Author Topic: Daihatsu DM950D  (Read 57107 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Daihatsu DM950D
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:13:27 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Daihatsu DM950D

This engine is sold in the USA as a Briggs and Stratton Vangard diesel and its the engine in the Kawasaki diesel mule and might also be in some Bobcats or other light construction machines.

Websearch hasn't turned up any useful info on it and I'd like to find out if they are worth the trouble to strip and rebuild
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Daihatsu DM950D
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:57:26 AM »
I can't be the only one who has noticed this engine....

http://www.purplewaveauction.net/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?purple70/9503

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 02:55:20 PM »
Doug:  Thanks for the link to the site ...Boy they have a bunch of them for sale cheap.....Cool site!

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 04:50:34 PM »
It looks like it's cheap, but no shipping. All items must be picked up in KS.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »
now that is a cute little engine :)

and turbocharged as well,, cool

how many do they have?

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

lgsracer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 09:43:24 PM »
More info:

New turbocharged diesel from Briggs & Stratton Daihatsu
Mike Brezonick

Continuing the evolution of its line of small water-cooled engines, Briggs & Stratton Daihatsu has introduced a turbocharged version of its DM950 diesel. The new DM950DT engine, introduced at the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute's Expo '99 in Louisville, is rated 31 gross hp at 3600 rpm, with peak torque of 51 ft.lb, at 2400 rpm.

"The 950DT will match the output of the 950cc gasoline engine, completing the perfect interchangeability, not only in size and envelope, but also in power and torque," noted Paul Farny, general manager of Briggs & Stratton Daihatsu. From the inception of the joint venture engine program between Briggs & Stratton, Milwaukee, Wis., and Daihatsu Motor Co. Ltd., Osaka, Japan, interchangeability has been one of the hallmarks of the engines, as diesel, gasoline and LPG versions of the DM700 and DM950 engines all feature the same dimensions. This allows the equipment manufacturer to develop diesel or gaseous-fueled versions of the same machine, without a lot of re-engineering of the equipment.

This flexibility has proven to be extremely popular in the turf and industrial equipment markets, as they allow manufacturers to offer virtually the same machine configuration with any fuel type required.

The DM series engines are all four-stroke, three-cylinder overhead valve engines that feature cast iron cylinder blocks, with cast-in wet cylinder liners. The head is cast aluminum for the gasoline engines and cast iron for the diesels, with a cross flow port design incorporating six head bolts per cylinder and press fit replaceable valve seats. The crankshaft on the DM950 engines is forged carbon steel with hardened and ground fillets for heavy-duty durability. The line also features a pressure lubrication system with spin-on oil filter, cyclone-type air cleaner; and side outlet exhaust manifold.

"The engine has retained its extreme compactness even with the addition of the turbocharger," Farny added. "The increase of overall width is 0.25 in., and the height over crankshaft centerline is increased only 7/8th in." Dimensions of the DM950DT are 16.7 in. long x 16.15 in. wide x 20.18 high. Dry weight is 200 lb.

Another important feature, Farny noted, is a liquid-cooled bearing for the turbocharger. "In addition to a generous flow of lube oil while running, this cooling jacket will protect the beating from heat soak when the engine is shut down after it has been running under heavy load." A water-lube oil cooler is also available as an option, Farny said.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 09:54:58 PM »
I've been looking at two of them at work out of Mules ( 24 hp non turbo ) one has a hole where a connecting rod exited the other is just whipped. This thread was about parts and service originaly but as you can see they apear to be very cheap from this source...

The seem very trouble free provided you rememebr the put oil in them lol....

I don't like the distributor injection pump. Too me thats a week link compared to the Nippon inline Injection system used on comparable Kubota products ( And I know that pump is abolutely bullit proof ).

A diesel mule will blow the doors off a RTV 900 with about the same displacement. They seem equal in durability, but thats based on observation and not actualy hour meter/service records.
At 1500 hours a 900 cc Kub engine is done in rough service, Mules not enough around to be absolutely sure

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 03:19:30 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Daihatsu Turbo-Diesel engine on my Gravely 272z blew apart today. It has 597 well maintaned hours on it. Its also out of warrenty. I remember reading some posts about a problem that some of these engines had. I did a search, but couldn't find the exact posts. Does anyone remember the engine problem?

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!

bob
View Public Profile
Find all posts by bob

#2    07-19-2006, 11:15 PM 
coyotekid 
LawnSite Member   Join Date: May 2005

Was it ever overheated, even once?! The Kubota and Daihatsu small 3 cylinder diesels are extremely sensitive to being overheated, as you may already know.

My Kubota was overheated once...and not that severely. It was enough to warp the head, make the engine start drinking coolant, and subsequently ruin all the internal bearings.

I had an Exmark engineer agree with me recently...he said both were great engines but VERY sensitive to overheating. Keep those screens clean...
2002 Grasshopper 928D Kubota Diesel
(2) Stihl FS250
Stihl SH85 vac/blower
Stihl BR420 backpack blower
Lesco Roto/Drop spreader
Ariens 21" push with crazy wheels, 6.0 HP Kawi

Much grass to cut and debts to pay!

coyotekid
View Public Profile
Find all posts by coyotekid

#3    07-20-2006, 07:49 AM 
tomo 
LawnSite Senior Member   Join Date: Feb 2006

hello, big end bearing problems, on a turbo version,threw a conrod from memoryor very noisey [knocking b/end] . Do a number of different searches and you will find although not in the obvious places from memory.From my previous career some engines are more suseptable to b/end failure than others and occures mostly on highly stressed engines [turbo/high load]on engines that were not designed to be pushed to that level. This of course arises well b4 you expect eg low hrs/mileage.The diahatsu engine [only from what i have read] runs 14psi boost.I personally would think this is to high considering engine runs no intercooler. As toyota owns diahatsu i personally expect the engine to last a long time[toyota produce many t/diesel eng]On the topic of o/heating all engines are sensitive to coolant loss and there fore engine damage . I would suggest the fitting of a temp operated alarm or fuel cut off as done on heavy earthmoving equipment.Overheating is the biggest killer of engines PERIOD!!!!!!! Overheating severly shortens the life of eng parts particularly if it causes cracked heads etc . What about the rings??If a over heating is caught early enough you will have no problem. PS buy yourself a radiator pressure tester and pressure test cooling system at every service to makers spec .Basic mower maintenance still applies ,keep the radiator clean etc etc . any questions please post thanks tomo

http://www.yanase-sanki.co.jp/snow/index.html

http://www.hafog.dk/data/files/11DAIHATSU3cyl950D_31hp_spareparts.pdf

http://www.husqvarna.fr/node2183.asp?print=On&cid=151&pid=89

The little engine gets around....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 03:29:33 AM by Doug »