Author Topic: Blended Waste Oil  (Read 24250 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Blended Waste Oil
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 06:27:51 AM »
fuel is sold by liquid volume, one calibrated gallon is exactly equal to all other calibrated gallons.  trying to arb fuel based on thermal expansion seems a fools game.  What would the station owner do, wait for a cold day to take delivery and then heat it up prior to pumping?  What happens in the summer, does he only take delivery at night when it is cooler, or better yet first thing in the morning so the fuel in the tanker is cold from the night before? 

It's actually a fair amount.  Thats why airplanes never "fill" their tanks, and measure fuel by weight. 

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 04:32:04 AM »
Hi Everyone

I have some info... After more running on straight diesel, The same problem began happening on diesel!

I received my overhaul manual, and studied it! I found there was a strainer in the fuel pump inlet that was plugged solid!

I cleaned it up and now its running great! even on the same batch of blended fuel it was acting up with before!

Thank You, to all for the comments and Ideas!
Rob

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 08:57:33 AM »
Hi Everyone

I have some info... After more running on straight diesel, The same problem began happening on diesel!

I received my overhaul manual, and studied it! I found there was a strainer in the fuel pump inlet that was plugged solid!

I cleaned it up and now its running great! even on the same batch of blended fuel it was acting up with before!

Thank You, to all for the comments and Ideas!
Rob

I once had a boat and the engine had a filter "inside a fuel line" of all places. Of course it had to get plugged when a man on the boat had a stroke and the coast guard decided they were too lazy to send a boat to pick him up in flat calm weather. They wanted to pick him up at the sea bouy. I spent 17 hours in the engine room manually pumping fuel to the engine with the priming pump and the boat making about 2 knots while the coasties sat on their ass watching the cartoons on tv. Needless to say, the man died. I have never had any use for the coast guard since then.

When we got back to the dock and I called a mechanic and discribed the situation, The mechanic knew the problem rite away. The company forgot to mention the inlline filter in it's early owners manuals.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 09:01:08 AM by rbodell »
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 12:38:56 PM »
Jens

This strainer was located inside the fuel pump (transfer pump/per the manual) inlet fitting banjo bolt. I had torn down the fuel pump to inspect it prior to this
but did not remove the banjo fitting. (I thought it was just a fitting!) this location is before the primary and secondary fuel filters. The only thing that was to be
before it was a tank strainer, according to the book.  I didnt even have one of those in my temporary system, just a suction line.

It was loaded so solid I had difficulty getting the bolt out of the Banjo Fitting! There is no way that it all got there from the amount of running it has had since
I have had it.

The return line now has a very strong stream!  ;D  before it only dribbled.

Bob

That sucks about the fella who had the stroke! You deserve a medal for that 17 hours of pumping that primer!

Rob

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 01:38:36 PM »
Jens

This strainer was located inside the fuel pump (transfer pump/per the manual) inlet fitting banjo bolt. I had torn down the fuel pump to inspect it prior to this
but did not remove the banjo fitting. (I thought it was just a fitting!) this location is before the primary and secondary fuel filters. The only thing that was to be
before it was a tank strainer, according to the book.  I didnt even have one of those in my temporary system, just a suction line.

It was loaded so solid I had difficulty getting the bolt out of the Banjo Fitting! There is no way that it all got there from the amount of running it has had since
I have had it.

The return line now has a very strong stream!  ;D  before it only dribbled.

Bob

That sucks about the fella who had the stroke! You deserve a medal for that 17 hours of pumping that primer!

Rob

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought that was where you were talking about, just not sure.

Hardly a medal, Just a little hot down there. The hard part was telling the mans wife why it took so long to get him to the doctor.

He was in his 70's He helped build the boat from day one. Wouldn't take any pay, all he wanted to do was to go fishing on it. That happened on the first night of the sea trial. He never got to wet a hook.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 02:56:07 PM »
I have recently (the last 10 years) re-discovered the Motorguard filter. They are available from stores that sell painting (like automotive) supplies. These guys have the best price I have seen. Sometimes, if you search this site, you will find them on sale for 45 bucks. I think any model Motorguard would be OK, the fittings are different, but so what? Oil moves slow the way I do it. 

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-6834&category=datapaint&maxhits=20&keywords=MOT-M45

The standard Motorguard element is 0.5 micron. Is is similar to a toilet paper roll, but not the same.

I really like the results of gravity siphon through the Motorguard. While I have not "tested" the particulates in the filtered WMO, it is obviously much cleaner. The result is no clogged filters on my equipment.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 04:52:06 PM »
Chris

That price does seem good! Good info.

How many gallons before the element needs replacement? How much are the .5 micron elements?

Thank You
 Rob

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 09:11:06 PM »
No idea on the cost of the replacement elements. It is not too complicated to use (the proper tightly wound, old school) Scott tissue as a replacement. I think some PVC pipe will support the Scott roll, no problem.

There used to be a guy selling this stuff, Ralph Wood was his name. I am not sure if he is still around. But he had a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

In my case, I make sure to let the used motor oil sit in a drum for a LONG time. I then siphon from the top. I never add oil to a drum that has settled. You would not believe the sludge on the bottom. Inches thick!
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 10:19:20 PM »
Hi Everyone

I thought I would take a minute and give an update. Since I cleaned that strainer... I have been running my generator on more of the same blended oil as before.
and all is going great so far. I have also tried the diesel thinning method as well as kerosene. both seem to work fine. I have run approx 20~30 Gallons of blended oil since I cleaned the inlet strainer. No problems so far!

Since the last post I have added an Alternator (GM 1 Wire) to better maintain the battery... Didnt make sense to use a battery charger running off of my gen head.
using an alternator took some load off the gen head. This seem's to be working very well.

I have been doing some work on the (12 Volt) electrical system also. It now has an enclosure and the beginings of a proper electrical system.

I also need to update (Replace/Upgrade) the Gen Head "Dog House" I will be installing a "Wiegman" Box with the needed plugs for convenient connections. I also will be installing a load contactor for proper loading and unloading of the Gen Head. At somepoint I intend to install sealed bearing's as well, so far Ive been running the original bearings and grease.

I am currently working out the details of the electric fan circuit. The fan switch that is on it now turns the fan on at around 170 deg f, That is way to soon in my way of thinking. I think it should turn on around 210~220, and off at 190~200 deg F. I have found that I can get whatever temp I want by ordering a "GEMS" switch. Does anyone see any reason that I should'nt run at these temp ranges. My info does not give me a max temp? there is a over temp safety switch... but I dont know what temp it trips at yet. Does anyone know what temp it is? (ThermoKing C201 refer unit engine)

I have ordered injector line heaters from "Fattywagon" and will install them as soon as they arrive. along with that I will create a heated fuel tank system and fuel filter heaters so I can run my waste oil straight... without thinning. Boy.. I cant wait to hear the opinions once I start doing that stuff ;D

I have not done anything with the sound enclosure yet.... It was the thing I thought I would have gotten done first! so much for the master plan.. It seem's like things have a way of creating there own priority and seldom does it match with my list.

All Input is appreaciated
Rob

moesoo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 03:27:36 AM »
please indulge this old newbie.  what is RUG?  i know i could use one on top of my head because my hair keeps leaving, but what is it really?  thanks jer

MikeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 04:32:58 AM »
Regular Unleaded Gas

moesoo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 02:24:34 AM »
yea thanks.  just after i shut the computer down it came to me!!!  guess besides needing the rug for my missing head hair, i need some of those memory jogger pills.  jer