Author Topic: Priorities  (Read 17355 times)

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
Re: Priorities
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 01:43:29 PM »
uh Sid....who's the bully here?
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 02:36:20 PM »
I would say 9/11 would be a good start, or the 747 that blew up over scotland or the bombs that detroyed the trains in england and spain, night club bombing in germany or just pick one/there are plenty of examples/ sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 02:49:50 PM »
Pretty sure the 747 over Lockerbie was Khadaffi from Libya - not Iraq
The 7/7 London appears to have been home-grown moslem terrorists if the official story is to be believed.
The trains in Spain could have been anyone, home grown, basques, imports.  They did catch some people
I don't remember the night club bombing that well.

The problem with going after these nebulous "terrorists" is that you never know who is one.  For the alleged bombers in the UK they were born and bred there.  You can't fight that with wars, you have to get rid of the mullahs that rile these twits up into some sort of religious fervor and send them out to do harm.

All we seem to be good at lately is pissing off people to the point where they are lining up to strap on their bomb vests.

There's a bunch of ways of looking at this I guess.

Kill 'em all and let God sort them out    or

Leave them to their own devices and let their own stupidity bring them down.

One requires a high cost to this country in lives and money, the other doesn't.

I don't know which one will be more effective in the long term.  I know which one will effectively bankrupt this country.

RC

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 02:56:41 PM »
I will have to agree//which route is best.. as long as they keep it in their own country / they can do anything they want..sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 04:42:18 PM »
ok lets take a look at it from the dirty angle

that being oil as the only issue,(which i maintain it certainly is not)

it is a factor but not the only one

but from the oil viewpoint:

one in this country only has to see what happens when the lights go out for a 24 hour period,
you don't get gas, no power to pump it

no gas and folks get crazy very quickly,, this being on a very local scale

now destabilize the middle east, and disrupt the oil flow
cut out 50% of our oil supply and see what happens

very quickly there will be shortages then no fuel
very soon there after the food distribution will come to a halt
a few days after that we have anarchy!

to say nothing of loss of jobs and other problems

like it or not, we as a nation have to have oil and jillons of gallons of it in a timely manner
each and every day.. that is reality

i don't like our dependance on it any better than the next guy, but that is reality
we can point fingers at big oil and scream all we want, but that is not going to fix a damn thing.

big oil needs to make huge profits, if for no other reason that satisfying their investors,,
investors that include some very rich folks but mostly are working stiff's who's retirment funds have stocks in them as well.

its just not a simple problem, it is much like the hydra of mythology
cut off one head and two grow back.

as for GW being the worst president in history,,, ya right
may not be the best but certainly  not the worst!
i can think of at least two others in my lifetime that would give him a run for that position.

jimmy carter for one,, 21% prime rate, iran hostage crisis
johnson and his escalation of the viet nam war, oh yes and there was a draft
Bubba,, do i really have to go there? i could type for days on that bozo

maybe some of you leftwing folks will get your wish, and hillary will make it all go away?

i ain't holdin my breath ::)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 05:32:56 PM »
We are doing precious little towards conservation and energy independence in this country.  Sure the CAFE requirements have been changed and they are required to meet the demands sometime in 2020 or something.  Big whoop.

The time to be setting better CAFE requirements was 10-15 years ago.  When the disruptions start, it's not going to be pretty.

As for Hillary.. I don't want her in the whitehouse, she's as bad as all of them.  I want someone who will stay out of my business, let me get on with my life as long as it doesn't hurt someone else, someone who understands why this economy is on a nose dive to shitsville.  There's only one...

