Author Topic: Changeover valve surprise  (Read 4767 times)

zacksstacks

• View Profile
Changeover valve surprise
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:29:04 AM »
Tonight I was running the 10/1 briefly to test whether the valve train noise is affected by closing down the cold clearances. (it is, slightly) Just before shutting down I thought "Heck, I've never opened the changeover valve, I wnder if it changed the sound". So I reached over, leaning past some clutter and had my head next to the engine about lined up with the valve and opened 'er up...  :o

Why didn't I see that coming?  :P

sid

• View Profile
Re: Changeover valve surprise
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:36:05 AM »
it did not take long to close that thing back//your hearing will return in a day or so// if not I suggest a good lip reading course/// do not for get the forums motto/// do what// what did you say//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:36:19 PM »
Atleast if you are deaf you won't have to worry about valve train noise...
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 06:24:46 AM »
On automatic start Listers (other than the 5/1 etc) the changeover valve is electrically operated, and acts as a decompressor as well as a change-over.

5/1 and others in the range had a valve lifter solenoid, the compression ratio valve was not operated during starting.

The CD and CE showed this in greatest detail.

Peter

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 06:46:25 AM »
And don't forget the eye protection - love it when them burning chunks of carbon or whatever come flyin' out the vent hole. ::)

zacksstacks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 03:10:53 PM »
Yes, it was about dusk and it sounded like a series of pistol shots until I got the valve opened all the way! Neat flame gout too, fairly exciting until I gathered myself...  ;)

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 03:19:53 AM »
On that note,

I wanted to remove the COV internal parts. I removed the handle and threaded rod. Then I placed an awl in the small hole to try and remove the plug. It was stuck.

Well, I got the bright idea that compression would push it out. So, I cranked the engine by hand. I then released the compression release. There was enough fuel in the chamber for it to light right off. BOOM!!!!

The COV plug came out, like a bullet. It hit a small (maybe 3 inch diam) tree about 50 feet away and blew the tree into bits. The awl, still in it, was sticking out of the plug, which was imbedded in the shattered tree trunk.

Kinda cool, as long as no one gets hurt.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Stan

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 03:03:12 PM »
For those who do not have a manual on how to do this (safely)  ::), here's a quote. 

" Drive a hard wooden plug into the 1/4in. dia. hole in the centre to prevent air leakage and then replace the outer portions just removed, with the handwheel in the "out" position, and with the outer combustion chamber nut screwed into the head three or four turns, which will be sufficient to prevent the inner combustion chamber from being ejected too violently when subjected to the force of compression.1"

They do love run-on sentences don't they?

Stan

1  From original manual supplied with 1949 Lister 6/1

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 02:45:49 AM »
On that note,

I wanted to remove the COV internal parts. I removed the handle and threaded rod. Then I placed an awl in the small hole to try and remove the plug. It was stuck.

Well, I got the bright idea that compression would push it out. So, I cranked the engine by hand. I then released the compression release. There was enough fuel in the chamber for it to light right off. BOOM!!!!

The COV plug came out, like a bullet. It hit a small (maybe 3 inch diam) tree about 50 feet away and blew the tree into bits. The awl, still in it, was sticking out of the plug, which was imbedded in the shattered tree trunk.

Kinda cool, as long as no one gets hurt.

Chris

Oh man... ROFL!

I'd have gave up a 6-pack of Racer-5 Pale Ale to see that in person!   (as long as no one gets hurt.  ;D)

Steve
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 12:10:58 AM »
I knew it was going to "pop" out, so I aimed the engine into the woods. What I did not know is that it was going to light off. My engine starts very easily, so I suppose that was to be expected.

Of course, I was not in the path of the projectile. I know better than that.

Chris

People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence