Author Topic: where is everybody from?  (Read 64892 times)

lendusaquid

• View Profile
Re: where is everybody from?
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
I live on a small island off the coast of Europe called England. Its not in America so you wont find it on a map. ;D

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2008, 02:21:32 PM »
C'mon Lendusaquid, they do speak (a version) of OUR language over there.  I live on the same island as you, bit further north in Lincolnshire (just). 

I presume you are addressing the older generations when you refer to 'finding' it on a map.  I perceive that most of the younger generation rely on multimap, or similar, to find 'anywhere' for them and still would still not be sure where it was in relation to their point of contact with this earth.

There, that should draw a comment or two!

Regards, RAB

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
England huh?

well if i was president and as soon as i got done with iraq, i would scoot on over their and make you all the 52nd state!!
(iraq would be the 51st)

lmao :)

then we could find ya on the map!

too funny

bob g

otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2008, 04:12:09 PM »
I live on a small island off the coast of Europe called England. Its not in America so you wont find it on a map. ;D

MMM that sounds familiar ... OH YES, you are the guys we owe some tea tax to aren't you?
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2008, 04:21:47 PM »
You mean Canada is no longer in line for 51st state ?  Hell, we have more oil than Iraq, and the locals are almost as friendly. You said so yourself, Bob.   Thinking of small islands in the Atlantic, some of my ancestors were from Skye and more from the west of Ireland. We have been driven continually westward ever since my great grand dads were bumped out of the nest. Since Vancouver Island is on Canada's west coast, I am not sure where to go next. I do have some distant cousins on Guam.

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2008, 05:56:50 PM »
You mean Canada is no longer in line for 51st state ?  Hell, we have more oil than Iraq, and the locals are almost as friendly. You said so yourself, Bob.   Thinking of small islands in the Atlantic, some of my ancestors were from Skye and more from the west of Ireland. We have been driven continually westward ever since my great grand dads were bumped out of the nest. Since Vancouver Island is on Canada's west coast, I am not sure where to go next. I do have some distant cousins on Guam.

Shhhh!! Don't tell them that! It's a secret... ;)
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2008, 02:06:14 AM »
  911 was pretty reveling. Dozens of planes loaded with Americans were diverted to Gander Newfoundland Canada. The Americans were paniced and had new clue where on earth they were.
    An atlas turned to the east coast of North America was nailed to the wall in the airport with a sign "you are here".

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2008, 03:26:02 AM »
I recall doing my best to be amusing once upon a time when asked for directions, I said, "You can't get there from here." (knowing full well that it was and is a pretty tired line.)

The young fellow who had a delivery to make was almost in tears.  "What am I going to do?" he asked. 

aerobat

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2008, 01:35:54 AM »
Kennebunk Maine USA checking in....
Metro 12/2 with 10kw ST head,  Petter AC-1

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2008, 03:55:49 AM »
I live 6 miles from Real Goods in Hopland, CA
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2008, 04:12:10 AM »
Bella Vista Arkansas.  Our mountaintop off grid paradise  is in (very) rural McCurtain Oklahoma.  Would somebody out there please come and buy this house so I can move down to the farm?
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2008, 05:09:36 AM »
buickanddeere,

I was one of those diverted to Gander on 911….the hospitality was absolutely astounding.  There were thousands of people who arrived within hours to an airport that was accustomed to seeing hundreds of people. 

The emergency action plan implemented was good and it worked. The out pouring of help, food and accommodations from the community was incredible. We were on a military charter aircraft with a fair amount room and mobility. We spent almost the first day on board unable to leave and with no visuals on what had happened stateside…only radio info...it would take a while to process all the people off the 30 to 40 aircraft. Next to us on the tarmac was a packed 747…lots of people… 30 or so small children… no diapers…. toilets full….no contact with loved ones….no information….some people lost it. They weren’t in a foreign country they were in a foreign world.

On the international flights many people did not speak English and communication/understanding sketchy at best…was very difficult….rumors ran rampant.

After we left the aircraft we went to a Church where parishioners brought us bedding and pillows from their homes.  I had the first moose chili in my life.   Finally on the morning of the 13th we saw video of what had happened…

I’d been to Gander for a site survey in the early 90’s and I’ll be back there again someday as a civilian…but nothing will ever be like the experience I had that September…

I'm in NY, just south of Niagara Falls...where Lake Erie dumps all the snow... 

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2008, 08:30:38 AM »
Bella Vista Arkansas.  Our mountaintop off grid paradise  is in (very) rural McCurtain Oklahoma.  Would somebody out there please come and buy this house so I can move down to the farm?
Zeke

Drop me an email, how much
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2008, 01:42:11 PM »
Newfoundlanders are one of our greatest natural resources

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2008, 10:23:33 PM »
Newfoundlanders are one of our greatest natural resources

What do you do with them?