Lister Engines > Lister Based Generators

Exhaust System

<< < (3/3)

Stan:
Jack & Quinn....As to using tractor mufflers, I owned a John Deere model 60 for 7 years up in Dawson Creek working 140 acres (mostly).  For those of you who aren't familiar with them they are a horizontally oriented 2 cylinder gas powered tractor running 950 rpm top speed and they sound exactly like a 12/2.  The muffler is mounted on a (approx.) 2 foot tall "exhaust manifold, straight up, with the muffler on top, sticking up from the hood of course.  There's about 4 feet of "moment" on the assembly and the tractor jerks and lurches around in the fields.  If anything was going to break in such a system, it would!  Mine had been on the tractor for around 30 years (original equipment) and it was still in fine shape.

As an added bonus, I had a coffee can on top of the muffler when the tractor wasn't running to keep the weather out and when I started it the coffee can would blow 40 or 50 feet in the air (over the top of a power pole).  If I was on level ground I could casually stand up and catch the can on the way down.  Very impressive for bystanders.  ;D
Stan

quinnf:
Stan,

As I posted earlier, I got the muffler because it was rugged, end-mountable and less than $20, not necessarily in that order.  That's an unbeatable combination.  Then when I welded that ell onto the nipple and screwed it into the flange and started I was very surprised at the efficiency of such a small muffler.  Exhaust is virtually silent.  Just a "whuff whuff whuff" sound.  I also got a hinged weathercap but the thing slaps loudly between whuffs and makes more noise than the engine, so I've since removed it.  As it turns out, my engine doesn't vibrate much at all so I don't think the muffler mounted like that is putting much load on the exhaust flange and studs.  Still, it's only temporary and I will mount it properly when I get the thing moved into its final position. 

I like the coffee can idea.  You know, if you have your shotgun handy, you could engage in a little trap shooting when you start up.  I don't think anyone would mind, but you'd probably want to have a few extra cans, depending on how steady your aim is.   ;D   I've often wondered at the plugs they used to put in the muzzles of the big guns on navy ships.  Wonder who got to shinny out there and plug the muzzle, and did they bother to remove the plug when hurriedly called into action. 

Is a puzzlement.

Quinn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version