Author Topic: '08 EPA Who's Liable Now?  (Read 3378 times)

dmp

'08 EPA Who's Liable Now?
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:25:02 AM »
There's been plenty of discussion.  I wonder if the EPA cares about this small of a "niche" market.
Do any of you worry?  These engines are still being imported and sold in the U.S.A.

Do we have any Attorneys on this site?

David

dmp

Re: '08 EPA Who's Liable Now?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 12:49:22 AM »
...threrfore have a blast.  Who cares.  Nobodys watching, nobody cares.
Mike Montieth, Scott...ya jumped ship.  Lookey here!  We're still getting engines.

Are the rest on a voyage to Alkatraz...urp?

David

SCOTT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 01:30:24 AM »
dmp
fact is that I was in contact with the EPA prior to the engine orders I placed.  Each time I called and verified that because they were stationary they were excluded from various epa regs.  The last time I called they said in jan of '07 I could not use the exemption any more.

Yes there are others who import engines, and as far as I am concerned they are taking a huge risk for little gain that I simply am not willing to take.  Listeroids are an interesting distraction from real life for me and I suspect many others here.  There is no way in Hell that I am going to risk everything I built up over the lase 15 years so I could import engines from India and make a few dollars. 

I have said it to anyone who has contacted me looking for an engine, that you can proably import one yourself and never have a problem.  The dealers will probably not have a problem eithther.  but if they ever do get caught they wont be going to alkatraz....more likely bankruptcy court.

dmp if you feel so strongly i will gladly give you Atuls contact info, order up a load and sell them you can get a good deal when ordering a container at a time.

For me It is a no brainer decision:
risk outweighs reward 3000 to 1*

Scott

*(refers to the $32000 penalty)

net metering with a 6/1 in Connecticut
12/1
6/1

dmp

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 02:47:47 AM »
Scott

Now we're talking.  It' 2008 and what i'm looking for is "brass tacks", reality.

You're versed.  Dealers selling are risking hefty fines' yet they sell.

I'm not talking Atul and me importing AN engine.  I'm talking about the many
found online who willingly sell these engines. 

Scott, I purchased a 6/1 in August.  Purchased extra parts.  I'm "fat and happy".
Never considerded importing.  I just want parts and support from my dealer.

You got out, my dealer stayed in.  I don't know why.  All I know is that my time to act
was by 1/08.  I did, i'm glad I did.

I'm not looking to this engine for power in the same way a man such as "Hotater" does.
The 6/1 is simply cool.  Something to play with.  An original Lister?, nah, I'd be too careful.

A few months before this, I purchased a 2cyl Mitsubishi Diesel.  Tier 3.

I'm OK for power right now. 

It's 2017.  I need a piston, rings, bearings etc.  I don't think any dealers will be around.
GONE..along with Geo.B and this FORUM.

Sorry to be glum,
David

SCOTT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 03:12:16 AM »
re parts

I "suggested" to everone that bought an engine from me a list of spares, usual wear items, liner rings gaskets etc. most will sit in the original wrapping unused till the owners estate is settled!   Some bought everything on the list some bought none.  If you have to buy parts from a dealer that STOCKS parts you should expect to pay alot more than 2-3x his cost.

If you think you will need still parts for your hobby engine you proabably will not.  But you can either get into a group buy or pay up to a dealer.  If you are worried the dealers won't be around...buy now while they are.

This market is so small that i dont think it even qualifies as a niche market.

Scott
net metering with a 6/1 in Connecticut
12/1
6/1

dmp

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 03:21:36 AM »
Scott

That's sound advice and judgement.

Thank You,
David