Puppeteer

Author Topic: 3600rpm diesel, not slow but it's free. (direct connect alternator)  (Read 12131 times)

matteas

• View Profile
Ideally I would go for a Listeroid but this little free diesel generator just came my way. It's a yanmar clone 10hp 3600 rpm screamer. It's got direct injection and passes EPA standards. At 3600 rpm this engine probably won't last to long but connected directly to an alternator may make a good standby battery charger. The Zena 24 amp alternator puts out approx. 100 amps at 3600rpm hot rating. The engine is rated at 8hp.  I understand that an alternator is about 50% efficient so under perfect conditions I wouldn't get more than 100 amps (24V).  The direct connection would save the belt drive losses.  What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:04:01 PM by matteas »

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: 3600rpm diesel, not slow but it's free. (direct connect alternator)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 08:08:59 PM »
Direct works fine, done it myself with a 8 hp brigs and a big Leice Neville.

One problem......

If your batteries are realy low the engine will have a bitch of a time trying to get up to speed and your going to hammer the hell out of your rings and bearings. Find a way to shut the field down for easier starting.

Its also going to be a bitch to start even on a warm day with the field on and progressively worse the colder it gets
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

matteas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 09:36:23 PM »
Doug- how did you do the direct connect?  What kind of output do you get from that alternator/ brigs? Any pictures? I have a generator on the output shaft and would like to keep it. I would connect to the alternator on the flywheel side, just not sure how to yet> I have a compression release lever and electric start so that will help with starting. Does a balmar type controller have a load disconect?

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 10:21:07 PM »
Congrats on your diesel purchase.
Those are great little engines. I ordered one for myself for an upcoming project.
When I checked the power curve, I found that the torque line remains unchanged (flat) to 3300 rpm.
My idea was to run my engine at 2200 rpm and belt drive to an 1800 rpm, 5kw gen head.
This should greatly increase the life of the engine while cutting down on the noise.
By the way, these engines run great on biodiesel. No diesel smell (actualy smells like donuts).
Good luck with your project.

Veggie
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 03:26:48 AM by Veggie »

matteas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 10:47:38 PM »
Veggie- I'm up and running on biodiesel- the engine runs great and like you said it smells good too!
You can easily change the constant speed setting and make it adjustable. When I throttle back to around 1500 rpm the engine quiets down nicely. At 3600 rpm you need hearing protection, this engine is very loud at full speed.
I would like to see that power curve if you can provide a link.

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:55:17 PM »
Hi,
    Nice find.  If you are going to connect an alternator on the flywheel side, you could do it if you remove the recoil starter.  I woudn't remove the shroud, as the engine will overheat due to lack of air flow.  What brand is the engine?  Link to the power curve, parts diagram etc. on our website: http://www.hightechhicks.com/UD10/Diesel10Info.htm

Steve
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

matteas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 11:16:26 PM »
Steve thanks for the link-
The brand is xingyue. Seems like they make lots of atv style vehicles. I've heard some bad things about these Chinese clones but so far am pleased with over all quality, it even has an oil filter.
Good call on retaining the shroud, I will follow that advice.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:18:27 PM by matteas »

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 12:07:25 AM »
Here's the link to the air cooled engine section of the manufacturer's site. (Changfa and Launtop make these engines amoung others)

http://www.launtop.com/product0.asp?rootid=1

and here's the link to the power curves.

http://launtop.com/part/138.html

Although yours is not the same make, I bet it looks the same ;-)
There are several manufacturers who all make the same models. They buy their components from the same supplers.

Post some pictures when you get your project finished.

hope this helps,
Veggie

matteas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:22:33 AM »
Veggie thanks for the links-
Notice how fuel consumption is lowest between 2500-3000 rpm.
I think the sweet spot would be around 3000 rpm - best combination of HP/Torque and fuel consumption.

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 03:36:04 AM »
You're right, 2500 rpm for me would be the best combination of slower speed and good fuel economy.
At 2500 rpm, the engine makes 8HP which is enough for a 5kw (or 6.7 hp) gen head.
I have not yet recieved my engine. How does it sound when you run it down around 2000 - 2400??
Still smooth ? any banging or excessive knocking? Is there a considerable reducton in noise ?

Orientation:
Have you considered running your engine slow, and belt driving the generator up to 3600 rpm ?

Veggie
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:05:53 AM by Veggie »

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 04:37:56 AM »
yes the balmar has the ability to turn the alternator off, just make sure you get an externally regulated
or piggyback regulator style alternator,, not a delco

you can make a direct coupler for the alternator to engine output and let the alternator hang on the brgs
it will impart less side load than a belt drive and then all you have to do is put a torque strap on the alternator to keep it
from spinning.

there are various truck alternators in the rpm range that put out good power.
the balmar can be programmed to get the max out for the engine hp available as well.
bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

matteas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 04:58:05 PM »
Veggie- Remember that this graph shoes MAX hp/torque. Rated output at 2500 rpm would be more like 6hp. I would go slower but I think hp would drop. This engine is only 418cc so it needs revs to develop hp. For bulk charging a battery bank I'll keep the revs up for max output and then lower rpm for smaller loads - just my opinion.

The engine is very smooth down to approx. 1500 rpm. At that speed I can remove my ear plugs. It's still pretty loud at 2000- 2500. I'll run some more tests and will post my findings.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:40:29 PM by matteas »

matteas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 05:18:25 PM »
Bob-  The Zena 24v alternator seems like a good one. Heavy duty design intended for welding and deep cycle battery charging. It's not the cheapest alternator around but I want something that is purpose built for this application.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 07:08:49 PM by matteas »

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 09:23:04 PM »
How do you do a three stage charge.............eq?
Dung-fong #1 - Mfg. Date 1980/8kw Winco gen...In pieces
Dung-fong #2 - Mfg. Date also 1980/8kw Winco gen...runs
      totally awesome after 10+ years of sitting.
1987 Ford F350, crewcab, dually 4X4.....Cummins Powered...
1956 Willy's all-a-round great four wheeler, VERY CUSTOM....

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 10:19:38 PM »
The Balmer controler has those functions built in.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.