Author Topic: 3600rpm diesel, not slow but it's free. (direct connect alternator)  (Read 12109 times)

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
Re: 3600rpm diesel, not slow but it's free. (direct connect alternator)
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 01:24:11 AM »
A little shameless advertising here; but if using one of these engines in a non-monitored environment, low oil pressure switches, as well as injection pumps with selenoids built in to them are available.  Removes the need for hands on starting/stopping using the governor lever.  When you said the engine had on oil filter, did you mean a full spin on one, or just the oil screen at the bottom of the motor?   If it's anything other than the screen, I'd like to see a picture.

One trick to starting these in the cold weather: Hold down the decompression while rolling the engine over serveral (2-6 depending on how cold) times.  Release the decompression, and contrinue cranking (electric) or perform one full pull start.  Engine will usually start regardless of how cold.  If it doesn't fire immediately, start again from the beginning, rolling it over more times before a full compression start attempt.  Easier on the starter, whether electric or human.

Cheers,

Steve
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

matteas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 02:18:03 AM »
Steve- I'm thinking the same thing- incorporating simple electro magnetic solenoids like the one used on the low oil switch to control compression release and engine speed. The engine has a built in generator that supplies 12V to the battery so powering the solenoids wouldn't be a problem.  You're correct it  has a oil screen- I called it a filter.
This engine /generator was used at a construction site and the guys didn't know how to use the decompression. Eventually the starter gear stripped and damaged the flywheel. They thought it was worthless trash- hence free for me.  So knowing how to use the decompression is important.

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 02:31:12 AM »
Ok, 
     Now you have confused me a bit.  I take it your engine has a low oil pressure switch and one of the selenoids that pulls the cutout lever on the governor already then??

The part I was reffering to is a new injection pump that has a selenoid built in.  This requires constant power to run, where the setup you may already have uses a short pulse of power to shut down the engine only.  It saves the engine vy shutting it down, but doesn't allow you to start it remotely. (ie; you'd have to reset the governor to the on position)   

You shouldn't normally have to use the decompression for electric starting of the engine, are the starter & flywheel damaged (beyond use or otherwise)??

Steve

matteas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 03:39:07 AM »
Steve- It's got the switch and the solenoid for low oil. I don't think my engine has that new solenoid on the injection pump.
I don't quite get  the engine shut down completely (ie- when turning off the key) are you're saying there's an electrical pulse that triggers shut down?
I do have to reset the governor to restart.
The starter was replaced and the ring gear was turned on the flywheel. It should be good now.
But no it doesn't like starting without using decompression. It feels like the starter doesn't have the umph to get past the compression stroke.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:45:00 AM by matteas »

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 01:39:39 PM »
Matteas,
        If, when you turn the key off, the engine shuts down, the key is wired up so that it routes the output of the charging coil in to the shutdown selenoid, and connects the ground directly, instead of through the low oil switch first.  So if you turn the key to off, with the engine turning, it trips the shutdown selenoid.  If you stall the engine first, then turn the key off, it wont trip the selenoid.

I'm really surprised about the starter.  I've never seen these engines act that way, unless the battery was really low.  Lead acid batteries supplied by the Chinese companies have a bad history, I ususally use a garden tractor battery from Walmart.  More capacity, and much better shelf life.

Steve