Author Topic: JP-3 on Youtube  (Read 3884 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
JP-3 on Youtube
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:23:34 AM »
If this isn't the absolutely most beautiful sounding engine.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=GYKDaVGUQEI
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

MacGyver

• View Profile
Re: JP-3 on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:44:55 AM »
3 cylinder engines (or good 6's or 12's) always sound nice to me!

That one does have a very nice song! 

Steve
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:54:57 AM »
The 9/1 - JP engines are actualy older than the CS series.

I would rather have one of these than a CS because I think this and CD - CE engines are more refined and have more modern features

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 07:47:16 AM »
The 9/1 - JP engines are actualy older than the CS series.

I would rather have one of these than a CS because I think this and CD - CE engines are more refined and have more modern features

Quite true, the JP/JK/JS range went on for some years, up until the 1960's with only relatively minor design changes, proof of the good basic design parameters.

Where they were a problem was in the selling price to the small engine market like farming.

The 5/1 engine was a degree cheaper to make and lighter, and you don't see that many of the JP singles and twins around on farms etc.

The FR was probably the best designed engine, but was then over-complex for its market and didn't sell that well. Part of the reason was that the 5/1 and JP engines were still going, so you had 5/1, JP, FR engines all selling at the same time.

The CD and CE engines were probably well in advance of their time, being started in the late 1930's, and they ran through to the start of FR production. Nearly 3/4 of a ton for 16hp in the case of the CE shows how much material was in that engine! but with 5 main bearings (2 each side and one in the centre) they ran well with little mechanical trouble.

The JP and 5/1 rngines gave Lister enormous feedback and experience in diesels at a time when they were relatively new in the small engine field, and kept them in front for many years.

I also saw the other day that Petters shipped engine parts out to India for Kirloskar to assemble, complete manufacture was not achieved until quite late on in their trading relationship, something for Doug there.

Peter

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 04:47:18 PM »
Ye svery interesting stuff there thank you Petter.

I mean Peter......

Must keep my mind on the subject lol.