Author Topic: Lister Substitute Belarus  (Read 12606 times)

eddif

• View Profile
Lister Substitute Belarus
« on: February 03, 2008, 07:31:59 PM »
Some sort of diesel bug bit me about 4 years ago, and the infection is not over yet. I got into the Isuzu diesel pickup  (PUP) ownership and have been driving one 3 years.   I wanted a 12/2 but it is  hard to justify $3,000 delivered. After doing all sorts of reading about Listers, I stumbled on a cheap industrial 2 cyl air cooled Russian Belarus diesel  equipped with a dual disk hand clutch. I repaired  the starter drive and it seems to run fine.  Supposed to be about 30 HP but that is all I know.  Just on the chance someone knows where I can find out Belarus information, I am posting here.

Now I can get serious about a 6/1 and have enough HP in the Belarus to generate more watts when needed.  I am interested in seeing a 6/1 in operation. I live in Mississippi. I have enjoyed the posts while I waited for membership here.  If anyone has a cracked or junk 6/1 head and piston I am interested.  I want to cut one open to check casting thickness, and try my hand at some machine work ( if it is thick enough).
Thanks
Ed

sid

• View Profile
Re: Lister Substitute Belarus
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:20:11 PM »
Eddif/// they use to have a pretty good engine show in Laurel miss,never can tell what will show up// had 2 show up at the portland engine show last may// also the Laurel show has a pretty good anvil shoot...we will see if our friends north of the border knows what is an anvil shoot///sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 09:32:45 PM »
Give me some Aluminum power, Coke, Amex and diesel fuel and I'll show you yanks how to turn an anvil into Iron pellets high in the stratospher.....

Seriously, no.....

I don't know how  to do that and, it would be illegal and foolish ( gigle )
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 02:49:11 AM »
Are you sure you don't have black helicopters circling your house Doug?
Stan

lgsracer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 05:12:36 AM »
Probably came off a Belarus 250AS tractor no longer in production.

Belarus 250AS

General tractor information:

Manufacturer:   Belarus

Model:   250AS

Type:   Farm/Agricultural tractor

Years produced:   1979 - 1987

Total built:   

Factory:   Minsk, Belarus

Original price:   8000 (1987)

Tractor power:

Engine:   31 hp [23.1 kW]

Drawbar (rated):   22 hp [16.4 kW]

PTO (rated):   24 hp [17.9 kW]

Engine:

Manufacturer:   Belarus

Fuel:   diesel

Cylinders:   2

Bore/Stroke:   4.13x4.72 inches [105 x 120 mm]

Displacement:   127 ci [2.1 L]

Compression:   16:1

Rated RPMs:   

Cooling:   

Torque:   

Firing order:   

Transmission:

Type:   sliding gear

Forward:   8

Reverse:   6

websites:

http://www.belarusguide.com/industry1/MTZ.htm

http://www.tractors.com.by/mtw/index12-e.htm

Stan

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 05:43:05 PM »
Lots of smaller Belarus 4wdr tractors were being used for yard work up in the Peace country in the 70's and 80's when I farmed there.  Engines were good but if you wanted parts you might as well have machined them yourself.  Parts were hard to find.
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:18:42 PM »
Very common in northern-eastern Eroupe ( places like Finland ).

Where parts are available they are a respected brand because they are typicaly Soviet in simplicity and easy of repair combined, reasonably well thought out design. Good cold starters ( obviously ).

Most Soviet machinery had piss poor dealer/factory suport the owners/operators were expected to fix them.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 01:45:09 AM »
Sid,
  I'm dying to know - what's an anvil shoot.  Is the anvil the target or the projectile? Was this invented 'cause you couldn't get beer on Sunday? ;D
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

Stan

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 01:48:16 AM »
You need a helmet and steel toe boots  ;)
Stan

"The rules are simple: shooters' anvils must be made of steel, weigh at least 100 pounds and no more than 2 pounds of black powder can be used to send that thing soaring. Two classes exist, those who shoot Traditional and those who shoot Super Modified. In the Traditional class, shooters use real, antique anvils. At the base of every anvil there is a hollow spot, where powder and a 90-second cannon fuse are packed. Then a second anvil is placed on top of the first. Once the fuse is ignited, the shooter has to haul ass to make it out of the 300-foot danger zone. "The first time I shot it went about two feet high," Mulloy admits. While anvils shot the traditional way now reach heights up to 100 feet, for some that just wasn't high enough -- hence the humble beginnings of the Super-Modified category. Not only can shooters in this class smith their own specialty anvils, but they are shot from heavy base plates that enhance height and accuracy.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:50:46 AM by Stan »

eddif

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 01:55:11 AM »
Thanks for the information. Keep it coming.  Once I got the thing primed and started, it starts with one grunt. A cylinder fires and off it goes no extra spin whatever.  It has been warm ( 60 F), but it shows signs of working colder.   It had an aftermarket delco starter so I was lucky.  I had no idea you could take a starter drive apart and replace rollers and springs (thanks local starter guy for the Info). If not for that information I would have had to search far and farther  for a drive.  I will probably try and run it at about 1000 RPM with a belt drive to the generator.  I have a tach somewhere.  The front v-belt pulley can be made 2" larger in diameter and not scrub anything.  That should give me enough cooling at the lower RPM ( The fan will turn faster). 

I am looking for a lister air cooled now.  The oil fields used them back in the day, and a few are still around. I want a CS, but these air cooled are sure cheaper and actually Listers ( If I can actually  buy one).

I found another Belarus I can get (not complete) To tear down and look at the combustion chamber, to see if it will run WVO.  The design of the piston matters and the fact that air cooled clearances are not able to be controlled ( heat expansion) may not let it work. At least a diesel air cooled does not chill the cylinders like a petrol engine. The VW air cooled will overheat and then freeze the cylinders on deceleration (in certain conditions).

There is a show in Jackson soon also (thanks for the tip).
Thanks
Ed

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 01:58:21 AM »
ANVIL SHOOT// I think goes back at least over 100 years/ use to be a form of celebration but has change to clubs/ I know of at least 2 clubs in the south that do it for competion and fun//it is simple/ take an anvil and put 1 lb of black powder under and see how high it will go and try to hit a target on the ground  //the anvil sits on on a flat metal base with a pipe on top of it to hold the powder/ the powder is ighited with a fuse or with a model rocket ignitor///http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-kWyJx8kTs/////just go to you tube  and there are several on there// some advice// do not bet how high it will go// you will loose and do not make the shooter mad.. he can drop it on the roof of your car../ I have seen one anvil blown in half so stay back//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Stan

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 03:53:10 AM »
It was actually originally used with 2 anvils, one sitting on top of the other one to signal that big news was coming during the civil war.  Much more fun than ringing a bell on the church steeple like most folks did in those days.  There are actually some idiots who do it the old way and have someone run up with a red hot poker and touch off the blackpowder by hand.  They must be deaf (or wear non-standard historical hearing protection) not to mention inelligable for life insurance.
Stan

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 11:13:39 AM »
BINGO!!!  I've been trying to figure out how to get my 6-1 over the fence into the back yard! ::)     Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 01:10:29 PM »
BINGO!!!  I've been trying to figure out how to get my 6-1 over the fence into the back yard! ::)     Leland

MMMM glad I am not your neighbor.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

Stan

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 03:13:11 PM »
It might be easier on everyone concerned if you planted the black powder under your fence instead of the lister.  ;D
Stan