Author Topic: Reuse head gasket ??  (Read 23445 times)

contaucreek

• View Profile
Reuse head gasket ??
« on: February 16, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »
Hi guys, is it possible to reuse the stock head gasket on my Lister 6 ? I want to do a complete head workover incl injector and valve seating but dont know about using the gasket again. Anyone ever down this road and can advise ?? Thanks !!  Paul.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Stan

Re: Reuse head gasket ??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »
That depends!  What kind of gasket is it?  Copper?  What sort of shape is it in?

Normally I don't reuse head gaskets.  The reason is that it's too much trouble and time to "try it" and see if it will leak.  On a Lister, that's not the case.  You can take your head off and put it back on in less than an hour so I'd say try it and see,  if it's in good shape.  It's pretty simple on a Lister to tell if it's leaking or not, look, listen & feel etc.

The guy in S.E. Asia is pretty fast getting them out to you and they look to be good gaskets and aren't too pricey. 

YMMV
Stan

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 07:45:19 PM »
Hi Stan. I will be able to answer your questions soon. We just bought a house with a garage so I will be able to get my engine from storage and start work on it. My Honey brought me back Whitworth sockets from the UK last fall !!

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 08:19:14 PM »
She is a keeper
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 08:59:26 PM »
Her Cousins hubby is a mechanic and he even had a hard time rounding up "odds and ends" to get me a set. She was worried about luggage/customs etc so they wired them all together  and she was going to wear them as jewelery if req'd LOL. She has a set of Whitworth wrenches on order for me as a late xmas present too.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 03:25:59 AM »
Getting back to the original question, I often use the same gasket over again. You can buy a spray can of Copper-coat at Napa. I clean off the old gasket good with brake clean and sometimes use a fine emery cloth in places. Then spray both sides with copper coat, let dry. and they look like brand new. Havent had a problem yet .

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 10:59:41 AM »
I have used the same gasket 4 or 5 times now.I clean it up and spray it with aluminium paint.Works good.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 03:42:09 PM »
Great info guys thanks !!

Stan

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 08:26:28 PM »
Lend....I have heard of using aluminum paint (I don't care how you pronounce it) what the heck is it?  Do you have a manufacturer, model, brand etc?
Stan

craig c

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 11:57:53 PM »
Hi , Just use VHT copper gasket cement in spray can , part number SP-21 , just spray gasket with a light coat of it and let dry and fit gasket , CraigC

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 08:22:12 PM »
Just the cheapest aluminium (aluminum) spray paint i can find.Or use what Shadow or Craig use.I was using aluminium anti-seize spray until it ran out.

Eadie McCreadie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 10:46:13 AM »
The last couple of times that I've had the head off and replaced the gasket, I have applied silicone sealant around the gasket - and no leaks.

This time around the head leaks.  ::)
6/1 oid.

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 12:54:04 PM »
Hi Stan. I will be able to answer your questions soon. We just bought a house with a garage so I will be able to get my engine from storage and start work on it. My Honey brought me back Whitworth sockets from the UK last fall !!

If any of u guy's are interested I have a vintage Britool Whitworth socket set from back in the day !!  It's a pro mechanics type set in a metal box. All complete , has seen some use but all good. Actually , I have 2 identical sets but I'm keeping 1 for myself !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 05:24:28 PM »
Britool is one of the best quality tool manufacturer/supplier.  My large set of sockets A/F, metric, Whit. cost me 70 quid at a farm sale, many moons ago.  I have twisted cheap socket extentions, broken cheap sockets, and generally thrown away most of the cheap tools I have ever purchased.  Not so the Britools, they are superb quality.

Head Gaskets for a CS - always have a spare handy.  You may need it.

Paul, BTW, the last set of tools I bought were from Canada.  So much cheaper than the UK.

Regards, RAB

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Aluminum paint is your friend
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 07:09:27 AM »
I have used aluminum paint on head gaskets quite often with good results.  I use it on the flat copper disc head gasket in my Petter PJ-1 because I cannot find a new head gasket for this engine and also on the DIY copper gaskets I make that go between the injector and the head.  I even used it on the pressed metal head gaskets from a SB Chevy engine when I had no parts suppliers within range.  It worked!

I have used spray can paint as well as brush type.

-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion