Author Topic: Would you use this connecting rod?  (Read 39606 times)

sid

• View Profile
Re: Would you use this connecting rod?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 01:25:22 AM »
I have a hard time understanding how making an ass of of your self can affect warrenty/ either you have one or you do not.I honor
warrenties regardless  of the attirude of the customer/ if you receive junk instead of a quality product you a right to make an ass out of my self ///when i have a problem  with my car dealership/ I go straight to the owner and make an ass of my self///that is his job to listen because he sold the product/ he knows that in the last 20 years I have spent almost a million dollars with him and I will be back next time to buy again/ if you sell only a few items you can pick and choose how you treat your customers/if you do not want to honor warrenties // do not sell the product///
I just fell off the soap box///sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 01:30:29 AM »
Waiter, check please......
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 05:55:00 AM »
well seeing how i got more than enough alligators nipping at my ass, i gotta pick my battles carefully

so here is a half ass attempt anyway.

most diy'ers are the tightest bunch of fella's on the planet
and price is certainly a factor

now of course it takes about an hour to tear the engine down, but
you gotta get it out of the crate, which usually means destruction of the crate
you then have to reassemble the short block
then build another crate to ship it
very conservatively 3 hours minimum, and likely more like 4 or 5 hours

i don't know what the shop rates are in other places but that will add about 400 bucks to the base price
of the engine! minimum!

that 400 bucks puts the kit engine outside the price range us stingy bastards want to spend.

myself, if i wanted another engine, i would certainly buy the kit, tear it down myself, sort the wheat from the chaff, call
the seller for replacement parts that are substandard or as you say "crap" and put it together to my standards.

as for not making an ass of oneself, it only stands to reason that one can expect much better service if he is pleasant to work with,, and should expect a bit less if he is an ass,, period.

i defy anyone here to look me in the eye and tell me he delivers the same level of service to nice folks as he does to assholes.

you can lie to your friends and i will lie to mine, but
we ain't gonna lie to each other on this point

:)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 09:26:47 AM »
well seeing how i got more than enough alligators nipping at my ass, i gotta pick my battles carefully

It's a "kit", there is absolutely no need to reassemble it, or build another crate, just whack the bits on a pallette and the smaller bits in a box, 1 hour tops, which you charge for and which people will pay, not even a skilled job.

i don't know what the shop rates are in other places but that will add about 400 bucks to the base price
of the engine! minimum!

that 400 bucks puts the kit engine outside the price range us stingy bastards want to spend.

Like I said, 1 hour is tops, it's unskilled, anyone can do it once shown how to once, 50 bucks.

myself, if i wanted another engine, i would certainly buy the kit, tear it down myself, sort the wheat from the chaff, call
the seller for replacement parts that are substandard or as you say "crap" and put it together to my standards.

the time spent by yourself and the seller doing this exceeds the 1 hour it would take to strip everything as a matter of course, plus the extra shipping charges, plus the extra delay.

as for not making an ass of oneself, it only stands to reason that one can expect much better service if he is pleasant to work with,, and should expect a bit less if he is an ass,, period.

i defy anyone here to look me in the eye and tell me he delivers the same level of service to nice folks as he does to assholes.

:)

bob g

you don't sell to assholes, period.

if you sell to assholes it rubs off and you start treating all your customers like assholes.

---------------------

true story.

week or two ago I ordered some engineering supplies from a company here in the UK, bought and paid online, next day courier delivery signed for.

next day 4pm rolls around and no sign of my package, I go online to check the track and trace and discover that allegedly I signed for the package which was delivered at 3pm.

I ring the seller, he asks if I have been "carded" by the courier, no, he asks if I've checked with my neighbours, no, they're out at work, he tells me not to worry.

I tell him I paid him for goods, and next day delivery, it is now the next day, I ain't got my goods and someone, presumably the driver, has forged my signature, which screws with the legal contract between me and him.

he says chill out, happens a lot, driver just probably left it with a neighbour

I say driver didn't card me, so I have no idea where it is, or where to start looking, I haven't got my goods and someone forged my name a signature on the track and trace

he says I am being unreasonable, nobody else makes such a big thing about it

late that night another (not next door either side, 2 doors down) comes around with a package, no he didn't sign for it, driver must have done that himself.

Chronos Engineering just lost a customer for life, conservatively speaking mebbe US$ 20k worth of custom over the next 12 months.

Why?

How can I possibly trust someone who cares so little about his business reputation that he simply dismisses a third party courier forging my signature and dumping a parcel without even bothering to "card" me, denying me the ability to sign for the goods and mark "not inspected", particularly seeing as there was one item on my order that wasn't present in the box.

Was the box sealed he asks me, yeah, so what, all couriers carry brown tape in the van.

Screw him, chargeback and your goods are awaiting your collection at your expense.

It's about principles, you either have them or you don't.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

jimdunne

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 12:27:25 PM »
Bob, IMHO, you have a lot of sense.

There are battles you want to fight, and battles you lose before you even start.

Fighting over a delivery issue for $12 is not even on my radar screen. And if it is the principle of the thing, then "plan ahead" is wonderful, so you have a day or two
 to spare if there is a delivery issue. Delivery issues happen here all too often.