RC

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 05:47:15 PM »
RC:

my appologies for grouping you in hillary's corner,, my bad!

my real bad!!!

we can agree on the government stayin out of our business as long as we ain't hurtin no one
and a government that does what is needed to keep us from going to hell in a handbasket.

sadly we are probably just going to get more of the same!

i have never been a huge mccain fan, but my hope is he is old enough to do what is right
and try to make a legacy that is based on turning this boat around..

be honest with ya,, i don't much like the looks of any of the folks running for president

except maybe hukabee,, because he wants to abolish the irs !!  ;D

somehow even that  probably would result in bigger problems on the personal level, but i sure would
like to give it a try... no irs? cool!!

lol
bob g

Stan

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 05:58:41 PM »
We have a saying up here north of the 49th, "hold your nose and vote".  Probably true in many countries.
Stan

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 06:14:35 PM »
Mccain is a madman (in my opinion)  I've never heard anything from him that sounded logical and thought out.  Huckabee is a reglious nutcase. 

Ron Paul is the one that wants to get rid of the IRS and the federal reserve..  he's the only true conservative in the group.  He's unfortunately not for the status quo and the main stream media is shunning him pretty badly.  He's still got a hell of a following though with people fed up with the nanny orwelian state.

No need to apologise, we are having a civil reasonable discussion, I don't take anything said personally and hope that you wouldn't either.

RC

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 07:13:55 PM »
Jeeze Bob, hard to respond to all your points. Lets try it this way:
Quote from: mobile bob

ok lets take a look at it from the dirty angle

that being oil as the only issue,(which i maintain it certainly is not)

it is a factor but not the only one
[/ quote]
I agree but I don't think that there is any valid reason for the war which benefits the American people as a whole. If you know of any , please enlighten me.
but from the oil viewpoint:

one in this country only has to see what happens when the lights go out for a 24 hour period,
you don't get gas, no power to pump it

no gas and folks get crazy very quickly,, this being on a very local scale
Again, I agree. Our society is incredibly fragile and fixing that will not be painless. But I think that it's absolutely essential that we head in that direction. Tossing away huge amounts of resources to maintain an unsustainable status quo is short sighted and stupid IMO.
now destabilize the middle east, and disrupt the oil flow
cut out 50% of our oil supply and see what happens
are you suggesting that we are a "stabilizing" influence?
very quickly there will be shortages then no fuel
very soon there after the food distribution will come to a halt
a few days after that we have anarchy!

to say nothing of loss of jobs and other problems

like it or not, we as a nation have to have oil and jillons of gallons of it in a timely manner
each and every day.. that is reality
Exactly!! and as long as we, as a nation, continue to to be as dependent on oil as we are today, we'll have imminent disaster hanging over our heads. Postponing the inevitable is not going to help. Treat the disorder, not the symptoms. The symptoms are the oil supply looks uncertain and expensive. The disorder is that we use too much.  We need to make that "reality", history. It's going to happen anyways. Sure we could continue to use our military to secure oil supplies, a least until the rest of the world decides it's had enough, but to what end?. Far wiser to use those resources (even if borrowed ;D) to reduce our dependence.
i don't like our dependance on it any better than the next guy, but that is reality
we can point fingers at big oil and scream all we want, but that is not going to fix a damn thing.

big oil needs to make huge profits, if for no other reason that satisfying their investors,,
investors that include some very rich folks but mostly are working stiff's who's retirment funds have stocks in them as well.
Yea, big oil is not at all interested in reducing consumption and as for the investors...sorry, investment is a risk. You take your chances or you don't play. If I invested in bananas and there was a revolution in the Banana Republic, should I expect the US military to bail me out?
its just not a simple problem, it is much like the hydra of mythology
cut off one head and two grow back.

as for GW being the worst president in history,,, ya right
may not be the best but certainly  not the worst!
i can think of at least two others in my lifetime that would give him a run for that position.

jimmy carter for one,, 21% prime rate, iran hostage crisis
although, he foresaw this whole oil problem. I often wonder where we'd be today if we hadn't changed course with Reganomics
johnson and his escalation of the viet nam war, oh yes and there was a draft
Bubba,, do i really have to go there? i could type for days on that bozo

maybe some of you leftwing folks will get your wish, and hillary will make it all go away?
I ain't holdin my breath Roll Eyes

bob g
Left?? I don't think so. Nor Right either if I'm expected to subscribe to the doctrine. How about "eyes wide open"
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 10:24:38 PM »
  Hillary for president.................hmmm?
  I'm not fussy for her but we already had president Clinton run the US for 8 years while her husband Slick Willy was getting lucky with interns.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 03:11:12 AM »
In hind sight I will not share my dark vissions of the future with the group and spoil what is an interesting read

