Author Topic: NEWBIE INTRODUCTION  (Read 5527 times)

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
NEWBIE INTRODUCTION
« on: February 17, 2008, 11:02:49 PM »
Howdy ya'all from sunny Bagdad....................................................................Az............

I just figured that I'd jump in here and introduce myself.  I'm an equiptment operator for Phelps/Dodge (now it's really Freeport McMoran)......   I live out in the middle of nowhere and totally off the GRID.  I bought my 5 acre parcel and a 1940 Mine house about a year ago.  I did inherit a small solar setup and a Chinese Diesel and a Winco 8kw generator.  The Diesel was produce in 1980 and carries the brand name of Dungfong, but like everything else it's an identical clone to the Changfa.  Shortly after moving in the new place the Diesel progressively (as in quick) lost it's compression to the point that for a while it only fired up on starting fluid.  Currently it's scattered in pieces getting ready for me to order parts this comming week. 

Now, in the middle of all this, I picked up another absolutely identical set up for the price of FREE, just get it out of here.  COOL, I figured I'd have a good parts machine that hasn't been run in at least ten years.  I couldn't resist the temptation to try and start it, just for the fun of it.  I swapped over my exhaust system, bought in a couple of batteries and my 55 gallon barrel that I have been using for a fuel tank.  I bled the fuel lines and went to turning it over with the starter, It managed to crank about a half dozen revolution's and actually FIRED and RAN.  Good compression, very smooth, makes a lot of noise and charges as it should.  What a deal huh?

Just ordered the parts from George Breckinridge to add the radiator and oil pressure stuff.
I'm expecting to learn a lot more from all of you, especially in the types of fuels to use.  You are all just stuck with me for the duration.....:):):) ::)
Dung-fong #1 - Mfg. Date 1980/8kw Winco gen...In pieces
Dung-fong #2 - Mfg. Date also 1980/8kw Winco gen...runs
      totally awesome after 10+ years of sitting.
1987 Ford F350, crewcab, dually 4X4.....Cummins Powered...
1956 Willy's all-a-round great four wheeler, VERY CUSTOM....

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: NEWBIE INTRODUCTION
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:09:07 PM »
Welcome to the board.

And you have my deapest sympathy about the loss of Phelps, another famous historic company gobled up in the name obscene profit.

Keep us posted on the rebuild 
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:42:09 PM »
Free port hasn't really changed much so far, in fact they just gave us (i've been there 2.5 years) a $6000 profit sharing check.  Of course our always faithful govt. taxes this at a measely 46%.  They also needed much more housing in our little mining town because of an almost 3 year waiting list, so they offered us $17,500 to give up our $250 per month company house.  Since we are already moved to the property and were basically using the co. house for storage, we thought this was wonderful.  Of course, another 46% tax rate.  We live about 9 miles out of Bagdad.........................Az where nothing is except for less than a dozen families.  Bagdad is strickly a company town, with one grocery store, couple of restaurants and two gas stations, one of the company owned.

I remember when Phelps/Dodge bought out Cypress/Bagdad.  Everybody thought it was to be a disaster.  Ended up not too bad.

As for the rebuild, school IS in session.  I've got to get a stripped head stud broken loose somehow and also have to change the cylinder liner.  Other than those and a piston, rings and a bunch of assorted stuff, should go rather well.  At least I've got a backup.

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 11:44:01 PM »
I did forget to mention that both of the Dungfong's are 195's

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 01:54:27 AM »
Welcome to the land of Changfa. I spent a few years down in Arizona with the USAF at Gila Bend, Tucson and Phoenix. I took a one year break from the Air Force back in 75-76 and worked for Anamax Copper Mine as a top watch in the power plant. I do love the desert down there. Some day I may actually retire and I'll head south again. I'll bring my Changfa with me but I'll be investing in some serious solar cells. Your going to enjoy it here. This has to be the largest group of power generation people on the planet and they know their stuff. This is old school with a heavy helping of high tech in all the right places. I learn something new here everyday.

John 
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 05:19:00 AM »
Backroad I'm not too far from you.

I was just at the Phelps/Dodge mine two months ago for a service call (I'm a mechanic for a rental company) welcome to the forum!

Your right about the desert, I was not very interested in alternative energy, diesel engines, bio-diesel, solar panels, and deep-cycle batteries until I moved to Arizona. 
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

BACKROAD

• BAGDAD.......AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:45:54 AM »
Ya know, It's amazing just how small this world gets sometimes.

I've always like the desert, especially the high desert areas like this.  I'll be able to retire in about 5 years, if I choose, and I'm staying right where I'm at.  My little 5 acre's backs state and BLM land, all my mesquite firewood is available within a couple of minutes, hunting and 4 wheeling is plentiful.  My little diesels can make all the noise they want and the neighbors don't give a rat's petutie.  Life is good. ::)

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »
Ya know, It's amazing just how small this world gets sometimes.

I've always like the desert, especially the high desert areas like this.  I'll be able to retire in about 5 years, if I choose, and I'm staying right where I'm at.  My little 5 acre's backs state and BLM land, all my mesquite firewood is available within a couple of minutes, hunting and 4 wheeling is plentiful.  My little diesels can make all the noise they want and the neighbors don't give a rat's petutie.  Life is good. ::)

I have at least an acre between my closest neighbors. When I asked if my generator bothered them they said what generator. After I explained, the lady said Oh yes I heard it when I was way out near the fence, I thought it was a lawn mower. After an explanation they came over to listen to it and they said how nice it sounded. The husband asked if there was any way I could point the exhaust their direction so they could hear it better. They are planning to buy one of their own soon LOL.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007