Puppeteer

Author Topic: Cooling a Listeroid---  (Read 12223 times)

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
Re: Cooling a Listeroid---
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 05:10:02 AM »
Lots of modern diesel engines have wet liners with O rings. All have pressure caps on the radiator. 8)
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

quinnf

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 05:35:46 AM »
True, but the part that concerns me is that the cylinder appears not to be pressed tightly into place.  When I tore my engine apart, I could grab the cylinder skirt and wiggle it around.  Could push upward and get the flange to stand 1/8" proud of the cylinder casting.  It felt like it was suspended on large diameter squishy rubber rings.  Given that these engines aren't usually (ever?)  run pressurized in India, I'd proceed with caution. 

Quinn

WWIProps

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2005, 03:16:21 AM »
200 hours at 5-10psi with no adverse affects so far.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2005, 06:00:30 AM »
While on the topic of cooling, I could use some advice.

I need to hook up my radiator- thermosiphon system in the newly built generator shed and am concerned about the 14 psi radiator cap blowing out the cylinder seal.  For all testing to date the engine has never gotten hot enough to open the thermostat, even when (briefly) load testing the ST generator head. 

Do I need to modify (butcher the spring) the radiator cap to reduce pressure or am I OK with the 14 psi cap? 

Any problems with mounting my big horizontal flow radiator rotated 90 degrees so it becomes vertical flow and the raditor cap is on the upper corner instead of the top? (Expansion tank mounted above the radiator.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Bruce McCreary
Snowflake, AZ
Metro Lister 6/1, vintage 2000 aged in the crate.

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2005, 02:36:52 PM »
Hi Bruce,
I’m in the early stages of setting up a 6/1-ST5 and it sounds as if we are dealing with a lot of the same components and questions.  I’ve collected a lot of parts and am now in the process of putting them together.
   I have Chevy radiator that I plan to rotate 90* …the cap stays on top in a corner…the drain stays at the bottom corner and the tubes run vertical…the world is rosy and beautiful….  I was planning on removing the spring on the cap so the system would not build pressure.  After reading the posts on cooling and some of the pressures that have been run I am going to see if I can find a radiator cap in the 7-8 pound range. I know they were available at one time ….I’ll check around. This would take care of a number of different problems.
 I bought a thermostat and antifreeze intended for the 6/1 project (Small Block Chevy 195*) but could not find them anywhere in the shop.  Turns out when my oldest son was home from school on Thanksgiving break he decided to give the cooling system on his Silverado a once over... since all the parts he needed were just sitting on a shelf looking lonely….. ::) 

Joe

Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2005, 04:25:00 PM »
Radiator caps:

http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=204&location_id=179

Found this without too much of a problem...mmmmmm....choices in 4 lbs 7lbs 10 lbs ranges.....

I looked on ebay also...lots of tractor and collector radiator caps there....looks like over the years I've deep sixed about $1,000 worth of high valued caps...junk then ...gold now....

Joe

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2005, 05:32:19 PM »
Thanks Joe, I'll go with the lowest pressure Stant cap I can find!
(Better safe than sorry.)  I have a large radiator, so presently don't have a fan planned (little/no power when pumping air for the shop), just going to mount the radiator outside and see how it goes.  I would have liked to use a cast iron radiator, but there's none of them here in AZ.

Where/what are you using for a radiator overflow reservoir?  I found a plastic one at NAPA, but that won't hold up outside here.  What's your plan?

Since we are at the same stage of things:  Have you figured out an auto shutdown mechanism?
I'd like to have shut down on over-temp and low oil at least. Later maybe add vibration and sound, since the shed is over a hill from the house site and I won't be able to hear it.  Had been thinking about a thermal switch epoxy steel'ed to the water outlet pipe stub, actuating a solenoid controlled air cylinder to push off the fuel.  Low oil seems tricky because of the splash lube.  Vibration- maybe a couple mercury type switches.

Anyone solved the auto shutdown situation or some good ideas???

Bruce

« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 05:42:09 PM by BruceM »

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2005, 05:45:46 PM »
Check out Murphy float switches, they are made for sump oil level and jacket water level.
http://www.fwmurphy.co.uk/products/fluid_level/fluid_level.htm
While on thier site, check out the engine control panels, etc. Then DYI as much as you like ;D
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2005, 06:54:43 PM »
Murphy has some very nice engine controls. Thanks Scott!

They also have a rack puller that would be sweet for auto shut down:
http://www.fwmurphy.co.uk/products/engine_controls/engmot_rp75.htm
It's a 12v solenoid which releases a spring to pull the fuel rack closed.

I'll have to give them a call Monday and see what the prices are like and will report back here.

Bruce

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2005, 10:00:32 PM »
Bruce,
For the overflow container I have one that will be as functional as it is colorful. A 5-liter all aluminum tank with a vent on top and a drain on the bottom…commonly found around these parts in a grocery store. Looks like a giant beer can because that is exactly what it is.  It’s a soon to be emptied Molson mini keg… ;D
I have yet to delve into the area of automatic shutdown. I’m trying to keep this project as simple as possible.   That written by a guy who has digital controls on his wood stove…I just couldn’t help it…it was so easy… ;D

Joe

n2toh

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2005, 10:23:28 PM »
Bruce,
For the overflow container I have one that will be as functional as it is colorful. A 5-liter all aluminum tank with a vent on top and a drain on the bottom…commonly found around these parts in a grocery store. Looks like a giant beer can because that is exactly what it is.  It’s a soon to be emptied Molson mini keg… ;D
I have yet to delve into the area of automatic shutdown. I’m trying to keep this project as simple as possible.   That written by a guy who has digital controls on his wood stove…I just couldn’t help it…it was so easy… ;D

Joe

Ok I have to ask can you please post pics of the stove?

Also is 270*F too hot for the coolent temp? I'd like the use the heat to run an absorption cooling systems.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 06:52:25 AM by n2toh »
About 60 years is all it takes to make science fiction a reality.

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2005, 10:43:46 PM »
Bruce,
Both the Stant 10308 (4#) and the 10328 (7#) radiator caps seem to be readily available. However, the 4# cap is not listed as used on a radiator overflow reservoir. Which could mean it is a one way cap that will not allow fluid back into the radiator.  Another question arises… the 6/1’s were not envisioned with a pressurized cooling system …I wonder what the capability is for vacuum when things cool down?

Joe

GerryH

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2006, 09:18:35 PM »
Hi All,
I am in the stage of figuring out cooling, and have given up hope of finding a cast iron radiator. I have decided to mount a small rad on the engine skid similar to what George B did in his pics. What experiences have people had on this and how does vibration effect it?
BTW, George told me to run a pressure cap.

Gerry

al riley

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2006, 05:51:05 AM »
many years ago i looked at absorption systems to operate with heat from a waste oil boiler i could not figure out how to make a small enough system 7 or 8 ton to be worth the trouble. the facility that i worked in had 250 ton trane lithium bromide systems installed in 1966 and i believe that they are still working. they ran on 7 to 35 psi of steam with a cascade system of spence regulators. i'm still interested in a small system if you can figure one out.