Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

Which oil? (uk based)

(1/3) > >>

sb118:
I've been reading that i should be looking for non-detergent based oils etc. I have NO idea which oils in the UK are the right thing for my engine.

Anybody know what brands i should be looking for? Could i chuck some plain 5/40 in there for 8 hours to flush out any crap which has been standing since i bought it? (only fired it up long enough to damage myself since i got it home!)

cheers

steve

hotater:
I'd bet whatever the London cabbies are feeding their long-lived diesels would be perfect for the Lister.

I switched to Chevon Delo 400 (from non detergent 30W)  not long ago and see a MUCH cleaner engine now, but consumption is up slightly over 30w.

GuyFawkes:
petrol car oils are non detergent oils.

*most* diesel oils are detergent based.

cold starting apart, once a lube oil is up to temperature its cleanliness (filtering / changing) is more important than its weight

I very much doubt you can buy a grade of oil too low a spec for a lister.

castrol agri power 15w40 is available at any farm supplier (the ordinary agri, not the plus ones) and will work fine

Agri Power
Engine oil
________________________________________________________________________________

Applications; Applications

Suitable for use in older machinery or those operating under moderate operating conditions

________________________________________________________________________________

Features / Benefits; Features / Benefits

• Good protection for agricultural engine

Specifications / Performance; Specifications / Performance

API CF-4/CF/SG
ACEA E2/B2
MB 228.1
MAN M3275

Storage; Storage

All packages should be stored under cover. Where outside storage is unavoidable drums should be laid horizontally to avoid the possible ingress of water and the obliteration of drum markings. Products should not be stored above 60°C, exposed to hot sun or freezing conditions.
; All packages should be stored under cover. Where outside storage is unavoidable drums should be laid horizontally to avoid the possible ingress of water and the obliteration of drum markings. Products should not be stored above 60°C, exposed to hot sun or freezing conditions.

;

Health, Safety and Environment; Health, Safety and Environment

Health, safety and environmental information is provided for this product in the Materials Safety Data Sheet. This gives details of potential hazards, precautions and First Aid measures, together with environmental effects and disposal of used products. ; Health, safety and environmental information is provided for this product in the Materials Safety Data Sheet. This gives details of potential hazards, precautions and First Aid measures, together with environmental effects and disposal of used products.
Castrol (UK) Ltd. or its subsidiaries will not accept liability if the product is used other than in the manner or with the precautions or for the purpose/s specified. Before the product is used other than as directed, advice should be obtained from the local Castrol office.; Castrol (UK) Ltd. or its subsidiaries will not accept liability if the product is used other than in the manner or with the precautions or for the purpose/s specified. Before the product is used other than as directed, advice should be obtained from the local Castrol office.

Typical Characteristics ; Typical Characteristics

Test Methods; Test Methods   Units; Units   Value: ; Value:

SAE 15W-40

Density at 15ºC   ISO 3675 / ASTM D1298   g/cm3   0.885
Viscosity at 40ºC   ISO 3104 / ASTM D445   mm2/s   112
Viscosity at 100ºC   ISO 3104 / ASTM D445   mm2/s   14.7
Viscosity Index   ISO 2909 / ASTM D2270   -   135
CCS -20ºC    ASTM D5293   mPa.s   6700
Base Number   ASTM D2896   mgKOH/g   9.7
Flash Point (COC)   ISO 2592 / ASTM D92   0C   230
Pour Point    ISO 3016 / ASTM D97   0C   -36
Sulphated Ash   ISO 3687 / ASTM D874   %m   1.3

EVguru:

--- Quote from: GuyFawkes on February 27, 2006, 02:06:27 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Where do you get this stuff?

They are 'detergent oils', diesel oil is typically 'high detergent'.

Any engine with a full flow filter is going to use a detergent oil. The purpose of the detergent is to hold contaminents in solution until they can be captured by the filter. Designs without filters relied on sludge traps where the contaminents could settle out and be removed from the flow. The down side of course is that you have to clean the traps out periodically, rather than just dumping a filter.

Read; http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/oil030319.html

A bypass filter is an even better idea, since it removes much smaller particles.

GuyFawkes:

--- Quote from: EVguru on February 27, 2006, 09:59:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: GuyFawkes on February 27, 2006, 02:06:27 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Where do you get this stuff?

--- End quote ---

perhaps I just pull it out of my ass

or perhaps I had to know the specifications of exotic and incredibly rare lube oils like SAE30 which was used in incredibly exotic and rare diesels like detroits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version