wondering how it compared.

Nice job !

Veggie
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:41:17 PM by Veggie »

jtodd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 04:58:27 AM »
Thats a great video. I recently wondering how your muffler project was coming along.....and now I know.
For interest sake, did you happen to take a dB reading with the original Changfa muffler ?
Just wondering how it compared.

I think that the original muffler was something like 92dB at 10 feet, so quite a bit louder, but I didn't do tests with just the new muffler and the old intake.  I think the intake noise was pretty substantial so I can't say that the reduction was only from the muffler - it's a combination of both the new exhaust and the new noise-deadening filter/intake.  I also don't know how much noise the ST-10 makes, as I haven't tried a profile with the coupler disengaged.

I'd like to try another muffler to see if I can drop it down even further.  I put a standard 2" exhaust pipe on the Changfa side of the coupler, so I should be able to swap things in and out quickly.  However, that will have to wait for another day - I have to get crackin' on the big Lister and get that done before fall.

JT

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »
You are correct, I just borrowed a sound meter and my Changfa with the stock muffler makes about 93 dB at 10 ft.
Eventualy, I intend to go with the "underground" style muffler on my setup. I too will post a video when done.

PS: Don't forget to put a coupling guard on your drive system.

Veggie

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:55:06 PM »
John,

Regarding that "real" Lister project in the background, did you mount it on a skid and enclose it in a small shed?
From what I could see in the video, the base looks like an oilfield type structural steel skid.
I am doing a similar arrangement with the Changfa.

Veggie

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 11:30:51 PM »
Nice video Jtodd...

Good on ya for wearing some gloves and safety glasses.

Excellent work
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 12:33:36 AM »
I'm sure you've seen my videos of my R185 project at http://n9zes.zippyvideos.com/.

I haven't taken detailed dB measurements, but I can say that it IS LOUD.  The NAPA generic (I think it's for a 90's Sentra) muffler is very quiet - only a gentle chuffing comes from the exhaust now, and it did quiet the overall noise significantly.  I think I was around 95 to 100dB at 3 feet, even after all the mods.

More reduction came from the Solberg intake filter/silencer, but it still honks pretty good.

The vast majority of the noise is from the engine itself - combustion knock and all the gears and balance shafts whirring and clattering.  It's like an old Detroit 2-stroke - yes the exhaust is loud, but the engines also make a fantastic amount of mechanical noise. 

VERY nice setup, though.  I did mine in the interest of portability and also I already had the generator head, so I went with the design I have.  I really like the 195/10kW direct drive setup, especially with the radiator cooling.  Have you run any full load tests to see if the rad. has enough capacity?

Chris

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 07:01:01 AM »

PS: Don't forget to put a coupling guard on your drive system.

Veggie

coupling guard ???  Is that to protect the coupler from blood splatter from contact between the exposed flywheel ring gear and human flesh?  I really doubt that hard to reach coupler is in any serious danger from fingerless hamburger hands.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

jtodd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 08:37:31 AM »
To answer a bunch of questions:

1) Nope, haven't done load testing yet.  I need to build a decent load bank, or get enough of the same type of space heater than I can reliably add measured loads.  I think it'll be OK on the radiator, though - heck, the "engineered solution" that came with it was just boiling off water.  The wind from the flywheel is actually a pretty good breeze upwards through the radiator on the inboard side, and I'll bet that if I need to I could add a duct and fan bolted right to the outside of the flywheel plate pointed upwards through the radiator.

2) Yes, gloves and eye protection are pretty much constant for me.  If you always have eye protection in place, you don't have to wonder about it or worry about where you left 'em.  I depend on my hands for my day job spent pushing around a mouse and banging on a keyboard, so losing, crushing, or cutting fingers is also not on the agenda.  I only take the gloves off when I'm doing things on the mill or lathe or other locations where getting a glove caught in spinning stuff would be Bad (and even then I wear rubber surgical gloves, just to keep the friendly hydrocarbons and heavy metal residues off my skin.)   I get a raft of @#% about my gloves and goggles, but that's usually from people with permanent injuries who are looking for company in misery.

3) I've got some ideas for a coupling guard, but it's admittedly not high on the list right now.   Maybe a plastic bucket with parts of the bottom cut out, and maybe with a "notch" on the bottom to allow removal, bolted or somehow fastened right to the face of the generator.

4) For details on the "real" Lister generator in the background, look at http://www.loligo.com/projects/lister/ and click on the "pictures" link.  I made the base out of 1" web thickness 10.5" I-beam, and the "shed" you see are powder-coated, galvanized panels that fasten on all sides around (and on top/bottom) of the stainless sub-frame to keep various arms/legs/livestock out of the dangerous spinning/hot/electrical parts of the assembly.

5) I'd be interested in how other people fare with better mufflers, like the underground rigs.  I'm not sure if I can really do much more about the general noise of the mechanics and of the conducted noise of the cylinder, but having someone do a dB test with a completely silenced exhaust would be interesting.  I'm still thinking about what else I can do on the intake side to quiet that down some more...  Again, the phrase "5-gallon bucket" seems to call out to me, but I don't quite know exactly how it's going to come together.

6) I built this as a "semi-permanent" installation, even though it's still very much mobile until I get it into a shed of some sort.  I use a hydraulic floor jack to lift one end in the air, put blocks under that end, then go around to the other side and jack that end up.  Then I slide a heavy-duty caster truck underneath the whole assembly and lower one end, and then raise/remove blocks/lower the other end.  It's _barely_ moveable on the caster truck - I figure it's about 750 pounds, maybe more, and the casters aren't so great...

7) What  you can't see in the video are the small 2" wide x 6" long x 3/4" thick rubber vibration control pads installed under each corner. (McMaster Carr item #8981K158)  - this absorbs a lot of the vibration between the mount and the ground, but I can still feel it 10 feet away on the concrete pad, though there is very little (no) harmonic vibration that I can see in the radiator tower.  The muffler jitters about 1/4" at the most distant part, so I might brace that to the radiator frame somehow to reduce vibration hardening issues.

8) There's a 195F thermostat in the housing that is bolted to the top of the engine (George B's manufacture) which seems to do the right thing. 

JT
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:39:59 AM by jtodd »

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 02:25:25 AM »
I once worked with a fellow at PPG Industries who ALWAYS wore gloves, even when he was eating or on break. Now, gloves weren't that unusual when you're dealing with globs of molten glass (fiberglass industry), but you should have heard the ribbing he got. He was getting married and somehow somebody discovered that he had his gloves packed with Vaseline "To soften his hands and let the fiberglass work its way out" for his new bride..........

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 02:31:02 AM »
ANd where I work you tray and put fiberglass in the work gloves of people you don't like lol.

Best one I ever seen was the grader guy driving with a paper dust mask that had a tiny hole in it plugger with a lit cigarette
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 05:59:39 AM »
Best one I ever seen was the grader guy driving with a paper dust mask that had a tiny hole in it plugger with a lit cigarette

Aw heck, back when I used to grind fiberglass I always inhaled through a lit cigarette. Great filter and anything that got caught in the cvigarette got burned up. Kept it out of the atmosphere too. OOPS, gotta go change my oxygen bottle.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007