Author Topic: TRB Main Bearings in 1949  (Read 4024 times)

listerdiesel

TRB Main Bearings in 1949
« on: February 01, 2008, 08:49:06 AM »
Looking for something else in the American Diesel Engine Catalog this morning, I came across the Atlas Imperial pages, and noticed that they also sold Lorimar engines as well as their own.

At the back of the section,  there is a Lorimar "Sturdy Scot" single-cylinder diesel with Timken taper roller main bearings.

Goes to show....

Note that parallel roller main bearings were in use much earlier that that, probably 1930's.

Peter

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TRB Main Bearings in 1949
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:44:17 PM »
i know that cushman engine's (gasoline) used timken tapered roller brgs as early as 1938 that i know of, maybe much earlier than that

because i had a '38 engine once

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 12:45:07 AM »
Interesting about the Timken tapered roller bearings. Yesterday I helped set up a differential for a 48 Dodge passenger car. The axle shafts , cold must have about .003 end play to allow for expansion when the unit is hot.  I wonder how well the main bearings coped with expansion of the crankshaft  in the diesel engine. The set up would have to be pretty much by the book otherwise it would turn the bearings blue.

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 07:20:14 PM »
I have a suspicion that they probably relay on crankcase expansion as well. I cannot see any Indian engines being set up 'properly' for maximum bearing life, as it would take too long with the wide variety of tolerances on the machined parts.

Given that most of the crankcase is going to be CI and a steel crankshaft (I hope!) then the expansion rates are all much of a muchness, so it should be fairly simple to set it up within a though or two with gaskets, but it doesn't take into account bedding-in looseness and wear clearances.

The Lister crankcase is pretty rigid and would maintain good stability, but nearly all long-lived engines are fitted with plain bearings of some type or other, with notable exceptions for specific reasons. Little tiddler engines like the Villiers and Suffolk Punch lawn-mower engines are plain big-ends and ball bearing mains. JAP engines had similar arrangements on the industrial side.

Unusually, the early Petter engines had ball and roller bearings, even up to the larger atomic two-stroke diesels.

Peter