Author Topic: What a nice man in Canada said this morning  (Read 12145 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: What a nice man in Canada said this morning
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 12:06:13 AM »
As fate would have it we have something of an expert here in things celestial.

Perhaps he could shed some light on solar activity right now????

My opinion.....
It has been close to normal this winter with some very abnormal warm spells and reduced snow pack.

Ha!

I`m experienced in designing and building extremely sensitive radio telescope apparatus, and I know how to make measurements of extremely weak radio noise from deep space out to near the edge of the known universe.  I self-taught and toiled as a SETI radioastronomer, for which one does not need a university degree to do since despite the self-interest wishes of the academic community, the secrets of the universe don`t need to see papers to reveal their secrets.

I trained to recognize what was naturally occuring radio energy coming from space and how artificially generated signals from a distant technological intelligent civilization might best be detected and identified against the natural celestial background and cacophony of human made interference.  I suppose I would more properly call myself a `space explorer`than anything else.  I know only enough about astrophysics to have an idea of what the eggheads are talking about in their related field of `exploration`because I had to learn the basics including the causes of the natural radiations in order to do SETI properly. In order to find a needle in a haystack it is necessary to know enough about the properties of hay.  I do not claim to have any physics expertise in matters of our own sun, despite once having had the experience of operating microwave solar radiotelescopes and collecting data for Mr. Ken Tapping.  I am familiar with what solar burps and farts look and sound like in a telescope radio receiver. I was even at the telescope site (March 1989) when the sun last farted with an especially energized SBD that took out electric power in Quebec from the EMP, a direct result of a massive Solar Mass Ejection launched towards Earth.  

Since it falls outside of my purview I have nothing of value to add in any discussion of long term solar heating and cooling effects on our planet.   If I could afford pay-purview, this topic would undoudedly be beyond that as well.   :D   Sorry.  

Do I personally believe that it is Man`s influence through indescriminate pollution, wholesale deforestation of the rain forest so McDonalds et al can sell hamburgers, and extremely wasteful burning of fossil fuels with no regard for the consequences is responsible for the wonky climate and melting polar caps we see now?  NO DOUBT in this man`s mind!

ONE THING IS ABSOLUTELY CLEAR.  If we are to survive as a species two of our fundamentally overriding self destructive practices must be overcome.  The greed driven industrial/business/financial model which relies on continuous growth in order for survival must be significantly tamed.  The other has to do with mass organized psychological dependance of the immaginary.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 02:28:27 AM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 12:19:58 AM »
Heh heh heh....

He said fart.....

Well There is one option left perhaps I can ask an egg head at the SNO lab if Solar activity is weaker now than in the recent past.

The Neutrino detector was designed to trap sub particles from the sun.

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 12:28:32 AM »
Gordon Campbell, premier of BC has apparently entered into an alliance with Governor Arnie of California to combat global warming. Seems to me that if Premier Gordo would simply stop spouting his own hot air on the subject, the world would be a cooler place.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 12:49:11 AM »
The trouble with running around saying the ski is falling all the the time no matter how often your rong, sooner or later Tunguska

Stan

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 01:28:25 AM »
Now that would have been cool to see.  from a distance of course.  ::)
Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 02:03:58 AM »
Hmm....

Something about a bear with a Tsar in his belly....

This might give you some ideas what it would look like, and it was in living memory.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=LxD44HO8dNQ&feature=related

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 02:26:32 AM »
pine beatles?

seems i read somewhere the reason that they are out of control is because of man!

man does not like forest fires and that is precisely what kills pine beatles.

not so many years ago, forest fires happened just as they do now, the result was no more pine beatles
and the pine cones open much faster with the heat,, the result is a return of a healthier forest.

chernobyl is another example, when it went off everyone was talking about it taking 50k years for the area to come back
hmmmm, really?
20 years later everything is back, all the vegetation, all the animals, boars and red tail deer.

this planet can heal just fine left to its own devices.

god help us when man decides he can take control and fix anything

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 02:45:18 AM »
Letting the planet heal itself is sort of like not cleaning an oil spill in front of the shop door because it will soak into the concrete eventualy....

