Author Topic: Import / Export  (Read 3581 times)

dpollo

• View Profile
Import / Export
« on: March 07, 2008, 02:54:59 AM »
I have obtained a single cylinder enclosed flywheel Lister ( late 50's) here in Canada for a friend in the USA.  I have had a look through the US Customs regs and still am left wondering what might be involved in getting this item into the US.  He is willing to come and get it, which might simplify matters somewhat, but what impediments---like EPA--- are we likely to face?    Do EPA regs apply to antiques imported for non commercial use?

If anyone has been this route, I would sure like to know what buttons to push, and what pitfalls to avoid. As I live on an island, just showing up at US customs is not a convenient option.    dp

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Import / Export
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 03:08:56 AM »
No EPA issues.

but I believe you must used a skid thathas been heat treated to prevent invasive Canadian insects from crossing
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 03:23:30 AM »
Thanks, Doug.  As you probably know, we have some mean pine beetles here in BC whom I am sure would not hesitate to jump the border if given the opportunity.  Seriously though, this unit is on a wooden skid which should probably be removed.  Does anyone recollect how diamonds were transported in the sump of a marine engine in Nevil Shute's "Trustee From The Toolroom" (a great read for the mechanically inclined)  dp

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:30:48 AM »
Processed woods like plywood and chipboard are OK, sawn raw timber has to be treated and carry a certificate or recognised marking to show that it is compliant. Most new pallets are OK these days, but when it was introduced it caused a few problems for shippers.

That was introduced in 2006 IIRC.

Peter

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »
Thank you, Peter, that is good advice.  dp

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 03:33:54 AM »
EPA regs don't apply to antique engines and those diesels built before July 1, 2006.

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 01:39:23 AM »
Thanks, Listeroidusa. 

I wondered when the EPA had stuck its oar in. Common sense seems to have prevailed in this instance.  All I am trying to avoid here is a bureaucratic hassle. Most of us have discovered Customs officials are "always right".

We should be ok. If we run into any problems, I will be sure to post them for all to see.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 09:04:50 PM »
. Most of us have discovered Customs officials are "always right".

We should be ok. If we run into any problems, I will be sure to post them for all to see.

Do they have computers in jails ?

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 05:30:29 AM »
Good point, Mike.

Let me rephrase my post.........  "We should be all right. If dpollo disappears from the forum you will know he had trouble ......... "

I did manage (inadvertently) to pinch a Canada Customs Officer's pen once.  When I realized it was in my pocket, a reflex action made me check the rear view mirror.  By and large, I have found Customs agents quite helpful if you seek their advice first, and keep any "attitudes"  for a later date.