Puppeteer

Author Topic: Feelin stoopid this morning... (dinged my crank journal)  (Read 9614 times)

MacGyver

• View Profile
Feelin stoopid this morning... (dinged my crank journal)
« on: March 30, 2008, 06:13:41 PM »
It's only 10AM, and it's already been one of those days.

I got my crank all polished up the other day. It took a while with the "shoe string" method, but it looks (looked) pretty good.
When I was done I wrapped the journal in heavy paper and tape so no harm would come to it. I did a "trial fit" in the block, and did the gasket shuffle until I got the TRB play set up correctly. So far so good.

Yesterday I reassembled the piston and rod.  I heated the piston to about 350F first and the pin went back in with no problem.

This morning I reinstalled the cylinder studs in the block and was getting ready to put the rod, piston, and cylinder on so I could check things for square and see what the piston/head clearance is and get the correct stack of cylinder base gaskets figured out.

I removed the tape and paper off of the crank journal. I turned to the work bench and picked up a wrench. I turned around with wrench in my hand and accidentally hit one of the newly installed head studs with the end of the wrench. The wrench was knocked out of my hand, dropped down into the block, whacked my newly exposed crank journal, and bounced out the inspection hole and onto the floor.  :(

Now there's 2 tiny little dings on the journal. Nothing big, and they should polish out just fine, but CRAP, I thought I was past that part already!

sigh.....
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Feelin stoopid this morning... (dinged my crank journal)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 06:19:05 PM »
Oh ya?

I just dragged the fridge and stove across the laminate flooring,

I'm also laying new flooring drinking beer and realy stressing over how this reno went to wrong.

Shite man!
The wife will never see a mark in a crank, but I scractched a floor......
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 06:40:07 PM »
Oh man! I feel for you!
It'll probably only take me an hour or so to fix the crank, and the wife doesn't need to know...

A few years ago I was at a friends house when he moved his fridge across the 3 month old kitchen linoleum and ripped a 6" long gouge in it. I came out of the bathroom and he was staring at the floor with a panicked look. His first words... "oh shit, Patty's gonna kill me".  Heh. she didn't kill him. He didn't get off nearly THAT easy!

Best of luck to you brother...

Steve

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 07:51:55 PM »
Well i am glad i am not the only one that does crap things.Animals have bad days as well.Yesterday there was a loud bang as a hawk with a pidgeon in its talons crashed into the window.The hawk flew off like a rocket and the pidgeon dropped to the ground stunned.

listerdiesel

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 10:09:59 PM »
I remember at the old factory, testing some 110V 100A three-phase chargers, dropping the scope probe down into the incoming terminals. The clip on the probe was earthed...

VERY Loud flash and bang and we lost the main incoming fuse on two of the phases.

Diagnostics afterwards seemed to indicate that the copper vapourised on the scope tip and that allowed a flashover between the other phases.

Cleaned it all up and it was fine.

Then did it again later that evening...... different place/items but same results. Never done it since or before.

C'est la vie....

Peter

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 11:20:42 PM »
O.k Doug//to keep you out of trouble//// when moving an appliance//check under it first/ if rollars // only pull in a straight line/ do not slide left to right/ you can put a panel of masonite under and it will move very easy and floor will not be damaged//it it has feet/ use masonite to move it//the old stand by is just spray the floor with almost any spray cleaner/ do not use an oil based or silicone spray/ / something like fantastic or 409 will work wonders//if it is a washer. put it in the spin cyle and spray the floor/it will move like a fat woman on the dance floor/if it is a dryer// pick the thing up/very hard to move with out tearing the floor/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 12:40:36 AM »
I like that Sid:

It will move like a Fat woman on a dance floor.....

I removed about 1/4 of the flooring and replaced most of the stuff I scratched along with all the damage done by the Homo Dopote.

Things I found in equipment......

A dead Pigeon in the engine compartment of a 520 Kub loader ( no idea how it got there and end up underground ).

A Silver soder rod sticking out of the HV primary on Hamond 750 kva transformer ( 13,800 volt could have been scary had it been energized ).

So two tiny Dings in a hobby engine crank that will polish out I guess that's not so bad eh?

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:30:57 AM »
one of my favorites was rats caught in the condenser fan of ref. or a rat in a dishwasher/ all ways good for a hundred dollars.. roaches in any electronic board... never get an argument with the customer when you give them the rat//sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

emerald

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 10:41:09 AM »
Doug, if the scratch is not too bad or deep, a rub of finishing oil for solid wood floors will sometimes hide/partially hide the damage.

Fairmountvewe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 02:15:26 PM »
How about the perrenial favorite - a weasel in the primary heat transport system of a nuclear reactor?  That oughta rank right up there.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, cooperate, solve equations, analyze a new problem, and pitch manure. Specialization is for insects.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 03:18:22 PM »
Hoping for a cheap home theater until I got something better I recently bought a used Proxima LCD video/data projector which works but needs a new arc lamp, .  I was heating the lamp reflector on the kitchen stove tyring to loosen the front filterplate window imprisoning the old lamp.  When the glass panel finally came free on top of the red hot element I tried to move it off with a kitchen knife.  The cold knife caused the extremely hot glass to explode and it sent glass onto the lino floor near the stove.  The glass instantly melted and burnt the lino very seriously in three spots before I could get it all picked up.  OOPS!  I may be able to trowel in some sort of hardening plastic filler to make it flat again but cosmetically it will look like crap until the whole floor is replaced.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 09:40:12 PM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 07:34:50 PM »
All's well that ends well. I took a small stone and made sure there were no raised areas around the edge of the ding, then used the sandpaper and shoestring to polish the journal again. One of the divots disappeared completely and the other one is only barely visible now and can't be felt with finger or fingernail.
It'll be just fine.

So Doug, how did you do with the floor? I see your wife still lets you post on the forum once in a while, so I guess she didn't kill you!  ;D
Steve

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
Having just moved we made good use of cheap floor mats that have the fabric on one face and rubber backing on the bottom. Flip them upside down and stuff slides around on them like its on a magic carpet ride.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 10:05:26 PM »
to hide a lot of scratches when finishing oil is not available// I find butter out of the ref. is very handy.. does a good job and is always available/ does a good job of lubing hinges on apppliances// just make sure you do not leave any finger prints in the butter.. customer will know/ sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 10:13:09 PM »
Not to self watch the Apliance man and what  he eats......

My floors have a chip or two now such is life.

This is fake wood from Germany plastic on top ( so hard is makes sparks on the table saw ) and wood fiber filler.
Notice I didn't say cheap floor just not real wood.