Puppeteer

Author Topic: Thou Shalt Not Screw With Mother Nature  (Read 16831 times)

Stan

Re: Thou Shalt Not Screw With Mother Nature
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2008, 12:32:57 AM »
That's exactly what our right wing ultra capitalist provincial government is doing here in BC.  They've gutted our universal medicare system by forming "health authorities" around the province, drastically underfunding them, and stepping back saying "don't blame us, the health authority is to blame".  They want to raise the wait times for operations and health care of all kinds so much that they develop a healthier population through attrition.

They are facing political attrition however, they just don't know it yet.  ;)
Stan

CD in BC

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 06:36:17 PM »
Well Stan, since you're not the type to shrink from the ugly have a look at what they put on the fields in the contiguous 48 -where most of our groceries come from!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/news/special/fear_fields.html

Stan

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2008, 09:45:46 PM »
That's why I've been having trouble swimming as far as I used to be able to.  I always thought it was just because I was in less and less good shape.  Now I can blame it on the heavy metals weighing me down!   ;D

CD....Yup and there's plenty more "ugly stuff" going on all the time.  If we knew about 1/2 of it we'd roll up in a ball, stick our thumb in our mouths and go catatonic.
STan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2008, 10:32:13 PM »
They built the finest cancer treatment lung center in Canada here in the Nickle city for a reason.

" If we were intended to have nickle dust in our lungs then God would have put it there. ". Not my words but a fellow who like so many people here got lung cancer from the refinery. I don't grow any food any more in my garden since the soil study from Port Colburn indicated that so much heavy metal contamination there ( from ore here before they closed the  "little" refinery ) actualy stunts the growth of crops. Who knows what to does to people? When after 5 years will they release the soil study here?

I have " the hack " sounds like a bad chest cold ( and smoking doesn't help ) from sucking diesel and dust in the deap.

Anyone would agree this modern life is the problem, but I'm not so sure any of us are willing to give up all the good that goes with modern life to completely remove the risks....

Not far from where I sit and type this there is a creek that runs blood red with rust and metals, but as long as no one can see it does anyone realy care?
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2008, 02:56:13 AM »
My farm (1/4 section ) in Dawson Creek had a bad problem with white muscle disease in my sheep.  It affects lambs who die within days of birth unless they are hit with a big Selenium/vitamin E shot a couple of days after birth.  The ewes also have to be fed selenium in their salt ration.   It is usually attibuted to a lack of Selenium in the soil.  My soil tested with lots of Selenium in it!  Big mystery. One day I was up flying (no! in my ultralight) and got waaay up there.  I have only one instrument on it which is a piece of string tied to a flying wire.  (you old pilots will know the rest of the joke) so I dont know how high I was.  Anyway it was spring and the leaves were just out on the trees.  As I turned over the farm I caught a glimpse of something not quite right on the ground. It looked like a huge funnel pointing toward the west.

I rented one of the club's tri-pacers the next weekend and went out hunting (no, not for moose, for funnels).  As I got almost up to 9,000 feet, I saw the "funnel" of brown, pointing toward the west, and followed it toward Chetwynd.  The brown funnel (trees that had not gotten their leaves yet) I saw it pointed directly to a large natural gas "scrubbing plant" busily belching out poisonous sulpher, heavy metals and other assorted gases.  My farm was directly downwind of the pollution.

I sent my soil and hay to the agricultural research station in Alberta for analysis and it turns out I had a high level of sulphur in my soil which was supressing the plants ability to absorb the selenium in the soil.  Voila!  The so-called "clean" natural gas energy supply is only clean in the big cities, all the poisons get belched out into the air in the remote regions of our planet.

some wise man once said  "Thou Shalt Not Screw With Mother Nature"  ::)
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2008, 03:10:27 AM »
Stan Google earth the Nickle city look for the tailings ponds and places where things still don't grow.

Screw with mother nature after "105 years of counting" ( very simply people bean counters cost VS bennifit ) its only in the last 30 they decided it was no longer cost effective to kill her.

Then my friend go to Norilsk in the Kola peninsula, this time of year the Sulpher and fall out turns the snow in Siberia yellow

This just makes my heart sink Stan.....

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1661031_1661028_1661025,00.html

Stalin once boasted he could correct Natures mistakes ( what an idiot )
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:33:09 AM by Doug »
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2008, 05:41:59 AM »
 I drove through the area in the early 70's, I think it was 1971.  It was pretty barren looking then, much better from the highway now.  I'll look it up on google earth later on my other computer, this one is too slow.

People call Ghengis Kahn cruel but he only lined one village up and killed every other man because they broke his laws.  After that you could ride as a pretty young naked woman with saddle bags full of gold from one end of his empire to the other and not be harmed.  They knew the power of "deterant" then, not like today.  He didn't screw with mother nature however.
Stan

btw...All of the above (the Ghengis Kahn stuff)  is just legend and we all know that.  Since there was nothing written down in those days it's impossible to prove any of this one way or t'other so dont' anyone go getting their knickers in a knot and start trying to prove the legends are wrong.  The only basis of proof is "it makes sense".
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:45:40 AM by Stan »