But for Biobill I give you bananas.

http://www.mayaparadise.com/ufc1e.htm

And

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2bSqS-h_jB4&feature=related
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 03:22:58 AM by Doug »
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 03:38:57 AM »
in reverse order , for the purposes of confusion :)

yes i would nuke the banana republic if they cut off banana's "if" the following criteria was met

1. our cars, trucks, powerplants, railroads and power production burned banana's instead of oil!

2. the banana dictator was terrorizing, raping, and killing millions of innocent people

3. he was harboring banana terrorists

4. he was working on a banana bomb

5. if some of his associates tried to fly a banana into a building here in the states, (actually even if i thought he was)

but sadly we ain't talking about banana's

speaking of ron reagan and the hostage's

he didn't sell anyone even a slingshot, they turned the hostages back over to us
because they were afraid of what a real president might do!

yes he did bankrupt the soviets by escalating the arms race, and good on him for doing so!

was he perfect? no!
was jimmy carter a bad man? no!  he was an honest man that got into office at a bad time and was well above his pay grade
and experience,, thats all.

nafta and all that:

i have no idea all the rationale behind that decision, but given the fact that the european's were getting together
it seems reasonable the north american's needed to do something in order to compete.
maybe it hasn't worked out so well?

we will always have war, bad leaders/good leaders and most somewhere inbetween.

its just the nature of man to make war, or join into one for all sorts of reasons
some of which we likely will never know all the reasons for.

i know one thing for sure,, i rather have them fought somewhere else
and look out any crackpot that thinks he is coming into this country to take it land and people.

i doubt seriously it will ever happen as such,, and if so,,, hopefully for our sakes it starts someplace like texas!
where everyone owns at least one legal weapon, and probably can pull themselves away from a trap shoot long enough
to break something more than clay pidgeons.

we have been seriously in debt before, and pulled it out just fine in short order
and i have little doubt we can do it again,,, only to go back into debt saving some other poor guys ass
when the need arrises.

in my thinking this war makes far more sense than some of the previous engagement we have been envolved in.

it ain't nice, but sometimes it is necessary

bob g

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 03:52:17 AM »
in reverse order , for the purposes of confusion :)

yes i would nuke the banana republic if they cut off banana's "if" the following criteria was met

1. our cars, trucks, powerplants, railroads and power production burned banana's instead of oil!

2. the banana dictator was terrorizing, raping, and killing millions of innocent people

3. he was harboring banana terrorists

4. he was working on a banana bomb

5. if some of his associates tried to fly a banana into a building here in the states, (actually even if i thought he was)

but sadly we ain't talking about banana's

speaking of ron reagan and the hostage's

he didn't sell anyone even a slingshot, they turned the hostages back over to us
because they were afraid of what a real president might do!

Do you have to meet all 5 or will just one do?
and if you nuke the bananas... then you have.... no....... bananas

Rony Raygun, actor turned king or just acting?
No matter he realy looked great in a suit said all the specialy sellected words to make everyone feel good and his memory was excellent.

Back to Bananas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana
and for a counter point
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Banana
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 09:21:12 AM »
This war is a crime and I think everyone who helped start it should be tried for war crimes!  Including the news networks that put the idea into the minds of 72% of the public that Saddam had planned 911.  How did that happen??  Powell goes in front of the world with cartoon drawings of imaginary weapons of mass destruction and then the U.S. military drops hundreds of tons of highly radio-active urainum (real WMD's that will kill and maim indescrimanetely for 4.5 billion years!!!  Depleted uranium is killing our own soldiers!!) on mostly inocent people!  Our leaders lied to start the war and their cronies are getting rich while most Americans are being ripped off for generations to come.  The Bush family has gotten rich off the taxpayers starting when Granpaw financed Hitler to start WW2.  This all seems insane to me but seems OK to some Americans?  Oh well.....                                                          Leland 
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!