Author Topic: the genset for the day to day Use.  (Read 12707 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: the genset for the day to day Use.
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 11:28:51 PM »
Crazy carpet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cow6l8IJWuA&feature=related

Sort of a thick nylon sheet 4 feet by two feet with two holes in the for handles. You sit cross legged on it and hold the handles.
If your darring you lay on your belly.
You slide down a snowy hill, you slide like hell with no control.
If you don't have one card board will also work, better if you spray it with silicon.
Infact anything goes better down hill with silicone on it........

Tyre tubes also work well and the traditional wooden 5 seater tobogan is also a must to try  once in your life. Adults must ride down hill and or skate at least a few time, sitting next to the fire all night telling BS stories is frown upon

For maximum effect bring hot dogs, rum and or brandy, hot apple cider, marsh mellow, make a fire, invite as many kids and parrents as you can find and slide untill bed time.
Best location frighteningly steep hill near a lake so you can skate bewteen runs. Better still if lake has fish to punch some holes and set up some jigs. Lake trout should be fried ASAP, White fish smoked on site, brown beans and potato salad recommended to go with the previously mentioned fish.

Other considerations:
Sauna ( where facilities exist ) and the adults whip each other with a vihta and don't forget a roll in the snow or polar bear dip to be followed by a warm brandy at the camp fire.

If you follow these directions carefuly you can enjoy winter parties the Canadian way.

If its spring or late fall check the ice first and be safe.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 11:51:46 PM by Doug »
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 12:27:13 AM »
Sounds like you Canadians make the most of the Winter climate. In my younger years jumping off of mountain tops in a hang glider was my way of out door adventure. Never broke any bones but I can tell you how to remove cactus needles! Not sure if at my age Crazy Carpet would be a good idea but all the rest sure sounds like fun! While the world wide web has made the planet accessible to everyone youtube has made it possible for people to see the world! Gotta love it!

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 12:56:05 AM »
If you sillicone a tyre tube thats probably the fastest and smoothest ride to the bottom of a hill.

Watch for small sticks and stones not covered by snow if your bumb is smaller than the hole in the tyre tube. Probably smart to check the slope first eh?

Winter is what you make of it just like the desert I guess.

Nice thing about snow is its soft, at midle age and up its a lot less trouble than say Cactus needles....
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:58:27 AM by Doug »
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 12:58:55 AM »
I must say Doug// you really know how to have fun????????sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Stan

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 01:43:18 AM »
Come to Kimberley, BC....you can get up to 65 mph on a pair of skiis going down 3700 feet of the best ski hill in BC! (and as a matter of fact, in Canada)
Stan

btw...helmets are recommended   ;D

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 01:52:26 AM »
Crazy Carpet is a piece of plastic about 3-4 ft long that is flexible and you sit on it and go down the hill... with two handles to hold on to... it then rolls up like a carpet to make it easy to walk to the top of the hill.... they go great on icey hills and you can really go fast
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 02:38:17 AM »
Crazy Carpet is a piece of plastic about 3-4 ft long that is flexible and you sit on it and go down the hill... with two handles to hold on to... it then rolls up like a carpet to make it easy to walk to the top of the hill.... they go great on icey hills and you can really go fast
I wonder how they would work on a big sand dune? Lots of silicone spray would do it!
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 05:05:31 AM »
  The top of the Crazy Carpet you are trying to keep your backside on, is almost as slippery as the bottom of the carpet that sliding on the snow. The harder and icier the slope the better.Think Chevy Chase in the movie National Lampoun's Christmas Vacation but instead of on that round saucer, on a slick sheet of 2"X4" semi flexible plastic. With only two small hand holes/hand holds on the front.
   The toboggan is more rigid, if large enough and waxed slick enough. It will ride just fine upon reasonably light fluffy snow. Speeds fast enough to make the wind whistle in your ears are the norm. Caution if hitting bumps and starting to lean your weight to either side. Drag on that side will suddenly increase and the toboggan will turn. The result is often a brief sideways slide just prior to the entire edge of the toboggan digging into the snow. The toboggan will suddenly roll and toss all passengers and a several pounds of polished lumber into a barrel roll while in mid air. The end result can be passenger to passenger to toboggan collisions and a type of road rash while scraping to a halt upon those sharp ice crystals.  Usually at least a handful of ice/snow makes its way inside one's clothing at the same time. 
   As for may of Sudbury's and Sue Ste Marie's population, many are of Scandinavian decent. They see no sense in getting perfectly dry clothes all wet in a swimming pool or hot tube.................................................................................... ::)
   We used to play road hockey well into the winter. Funny how we never ran out of frozen road apples after the Amish and Mennonites moved into the area. We did however start to have trouble finding kids to play goal.
   Back to that Listeroid. Did the neighbors say anything about it? What are the electrical rates in your area and the price of #2 diesel? Any plans to reclaim hot domestic water from it?

sanchez

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 01:48:59 PM »
is really nice to listen talking about "frozen", "snow" and the others cold  things, guys, let's be serious, I am Placed in the Dominican Republic, the center of caribbeam, here the heat is as a hell's spa, 85 degrees farenheit in the middle of winter, we only see the ice into the refrigerator wen is opened to take a beer. instead, we celebrate the chrismas parties drinking at the parks with the friends (to drink at the public places is not a problem here, and you can smoke <cigarrettes> at indoor places too). And what to say about our beaches, you can imagine, a beach party just on winter season, we do that, the warm water invite to enjoy (well acompanied) until the midnight.......

come to the caribbean, this is life.

sanchez.

Stan

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 08:24:19 PM »
Hi Sanchez, just got back from Puerto Plata (sp??) loved it!  Great weather, wonderful ocean temps, gotta love the beaches.  Where are you located?
Stan

sanchez

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 08:22:38 PM »
My location is Santo Domingo, you are invited to visit my country again, this is a really nice place lo vacationing, and I souldn't say this, the dominican women are very generous with the stranger....

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 01:37:09 PM »
I agree with other posters.  Sounds like a rod knock.  You should get a set of rod bearings, no make that two.  Replace yours and  keep a set on hand. 

Other than that, it all looks very functional.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

jimg99

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 06:11:24 PM »
sanchez,  I agree, it is interesting to see your set up on a trailer, without any noticable vibration.  I had thought about this myself. My dad built a trailer in 1947 out of a model A axle and frame and I still have it just sitting around. I thought this would be a great trailer to use for the engine and generator. Your video has convinced me to try it. 

Crazy carpet.....wow, we used to do that in South Dakota and in Nebraska but we had an old car hood that about three of us kids could get on. The ditch at the bottom of the hill stopped us pretty quick...

sanchez

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 02:41:47 PM »
HI GUYS,

I will check the rod bearing clearance with plasticgage, I think that the noice is product of the bad microphone gain, but follow a partner's advice don't hurt absolutely.

sincerelly thanks.