Author Topic: Serious MPG  (Read 13618 times)

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
Serious MPG
« on: March 19, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »
7000 mpg

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecogeek/361/7-000-mpg-car-wins-eco-marathon.html

I think we're going to need a new class of vehicle here in the US. Something for secondary road use that would have more in common with a motorcycle than a Suburban. Something with weather protection and exempt from all the heavy safety requirements.

Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
Re: Serious MPG
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 02:50:11 PM »
7000 mpg

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecogeek/361/7-000-mpg-car-wins-eco-marathon.html

I think we're going to need a new class of vehicle here in the US. Something for secondary road use that would have more in common with a motorcycle than a Suburban. Something with weather protection and exempt from all the heavy safety requirements.

Bill

7000 mpg, thats cool. The consumption is near the rate that gasoline evaporates. Just think, back when gas was 35 cents a gallon, nobody was even trying to build a car like this. Thhink what they would be trying to build if gas went up to 6 bucks a gallon.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 01:26:20 AM »
I've been building a small car that "beats" the regulations. I built it as a 3 wheeler. Here in NC if a vehicle has less than 4 wheels and weighs under 1500 lbs it is technically a motorcycle. You can enclose it, heat it, run A/C, ect and it is still a motorcycle. My motorcycle insurance is $38 for 6 months. The "car" has a 1800 cc 94 hp Subaru flat four, a 5 speed transaxle, and the whole thing weighs a little over 800 lbs. I'm still working on it but I expect over 60 mpg out of it.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:28:42 AM »
Another good engine is the B&S Vangaurd Turbo diesel 32 hp and I can carry and lift it myself
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 02:01:00 AM »

I have always liked how Subaru engines are set up. Flat Four. This sounds like an interesting project.  3 wheelers were common in Britain,Morgan produced a 3 wheeler. Google it.

Husky oil used to have an economy rally.  I know someone who used to enter his 55 studebaker champion in it. He had a small flathead 6.under 200 cubic inches. His car had a freewheeling overdrive. He would get over 40 mpg in the rally!  Our gallon is 5/4 of a us gallon.   Not bad for an 'American Car' built in 1955!

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 02:06:47 AM »
Is your 3-wheeler from an available design or are you rolling your own?  That's a project I'd love to do myself.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 02:10:46 AM »
i got a 25/2 that i would like to build into a chopper!

or maybe a fat wheel bobber... yesssss

:)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 02:11:19 AM »
Yes Doug, I plan to put a diesel in the three wheeler once DMV  signs it off. No diesel will pass here if they see it first. I've got a nice kubota that I'm planning to use. I like the Daihatsu (B&S) diesel but just can't afford or justify it when I've already got a couple of the Kubota diesels on the rack.

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 02:18:49 AM »
I built the frame out of 2 x 3 steel tubing. It looks a bit like a rail dragster. The rig stands 32" tall and is about 16' long. I made it long and low to get the lowest center of gravity I could around the engine. On paper it should take 2+ G's lateral to get it to start to roll. I basically used the Vigilante 3 wheeler as a base. The Vig is a sharp rig, google it for a photo. The same fellow also built another model called a Trivette. A guy named Riley also has some good ideas on 3 wheelers.

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »
  Very cool Mike, got any pics?
  Here in NY it's legally a lot more difficult and yearly inspections insure compliance among those inclined to go their own way. That's why I think we need an entirely new class of motorvehicle. As things stand now, It looks to me like the best way to start would be with a pre emmission titaled motorcycle frame and throw away everything but the VIN.
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 06:12:55 PM »
The "car" has a 1800 cc 94 hp Subaru flat four, a 5 speed transaxle, and the whole thing weighs a little over 800 lbs. I'm still working on it but I expect over 60 mpg out of it.

Neat!  I like those Subie flat 4's. They're good engines. And an EJ22 fits real nice in the back of a VW Vanagon too...
http://sweetwatergems.weirdstuffwemake.com/geek/images/urabus_2277.jpg

Of course I'm lucky to coax 20MPG out of the van.

Got photos of your car?

Steve
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 08:36:44 PM »
If you want high speed in a 3 wheeler you should have 2 wheels at the front and one at the back.The other way round can become unstable.

Stan

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 08:40:10 PM »
Just turn your seat and handle bars around.
Stan

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 02:22:57 AM »
Here is a link to a 3 wheeler similar to what mine will be like.

http://www.3wheelers.com/vigilante.html

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 08:45:04 PM »
That is well smart.I want one.

And here is a link to the car of the future. ;D

http://www.3wheelers.com/acoma.html