Author Topic: BS or not?  (Read 26397 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: BS or not?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 04:58:47 AM »
No Rob I abandoned the concept of phase and decided to concentrate on flux control in the core of an electric motor.
My teachers told me it was foolish and nothing could be gained.
Some place in Russia at the same time a man was watching molten steel flow up hill drawn my magnetism and the idea struck him.

The rest is history.....

Point being I'm not as smart as I think I am so I could be wrong but I'd sure like to have the pattent on something right that I thought was wrong ( over unity or not ) than to have nothing at all.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 06:53:38 AM »
overunity?

perhaps the only topic that i brissel over more than being told
"do the math"

overunity will never happen as long as we have the laws of physic's
unity will never happen either,
you can't even get close to unity without some horrendously expensive equipment.

yup in theory there is antimatter (dark matter, or whatever)
and recently i hear that we have a lab that has actually harvested an almost infintesimal (sp)
amout of it,, something like a fraction of a gram (about enough to blow your nose)
has taken years and millions of dollars to get this tiny amount.

and i am to believe some guy in his garage is going to make an overunity machine?

really?

if so i wonder how big a concrete block will have to be set in place to mount this overunity machine on?

lmao

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 07:11:53 AM »
if so i wonder how big a concrete block will have to be set in place to mount this overunity machine on?

lmao

bob g

Bob,

Please you tell us.  Do the math.   ;)

Overunity is not a term I came up with and it is unfortunately, as I pointed out in my earlier diatribe, a rallying call for the skeptics and naysayers as we have seen from Bob G's little ridicule here.  Of course it is rational to understand that there ain't no free lunch, nothing just appears.  I tried to explain earlier that IF such machines are PROPERLY TESTED and indeed found to BE WORKING, then they HAVE TO BE TAPPING INTO A REAL ENERGY SOURCE.  Nuff said.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 01:57:47 PM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 07:24:31 AM »
No Rob I abandoned the concept of phase and decided to concentrate on flux control in the core of an electric motor.
My teachers told me it was foolish and nothing could be gained.
Some place in Russia at the same time a man was watching molten steel flow up hill drawn my magnetism and the idea struck him.

The rest is history.....

Point being I'm not as smart as I think I am so I could be wrong but I'd sure like to have the pattent on something right that I thought was wrong ( over unity or not ) than to have nothing at all.

Doug,

From my own experience I know that when steel reaches melting temperature the molecules are so agitated that they loose all attraction to externally appllied magnetic fields.  You can test this on an iron bar with a magnet while heating the iron in a forge or acetylene flame.  IIRC it looses attraction when it is somewhere between red and bright orange. I wonder if the effect your Russian subject observed was related to current flow in the liquid iron and magnetic repulsion of the current path?

It sounds like you were well taught by your teachers as we see from your knowledgeable technical posts, but you know what they say about teachers.  Thiose than can... do, Those that can't.....  Maybe you were onto something.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 11:27:46 AM »
rcavictim,

When steel melts you can't keep all the little 'magnetic domains' lining up with each, so they will form closed magnet chains within the material leading to an overall neutral magnetic field.

Yes, heating is one way of demagnetising - and no, as you found, you don't need to melt it!

Neodymium magnets are destroyed (magnetically speaking) by much lower temperatures than one might like.  I think degradation starts at a little over 370-390 K with these, so be careful with your Neo-PMGs!

Regards, RAB

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 01:42:02 PM »
rcavictim,

When steel melts you can't keep all the little 'magnetic domains' lining up with each, so they will form closed magnet chains within the material leading to an overall neutral magnetic field.

Yes, heating is one way of demagnetising - and no, as you found, you don't need to melt it!

Neodymium magnets are destroyed (magnetically speaking) by much lower temperatures than one might like.  I think degradation starts at a little over 370-390 K with these, so be careful with your Neo-PMGs!

Regards, RAB

Hmmm.  Thanx for the heads-up!  373K is only boiling water temp.  That is fairly low so yes due dilligence would be required in any highly loaded machine design employing these marvels.

Thank you BTW for the thoughtful PM.  No, I haven't and yes, it has somewhat.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet

Strongest ones start to fade @ 80C
Weaker ones fade at 200C  (depends on the mix)

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 03:59:09 PM »
Now then mike,

Just curious.  Is 'fade' a technical term? ::)

Yoy wouldn't want to paint your PMG black.  On a hot day it might just disappear if you are using N50s!! :D

Regards, RAB

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 04:25:52 PM »
Untill proven wrongI will have to say I don't believe free energy is possible.

Just to be an instagator here, what about solar and wind power.

Just like the free energy machines, they do need an initial financial investment, after that the energy produced costs nothing unless somebody out there is selling sunlight and air.

Overunity now, that is somethign else. I have seen enough weird stuff in my life to feel safe in saying there is nothiong I do not beleive is possible. As for investing money in some of it, no way.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 06:05:10 PM »
By free energy I mean something for nothing.

If the sun light hits a loar aray you have energy converted from one for to another.

But if you have a machine that produces energy from nothing thats very hard to swallow.

There are some loop holes at the quantum mechanics level that from what I understand ( and thats weak when you try and understand quantum mechanics with high school math ) that say you can get something for nothing in some cases but we are talking about theory nothing has been proven untill I see it on the market.

Laplace Rob is some truely evil math used for in my case studying the stability of an electronic govener for example. In practice it only makes your heair gray unless you realy dig calculas.

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 08:19:49 PM »

Laplace Rob is some truely evil math used for in my case studying the stability of an electronic govener for example. In practice it only makes your heair gray unless you realy dig calculas.

You've obviously not been to The Lap Place where the poynting vector is often terminated with sticky trousers..   :D
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 08:42:47 PM »

I watched a few of these videos. No explaination of how it works,just a lot of talk.   On one video,showing a motor? driving a generator? ,nothing was said at all,except 'lets speed it up'.

For now,I will call it BS!

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 08:58:32 PM »

I am just curious about something.................If you have a permanent magnet that has a given strength,or 'pull' from an air gap of 1/8inch. Would the magnetic pull decrease if the air gap was replaced by a non ferrous material of the same thickness? :-\

My selection of 1/8inch is just arbitrary.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 12:48:38 AM »
Unless you are using some very good ( top notch lab stuff ) measuring equipment the difference in permiability of most non magnetic materials is unimportant.

So the answere is no

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 01:13:11 AM »
By free energy I mean something for nothing.

If the sun light hits a loar aray you have energy converted from one for to another.
But if you have a machine that produces energy from nothing thats very hard to swallow.

You I cab relate to. That makes sense.

Even some of he old school scientists are strating to think that there are different ways to do things. I for one am the first to admit that I don't beleive every facit of science has already been discovered. Heck, look how far we have come in the last 100 years. heck, just in my lifetime man has walked on the moon. In a way I feel sorry for the kids of today having missed that, but then I think of what they will see in their lifetime.  It would really dissappoint me if they did not finally come up with what we call over unity. I do however feel that the days of the home workshop producing it is probably gone. I could be wrong though, but it would surprise me.

What does surprise me how fast things advance and how fast we forget about old technology when something new comes along. Many things we don;t fully understand before hrowing them aside for something new. That is where the home experimenter comes in. Like the baghdad battery. We know they had it, but what the heck did they use it for. Same for today, like those little "lifters". We know they aren't antigravity. Just a nifty science experiment. There must be something we can use them for though. Old technology is very cool.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007