Author Topic: Removing the camshaft from a 6/1 'roid  (Read 17475 times)

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
Re: Removing the camshaft from a 6/1 'roid
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 11:44:24 AM »
I added some photos of the innards to this page:
http://sweetwatergems.weirdstuffwemake.com/geek/listeroid6-1.html
Steve

MMM I didn't get any spair parts, but I did get a toy umbrella, an opened deck of miniature playing cards, two cigarette lighters and a toy cell phone.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 02:39:59 PM »

The TRB's  preload are adjusted by adding or subtracting gaskets between the bearing caps and the crankcase.
Lots of things can be off on these critters.....

Dave

I've set up TRB's on other equipment so I understand using the gaskets to adjust the end play. That's why I was curious what machining Jack did and what it accomplished. ?

Steve
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2008, 02:43:51 PM »
Steve

MMM I didn't get any spair parts, but I did get a toy umbrella, an opened deck of miniature playing cards, two cigarette lighters and a toy cell phone.

Hehe... I read your post about the stuff that came with yours.  That's really weird. And pretty funny... :)
Steve

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 02:50:14 PM »
I've heard it said that TRB's will take "quite a bit of misalignment" but I'm not sure what that means.  11 thousandths over the width of the crankcase is only a little out of square if the difference is in the crank bearing holes.  That's probably close enough for long life; at least the Indians would say so.

I'm going to do a little more measuring on it, but in the end I will probably just put it back together like it was (complete with folded gasket) and hope for the best. I'll start by putting the rod back on the crank, set the cylinder on, and see how much misalignment there is as the rod moves up and down the cylinder.

Yes, yes... is good enough...

Steve
Steve

jimdunne

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 03:14:28 PM »
Well, after a bit of measuring I've learned a bit about why the cylinder had a folded gasket under one side of it.

I cleaned the paint and bondo off of the surface that the cylinder sits on and then measured from that surface down to the top of the hole that the crankshaft main bearing housing fits in, and there was a difference of 0.011" between the 2 sides. The side with the cam gear was 5.125" and the other side was 5.136"!
That's not good...

The cylinder had 4 gaskets under it. 3 of them were orange and measured aprox 0.018" thick each, and the fourth one was the folded yellow gasket on top. It measured 0.006", and folded over it makes 0.012", which is about how much the cylinder deck surface on the block is off.

The other thing was that the tapered roller bearings were set up way to tight. It was kind of hard to turn the crank by hand even with the piston, rod, and cam were out of the block. Once I loosened up the nuts on one of the bearing housings, then it got really easy to turn. There was obviously less than zero end clearance on those bearings.

How much misalignment can tapered roller bearings take?  If the bearing bores are parallel, but one is 0.011" higher than the other ...?
Or maybe the bores are straight and square with each other and it's only the cylinder deck surface that's crooked. (I think I'd like that better)

Steve,
If you read at http://www.utterpower.com/kit_engines.htm , the Beta one, two, and three reports explain the purpose of the folded gaskets, etc. Also, hotater (Jack Belk's pages on webshots), have explanations for much of this. Several of my engines have had none of  this done, and they run just fine. What I don't know, is for how long! The idea of a 20,000 hour (??) or longer life is much more appealing than one of 2,000 hours.

Have heard over and over again that the Indian Listeroid engine, the way they are set up in India, will not operate more than several thousand hours without repairs.

My 6.2 Gm diesels do OK with their higher compression ratios and higher RPM; I think the lower C/R of the Listeroids, their huge displacement to HP ratio, and low RPM can really make a difference in fuel consumption and reliability.

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2008, 07:52:19 PM »
Steve

Hehe... I read your post about the stuff that came with yours.  That's really weird. And pretty funny... :)

Everything but the umbrella was just stuck in the toolbox, The umbrella had two metal brackets to hole it in place just as if it was some delicate part.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 07:53:52 PM by rbodell »
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007