Puppeteer

Author Topic: the genset for the day to day Use.  (Read 12696 times)

sanchez

• View Profile
the genset for the day to day Use.
« on: December 26, 2007, 05:27:02 PM »
hi, this is another video of my genset in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfR9gGUI8Fs

enjoy it...

guest23

Re: the genset for the day to day Use.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
Great video.  What are you using for a fan?  Does it run all the time or is it controlled by some sort of sensor?

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 05:43:36 PM »
Maybe it is where it was setting or the way the audio was recorded, but it sounded to me like it had a real loud knock.  You could only really hear the exhaust note when you got close to the muffler.  Anywhere else, the other noise drowned out the sound of the exhaust.

Oh, and that heavy wall free hanging exhaust pipe that is out there shaking all by itself will most likeley fatigue and crack something like the exhaust manifold flange which in this case appears to be supporting the whole weight of the exhaust pipe.  Overhung loads that shake dont usually last very long.

Ron
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 07:40:44 PM by ronmar »
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

sanchez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:23:07 PM »
hi,

ronmar, you are right with the muffler pipe, is really heavy, I will fit a support to grab it with the frame. The engine is really running smooth, the knock may be by the side wall reflection, you know, a resonance efect.

Brialin, the fan is a standard electric car engine fan, was taken from a Dahiatsu 1/2 Ton gas pickup, is 12 volts DC, I used the generator power throw a 300 Watts 120/12 volts AC transformer, after rectified with a full wave diode bridge (the standard square four leg diode bridge). Icontrolled the fan with a timer, 5 minutes after start the engine (to allow warm it up).

PS: what about the two models in the video (the domestics hens)?

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 11:48:26 PM »
I am still trying to understand the purpose of a cloths line tied to the top of an engine//does it shake the cloths dry or just  dry then by the exhaust/ nothing like a shirt dried in diesel fumes...sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 01:27:10 AM »
hi,

ronmar, you are right with the muffler pipe, is really heavy, I will fit a support to grab it with the frame. The engine is really running smooth, the knock may be by the side wall reflection, you know, a resonance efect.

That was why I wasn't sure how the sound was recorded, the onboard camera mics usually aren't the best.  Instead of a support for that exhaust, You might also try getting rid of the pipe all together and using a piece of aluminum ducting slid over the peppercan to direct the exhaust away and over the railing like in this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=l1P4zhPjmsw  This would further reduce/difuse the exhaust noise, or at least direct it away from things(upward?).  It would get rid of all the overhung weight and you also wouldn't have to remove the pipe to trailer the generator somewhere else.  I am currently using something similar to what is seen in the video to get my exhaust outside my generator building as I do not have my permanent exhaust completed yet.

Ron   
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 03:41:58 AM »
Nice to see a portable CS generator set on wheels that is exhibiting no vibration problems! 
Bravo Sanchez.

sanchez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 06:30:32 PM »
ok, I acept that the exaust fumes as a dryer is some extreme, but I love that delicate small...

I decided to eliminate the pipe, for the moment I will use the muffler as shown.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 04:10:50 AM »
  Looks and sounds pretty good. The sounds don't bother the girls who were pecking at breakfast either.
   That double V belt should keep slippage to a minimum and still allow a little "give".
   I was surprised at difference in intake sounds between your engine and the Metro in the attached link. As previously stated there is some "knock" sound around your gen set that might be easily gotten rid off.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-GparTbch0&feature=related
   The push rods and lifters were getting good rotation.
    Is your unit prime power or backup?
  Must be nice to live in a place where bananas grow like apple trees around here. 

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 04:18:15 AM »
Have you ever tried to play hockey with a frozen Banana ?
I'll stick with the apple trees lol.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 05:48:23 AM »
Never tried to play hockey with a frozen apple either:)
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 07:13:41 AM »
Have you ever tried to play hockey with a frozen Banana ?
I'll stick with the apple trees lol.

Doug,

When your bannana has frozen it is pretty much game over.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 07:40:02 PM »
A good Canadian never let their banana's get frozen

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 08:27:24 PM »
All our nice yank friends here are missing out. Never played road apples with real apples or other.....

I don't know about the rest of you but I've been marred ( mis spelled ha or not ) long enough it realy doesn't matter what freezes lol.

Did go and crazy carpet with the boy this afternoon. Laced up the skates too, it was an fantastic day in winter wonderland. Poor yanks in the sun belt should atleast try this once in their lives
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 10:46:45 PM »
All our nice yank friends here are missing out. Never played road apples with real apples or other.....

I don't know about the rest of you but I've been marred ( mis spelled ha or not ) long enough it realy doesn't matter what freezes lol.

Did go and crazy carpet with the boy this afternoon. Laced up the skates too, it was an fantastic day in winter wonderland. Poor yanks in the sun belt should atleast try this once in their lives

Well I have to ask, what is crazy carpet? I'm originally from the desert southwest transplanted into Seattle so I'm not experienced in some colder things ya'll have up North. :P

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler