Puppeteer

Author Topic: Coming Soon from VW: A 69.9 MPG Diesel Hybrid  (Read 4828 times)

rmchambers

• View Profile
Re: Coming Soon from VW: A 69.9 MPG Diesel Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 01:23:24 PM »
About time too... finally, small, economical AND DIESEL!!!!

I'd forgo the hybrid crap if it made the whole package more reliable but it's the "in" thing at the moment.

RC

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 06:32:17 PM »

Is that 70mpg based on a US Gallon. Up here in Canader,our gallons are5/4 bigger.  So,if this is based on a US Gallon ,then that works out to 87.5mpg per Imperial gallon.

Not bad,but is it worth it? My '02 Jetta TDI gets slightly over 60 mpg @ 100kph(62.5mph). Anyway,hybrid or not,DIESEL IS THE WAY TO GO!

Bluecometk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 04:11:17 AM »
Subaru had a gas engine powered vehicle in 1968 that got about 62 or 67 mpg at 55mph but that thing was a death trap.Four strong guys could pick it up and carry it away.
In the Subaru of america attic/museum their is a vehicle that went 100 mile on a gallon of gas at 55 mph. It was designed by Alex Tremulus. (sorry about the spelling).

As of this writing we don't have any  diesels in our attic yet.
Bluecometk

Yanmar 10 hp LA-100 DIY genset
2 MTU 2000 V12's
12 KW 4cyl Kolor Genset
35 KW  4cyl  Cumins Genset
3 cyl  Volvo  bow thruster
Onan DJB 6.0 genset
Waiting for a proven Redstone

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 08:45:23 AM »

I remember seeing a picture of one of those early Subaru's,with a brief description of the layout. Almost the same as a Citroen 2CV!  Japanese are great at 'copycating' and at the same time improving the product.  The 1st Nissans were Austin 7's built under license in Japan in the late 20's!

Trivia Question:  What patent did Bell Laboritories(US) sell to Sony Corp.(Japan) for $10,000.00?

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 09:25:31 AM »
I'll take a guess.  The transister?  :-\    I want to guess the VCR because I have a hard time believing they would sell something as fundamental as the transister but the first transister radio I ever saw was a Sony.     Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 01:49:50 PM »
About time too... finally, small, economical AND DIESEL!!!!

I'd forgo the hybrid crap if it made the whole package more reliable but it's the "in" thing at the moment.

RC

Hybrid technology is like any other technology - if you have a good use for it, you can get a good result out of it.  Most hybrid designs tend to have that 'cobbled together out of conventional ideas' look about them.

If you haven't looked at the inner workings of Toyota's hybrid system used on the Prius, it's worth looking at.  If the batteries are reliable, the whole system should be almost eternal - there are no friction clutches in the system at all - the magic is done by two permanent-magnet motor-generators and a single planetary gearset.  The motor generators (one on the ring, one on the sun shaft.  The engine is on the planet cluster and wheel drive is from the ring) sometimes buck each other, sometimes one generates current to feed the other, and sometimes both are working as motor or generator depending on where power is coming from just now and where it needs to go.  All in all, it's a clever and very original solution to the electric hybrid problem.  It's also compact and generically adaptable to anything, pretty much.

Hybrid-shmybrid.  It's the coolest automatic transmission design I've ever seen, as well as being continuously variable.
6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:41:42 PM »
Most hybrid designs tend to have that 'cobbled together out of conventional ideas' look about them.

You wana see Cobled?
I was the flame keeper for some of the very last built Kiruna K 1050 E all electric dump trucks ( I have kept 4 running over the years ).
This seemed for the longest time to be proof to me that 15 million Swedes can be wrong and that ABB engineers are mental patients hidden away high above the artic circle deap in the tundra where they can't get proper treatment.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Bluecometk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 11:46:32 PM »
 Subaru has an unbelievable gasoline engine hybrid system that can get 47+ mpg and still make 247 hp. The place that the flywheel would normaly be houses a linear power/starter/charger/braking motor. But we won't see it for a long time because Toyota temporarily purchased the rights to our battery technology (NEC). The battery tech is unbelievable.   You can charge a discharged battery (-30%) to 90+ percent in 15 minutes and 100+% in 20 minutes. Nobody else can do that yet. And now some Toyotas are being built in the (SIA) Subaru Indiana plant.

On the CVT side, Subaru had an (ECVT) Electronically Controlled Variable Transmission back in 1987 in the Justy and we used it until 1994 until we sold that technology to Nissan. Back in the day, the Justy ECVT was getting 36 to 43 actual mpg and the 4WD ECVT version about 3 mpg less. The trans was really neat in that the belt was not conventional; it was made up of 256 segments held together by 8 flat bands. What is really ingenious about it is it pushed the  drive pulley instead of pulling it. Think about the technology that it took to keep the belt tight enough to not slip but loose enough to ratio up and down the pulley. Slick as snot on a doorknob!

The simple Japanese b--tards even put a high performance mode on it for what they called sport driving. Yeh, sport driving from a three cylinder three valve per cylinder fuel injected 77hp engine. NOT!

In 1989, we did take one Justy and lowered it, de-stroked it to 966cc, took the balance shaft out, machined a cam that made power at 10,000 rpm and up, put three Makuuni carbs on it, and a coffee can for a fuel cooler along with a Pampers diaper box for an air intake box in the cowl and a piece of hardware store flexible dryer hose and then set the Bonneville I-production record at 124.23 mph. On the first day we set the record at 117.86, but that was before the Pampers box and dryer hose and coffee can fuel cooler. With the second day came the big numbers.  On the first out and back pass, it went 124.23 mph with the engine twisting 11,930 rpm. Then it all went south and the engine lost a cylinder or so we thought. So with a record some twelve mph faster than ever before, they went home.

Come to find out 5 years ago that the engine didn’t go away. I had to get it running for a news article and so I had to put it all back together. What we thought was a cylinder failure turned out to be that a screw had fallen out of one of the carb bell cranks. So when the engine was idling, it ran on all three cylinders but off of idle it would lose a cylinder, because that set of throttle plates wasn’t opening.

Just a note, the record is still held today by the Justy and it was all done by a bunch of DIY guys on thier own time and money after work at our R&D center. Fun stuff if that’s your cup of tea.I know it is mine

Bluecometk

Bluecometk

Yanmar 10 hp LA-100 DIY genset
2 MTU 2000 V12's
12 KW 4cyl Kolor Genset
35 KW  4cyl  Cumins Genset
3 cyl  Volvo  bow thruster
Onan DJB 6.0 genset
Waiting for a proven Redstone