Puppeteer

Author Topic: How to withdraw camshaft  (Read 5012 times)

mbguzzi

• View Profile
How to withdraw camshaft
« on: April 01, 2008, 03:37:09 PM »
Dear

I have Listeroid 24/2 and I don't know why, but one day, when I tried to start my enigne something happen. I looked around and inside the engine and I saw that the governor weight spindle was broken. O.K. than I started to fix the problem and made the steps which is recomended in instruction manual for withdra camshaft. I did all the steps (removed flywheel, cover, fuel pump, unscrewed camshaft centre locating pin,...) but I can't withdraw the camshaft!?
Can somebody give me a good advice what I have to do?  ???

THX in advance!

Reagrds,
Matevz

rmchambers

• View Profile
Re: How to withdraw camshaft
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »
Are the pushrods still applying pressure onto the cam followers?

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »
I believe that if you remove the cover on the other side you will find a collar held on with a taper pin. Drive out that pin and you should be good to go.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:46:44 PM »
I believe that if you remove the cover on the other side you will find a collar held on with a taper pin. Drive out that pin and you should be good to go.
I agree....And sometimes the pin is a bugger!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 08:29:06 PM »
Second on the bugger part.  I was worried about damaging the bushing on that end trying to knock out that pin.  I couldn't get mine out and wound up drilling it out.  I replaced mine with a straight 5/16 allenhead shoulder bolt held in place with a nylock nut.  Now the camshaft is real easy to remove with no pounding and cussing:)

Ron
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »
If you have an oil pump driven off the centre of the cam, take that out as well. it does apply pressure to the cam lobe.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

mbguzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 07:49:12 PM »
John 13, I remowed oil pump and camshaft is still there.  ???
Tom, you realy think that I have to remove Cam shaft End Cover on the oposite site of Governor Gear Wheel? But than I have to remove also flywheel on that site? This steps aren't in the manual!?

THX

Matevz

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »
Matevz:

On a twin you most certainly DO have to take off the fuel pump and fuel pump housing at the opposite end of the camshaft to the cam gear.  The cam lobe that drives that fuel pump is on  the outside of the crankcase and it must be removed before you can draw the camshaft out.  Unfortunately that generally means removing the flywheel on the side, one more joyous thing to do!
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

frogmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 01:57:45 AM »
I asked the question my self on a new topic. The center bushing is the resist. I don't know how to free the camshaft from it, ther is no access. Yest I unscrewed the top retaining pin.
Engine: CS 20 twin cyl driving 12 kw 230v Gene
On Biodiesel

"Vegan" is an old Aboriginal word, it meant "lousy hunter"

frogmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
I got the answer: Definitely take off the other side camcover! Done .. Now that pin WILL NOT come off so I am about to drill it. On the single cylinder there is a collar to do the same retaining job as the fuel pump cam on the twin.
Engine: CS 20 twin cyl driving 12 kw 230v Gene
On Biodiesel

"Vegan" is an old Aboriginal word, it meant "lousy hunter"