Lister Engines > Lister Based Generators

Exhaust System

<< < (2/3) > >>

n2toh:
Off topic but how does the GM90 fair with waste fuels?

Listeroidsusa:
Regarding waste oils, the gm-90 engines run great on them. I have numerous customers running them on a variety of alternative fuels. If you go to my web site at www.listeroids.com you will find some sound files of a new GM-90 6/1 running on 100% motor oil. Now that winter is here it is more difficult to start on motor oil but after about a half dozen power strokes it settles down and runs like any other lister on diesel fuel. I'm working on 2 processes to remove the soot and fines from used oil using a solvent extraction method and a vacuum distillation method. I'll know a little later which one works best.

Mike Montieth

kpgv:
What if the "source" waste motor oil is "synthetic".
Will it burn???

Kevin

Listeroidsusa:
I've never tried synthetic oil so I can't tell how it would work. Since most synthetic oils have a higher flash point I doubt that it would run as good as straight motor oil does.

Mike Montieth

swedgemon:
Most synthetic lube oils will burn.  The synthetics which most closely imitate mineral oils ( PAO's) will burn the same as mineral, while several of the esters will be harder to get started.  An ester which has been contaminated with water will form a gel which is hard to pump and will likely cause filters to plug.  Any lube oil which has run for extended ODI (oil drain interval) in a modern heavy diesel will have a lot of fuel soot in it and will also plug filters quickly.  The lighter the viscosity of the used oil, the better it will filter, pump and burn.  Try to avoid using gear oil drained from final drives and differentials because they usually have not been filtered during service and have lotsa metal fines.  Used oil that has various shop solvents or paint thinners in it can be very flammable and should be avoided.
Swedgemon
Somewhere in Kentucky

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version