Tore a Briggs and Stratton engine down once to put new rings in, and grind the valves. When it was down, found part of the piston in the bottom of the pan, and I always thought that it was a factory thing; they had put a piston with a cracked skirt in the engine. Have no idea what the piston was made of, nor do I really care. It is so far back in the mists of time, don't even remember if it was for a tote goat, or what.

Not sure about  "whack the bits" either; that sounds almost like self abuse. Maybe it's an English thing.

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 01:15:34 PM »
well, look who showed up!! If it ain't the 600lb gorilla that begs to be poked....... ;D

It's a "kit", there is absolutely no need to reassemble it, or build another crate, just whack the bits on a pallette and the smaller bits in a box, 1 hour tops, which you charge for and which people will pay, not even a skilled job.

I would rather buy the "kit" and disassemble/assemble it myself, rather than paying someone else to do what? something as simple as recrating it? are you kidding? this is diyer stuff, after all. If you want the out-of-the-box engine go to walmart and get a honda. Plus if you have to throurghly go through each part you'll be (to use your favorite phrase) "doing the math" yourself, and be much more prepared, than the guy who gets the whole engine

of the engine! minimum!

Like I said, 1 hour is tops, it's unskilled, anyone can do it once shown how to once, 50 bucks.

BULL!!! Around here you couldn't do it for less  than a hundred. On your side of the pond you could maybe, I don't know what your labor is like but around here it'd be a lot more than 50 dollars

the time spent by yourself and the seller doing this exceeds the 1 hour it would take to strip everything as a matter of course, plus the extra shipping charges, plus the extra delay.
very true. but don't forget this is not the mass market clientèle. this is a small group of diyers who don't follow the convention

Smiley

bob g

you don't sell to assholes, period.

if you sell to assholes it rubs off and you start treating all your customers like assholes.

oh yes you do, because you don't always know if the nice guy wanting an engine is a potential a****** or if he's just a crusty guy who looks a little rough. Again, we're not dealing with the mass market crowd, we're dealing with a small group of diyers, and treating them all like potential a******s is sure to pi$$ them all off........tell them up front what they're dealing with and stand behind your stuff and they're fine with that......
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 01:17:29 PM by mkdutchman »

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 01:48:43 PM »
Well I've been in contact with George and Joel, and they are working to make things right for me.

I have good reason to believe that this story will have a happy ending.  Time will tell...

Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »
MacGyver
I'm sure you will be taken care of! To the expert on the other side "GF"...If you think you could get the injuns to deliver more consistent and higher quality Listeroid have at it! You might but it would be a very expensive item. In my dealings with these imports it is just a plain crap shoot on what you get no matter who you get it from. It was and has always been tear it down and fix the flaws and never has George or Joel implied it was a individually selected high quality part "kit engine". It was imported as a "kit engine" due to the hard to understand EPA rules if I remember right. Pluses on the "kit" were it didn't have the flywheels taper keys cold welded in by the 400# injun gorilla! No sand run through the assembly....it may be there but hasn't got the chance to lap things in yet. There have been up front postings on the folded gasket issue from "kit" engines and all issues have been resolved. I think someone has put the cart before the horse here and we all ought to butt out till MacGyver is taken care of!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »
Good post Dave, right on the mark as I see it.

Bruce M

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 05:03:47 PM »
Very sorry to see this.  However, having built a PS 6/1 kit myself via George, Joel, and Russ, I have no doubt that they will make it right. 

India QC sucks and this is explained in detail on Utterpower.com site.  I suppose it would be nice if there was at least some QC on our side of the pond (to avoid delays associated with having to return/receive heavy pieces of metal and to avoid a potential disaster should some idiot believe you can just run one these engines without doing the QC yourself).  However, QC takes time for the person doing it and this translates to more cost to you if someone else is doing more of it.  I wonder what percentage of the time something like this has occurred?  I suspect it is a relatively small percentage for the PS engines.

All of my PS kit parts were 100% serviceable.  However, the reason I went with George, Joel, and Russ in the first place was that I believed they were honest and reputable, and would provide me with good service if required.  They have not disappointed me.  In fact, they have been extremely helpful whenever I had a newbie question.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 05:05:36 PM by sailawayrb »

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 08:16:38 PM »
Guy brings up an interesting point about " Kits ".

Since its obvious the engines have top come a part, and its obvious they have issues and defects and its obvious that someone is paying to have the engines built only to be torn down and rebuilt again....

Why not just order big crates of parts seperate the good from the bad, offer up defective parts at a discount and lastly sell a kit full of parts that have nothing wrong with them?

Thats a reasonable way to solve the QC problem and its value added for the seller because now he can charge a modest premium for a kit that's actulay all good and verified.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »
I think a kit that's just unassembled parts would be a great idea. It would be easier to make sure stuff was "good" before it got sent, it would save the tear down time on the customers end, and it would save all those gaskets that I had to destroy getting it apart because they were all painted onto the block. Wish I had a full paper gasket set in a box. It would sure beat making them myself...

Oh, and I got another message form George just a bit ago. And a tracking number for a fresh connecting rod he sent today.

Steve
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 09:08:02 PM »
An important aspect of this discussion is missing. Are you enjoying working on this engine even with the problems ? 

bob b

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 09:13:43 PM »
BINGO

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 10:32:46 PM »
Part of the advantage in the way that they do it is that you can see how the majority of parts go together. You just have to figure if they were assembled correctly and if they are machined correctly. ;)
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.