Puppeteer

Author Topic: Fuel pump adjuster bolt thread  (Read 8445 times)

lendusaquid

• View Profile
Fuel pump adjuster bolt thread
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:03:20 PM »
Does anyone know what the thread size is?.Iam talking about the bolt under the pump.I need to clean the thread up as i cant get the bits back together.

dieseldave

• View Profile
Re: Fuel pump adjuster bolt thread
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 02:33:15 PM »
I believe this is a Bosch unit built under License,so it might be Metric Thread.

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 04:54:42 PM »
OK, I just measured mine. Dunno what the heck it is.

The bolt major diameter is 0.509" (12.93mm)  and the distance between thread crests is .0525" (1.33mm)  (I measured 0.525" across 10 threads)

I've never seen a metric bolt with a 1.33 mm thread pitch. (or an M13 bolt for that matter)

A 1/2- 20 nut doesn't quite fit it.

Whitworth?

Steve

Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 04:57:23 PM »
If its not part of the actual Ip or injector its most likely BSF or Whit.

Doug

And for the unknone number of times I have added this I'll say again all the pipe fittings and fuel fittings that are not machined into the injector or Ip they are BSPP.

I found the easiest way around the problem of BSPP is to use #4 JIC fittings for the lines with the BSPP. This is a common part at any hydraulic shop and many Japanese engines also use BSP so you can scam fittings from them as well.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 05:00:32 PM by Doug »
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 06:56:12 PM »
Borrowed a thread gauge today and the one that fitted said 19G what ever that means.19 tpi i guess . So maybe it is 1/2' BSF  19 ?

listerdiesel

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 07:08:54 PM »
Borrowed a thread gauge today and the one that fitted said 19G what ever that means.19 tpi i guess . So maybe it is 1/2' BSF  19 ?

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Tables/Mech1.htm

Peter

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 08:51:47 PM »
Just looking quickly through the tables, there's rather a shortage of hardware with 19TPI, unless it's 3/8" or 1/4" pipe...
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »
Well from Doug,s info and Peters tables i make it;
BSP
 Diameter     O/Diameter     Core      Pitch     Depth        Radius     Effective Dia     T.P.I    
1/4"                     0.5180    0.4510    0.0526         0.0335    0.0072     0.4845               19

I measured the width of the bolt and its 0.508

Ok  iam going to phone up British gas and tell them i have a small gas leak somewhere.While hes looking for the leak ill borrow his tools ;D

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 04:17:42 AM »
Considering how common BSP actualy is ( if you know wherer to look ) you should have no trouble finding the right Taps ect...

listerdiesel

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 07:10:09 AM »
You will find that the thread is a special, made for that application, and is 'probably' one of the metric fine threads brought over with the pump from Bosch.

I've checked the parts listings and changed number book but no mention of the actual thread.

DON'T forget NOT to have negative clearance between the pump bucket and the bolt head when you put it all back together, injector pump elements are expensive!

Peter

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 06:41:37 PM »
I removed a small amount of thread and managed to get the bits back together again.Ive got lots of rusty bits to clean up before i get to pump timing, but i will remember to set it low and adjust up to prevent pump damage.

listerdiesel

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 06:02:42 PM »
Considering how common BSP actualy is ( if you know wherer to look ) you should have no trouble finding the right Taps ect...

It is probably parallel BSP (British Standard Pipe) thread, used elsewhere on the engines (10/2 oil pump for one)

BSP threads are usually taper thread  in most instances, typically an oil light switch male thread and things like that.

Peter

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 11:01:22 PM »
Mots places I see it now its BSPP, usualy sealed with a rubber O ring bulk head fitting ( hydraulic ) or it has a taper plug or fitting screwed in ( pumps )

Not sure if this just happens to be the aplications I find bu one thing is for sure since I got my hands on some Whitworth thread gauges I find a lot more of them than I ever thought.

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 07:48:56 AM »
we priced a tap and die set from Atul in our last order - almost 300 bucks -never mind, ordered instead a few "boxes" of nuts and bolts for a few bucks.  Nice to have extras.

listerdiesel

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »
we priced a tap and die set from Atul in our last order - almost 300 bucks -never mind, ordered instead a few "boxes" of nuts and bolts for a few bucks.  Nice to have extras.

You try finding 2" or 2-1/2" BSP taps and dies!

£500 for a 2" BSP die  :o

We've got all the sizes from 1/8" BSP up to 2", the 2-1/2" is pretty rare on the Listers etc., but the 2" is CS exhaust pipe size.

A few years back these were being thrown away as engineering companies went bust, we bought as much as we could afford at the time, and now find them VERY useful!

The other thing to remember is that a 2" tap is almost impossible to use for tapping a hole, it's only really usable (by hand) for cleaning threads up, which of course if what we use them for.

Peter