Stan

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 02:48:40 AM »
Re Pine beetle result of allowing fires to happen.

Nope, not directly.  Pine beetle larva need to have 2 straight weeks of minus 40 deg (C or F doesn't matter, they're the same) to be killed down to acceptable levels so their population won't explode.  Hasn't happened for several years.  There's almost half a million acres killed, something like 2/3 of the marketable pine forests in BC.  It's visible from the moon.  I don't know how they know that but that's what they say.  It's going to devastate BC's largest industry in a few years.  Even if timber is available, it'll be too hard and expensive to get.  It's one thing to log prime, first growth Sitka Spruce by helicopter, but pine?  Not likely.

No doubt it's global warming responsible.
stan

Bob, Yup the animals are back in Russion near Chernobyl but they all have 2 heads and 3 testicles, even the females.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 02:53:37 AM by Stan »

atimperson

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
Maybe we should return to florucarbon spray cans , that would cool the earth down in the short term.

Tim

Stan

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 03:57:39 PM »
I think that we, as humans should look at our record in attempting to mess about with ecological problems, which in every case I remember ended up in disasterous consequences.  I know you are being sarcastic Tim, but many people actually think we are smart enough to screw about with the environment and get away with it.  The latest one is dumping tons and tons of iron filings into the ocean to stimulate phytoplankton growth.  People will never learn. 

Mother nature's rule #1.  When you are messing about with her don't bother keeping a close watch on what might happen in the future, because something else will sneak up and bite you on the ass when you least expect it.

Stan

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 04:03:15 PM »
now it's obvious that we should not be dumping chemicals in the waters or over using fertilzers etc ect but the fact that Al Gore & Arnie are involved alone speaks volumes about what is probably behind the global warming conspiracy. If you look back over the last 150 years in the news papers you will see a pattern that emerges. every 25 to 30 years the papers & magazines claim either warming or cooling of the earth. The truth is that man is so arrogant as to believe that we could cause the planet  to over heat or over cool is ludicrous. we are only specks in the great cosmos & this palnet will go on long after we have obliterated ourselves by what ever means.
The fact is that anyone claiming they have some evidence that does not "jive" with the global wariming thoerys are called names, have thier funding yanked, fired or worse.
If global warming is real, why are the GW nuts so viemently opposed to any contadictory evidence. its because it has taken so long for them to work thier way into the "main stream" that they cant afford real science to screw up thier "touchy feely" science. scott r.
   P.S. kyoto is crap, it means nothing if the U.S. & Canada reduce thier pollution if every body else (China & India) can & will polute as much as they wish.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

CD in BC

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 06:52:15 PM »
If the planet is getting warmer, why are the polar ice caps melting?  Not to mention all the glaciers...

There are two kinds of people: those who see what they believe, and those who believe what they see.

Stan

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »
You must mean "isn't" getting warmer.
Stan

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 10:49:19 PM »
Feb 26: more grist for the mill
Temperature Monitors Report Widescale Global Cooling

http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature+Monitors+Report+Worldwide+Global+Cooling/article10866.htm

China has its coldest winter in 100 years. Baghdad sees its first snow in all recorded history. North America has the most snowcover in 50 years, with places like Wisconsin the highest since record-keeping began. Record levels of Antarctic sea ice, record cold in Minnesota, Texas, Florida, Mexico, Australia, Iran, Greece, South Africa, Greenland, Argentina, Chile -- the list goes on and on.

Looks like the Sun has  NOT  cycled back up to the sunspot cycle upswing, and is stuck at a "low"
http://www.dailytech.com/Solar+Activity+Diminishes+Researchers+Predict+Another+Ice+Age/article10630.htm
 buy your fur coats now.
   Anyone ever read a Sci-Fi story - A bucket of Air ?