Author Topic: Changfa YX180 to drive a 280 amp 12VDC alternator.  (Read 31196 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Changfa YX180 to drive a 280 amp 12VDC alternator.
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2008, 09:56:01 PM »
Mike:

your points are well taken, but

one needs to factor in fuel costs into the charging calculations

if you have nearly free fuel, then i  probably makes sense to go with the 20% DOD and burn more fuel
to extend the life of your batteries,

if however one is purchasing pump diesel costs shift
then it makes more sense to go to the 50-80 regime and run more amps ,, for a much shorter period
over the lifespan of the batteries fuel cost can be twice or three times the first cost of the batteries otherwise

it all depends on what one wants to do, and what fuels are available.

i have seen installations that will burn many thousands of dollars in fuel in order to extend the lifespan of their $3000 dollar battery bank
for instance, one needs to carefully run the numbers and not get into the trap of trying to extend a 3thousand dollar battery investment by 50%
(a 1500 dollar gain) if he burns 2 or 3 thousand dollars of extra fuel to get there.

generally speaking anyone that has to purchase diesel will find false econcomy trying to short cycle their batteries in order to extend their useful life.
if you gotta buy diesel the 50/80 regime works out to be the  most efficient in real dollars factoring fuel burned vs battery life.

another but...

in order to properly charge at the 50/80 regime one needs a fairly sizeable and hell for stout generating capacity to get 25% into a 1000amp/hr bank
a 280amp alternator is just not going to live trying to meet the 250amp requirment, it likely won't live the first charge cycle unless it has a controller that
monitors the alternator temp and cuts it back as it overheats,,, but then again when you cut back you run much longer.

lots to consider :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

twombo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2008, 05:24:04 PM »
Hi Bob
Hey Bob

Your insight is VERY much valued! Fuel cost is a very important factor as you point out.  My fuel consumption is remarkably low on my Kubota.  The Balmar seems to be a very efficent charge controller. I rarely have to run more than 2 hours to get a full charge on my bank. My charger pushes, as I said, 120 amps initial rate of charge, even in the "small engine"mode. It's really rare that I am not seeing full charge voltage  of 14.6 in longer than 10 minutes or so from startup.

The fact that I have a substantial (1kw) PV array  and an Outback MX60 charge controller just makes things even "mo bettah".

I guess it all gets down eventually to balance which is, made easier in my case by the fact my electrical consumption is rarely above 1.5 kw in a day.

Darn sure ... I appreciate your assistance in getting my DC charger  set in action.  It has reduced my fuel costs immensely, roughly one tenth of what  I was using before!!!!

Mike

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2008, 05:32:24 PM »
Thanks Mike:

it is very good to hear your success using the balmar controller
i am convinced that the use of these controllers more than pays for their first cost in very short order
in some cases maybe a month!

think of all the fuel you save? even if it were free fuel !

i like the balmars very much

i also have a xantrex controller, an ample power controller, and a hehr controller to go along with the balmar
i am looking forward to working with each of them, it appears each has its strong points
and i am looking to learn what i can from each.

the goal is the development of a controller that fits precisely what an offgrid install needs, takeing the best from each of what is
being offered by these other companies.

i expect as time goes along there will be alot more demand for these controllers as folks see their benefits

bob g

twombo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »
HEY THERE!

I have a Balmar ARS-4 and the Xantrex XAR-12.  I SWEAR they are EXACTLY the same unit with different silkscreening on the module.  The documents even look nearly identical.  THe ARS-5 with the three character display looks a mite easier to program though. I just haven't found one a the right price (cheap!) yet.

The Amplepower stuff I have not seen,  they look to have a very comprehensive  suite of power management equipment. A bit pricey but it looks real well thought out stuff. I guess their main focus is marine applications, but that applies equally well for off grid in most cases.  Their Amplepower Genies are the inspiration for my own dc charger.  Am also building a Genie 250 clone with my buddy from a Yanmar 49E twin that I got out of the scrap heap!

Stumbled across a Deutz air cooled single  cyl diesel  that my prove to be motive power for another charger for the old folks up the hill, unless I can scarf up the last Yanmar 49e that is headed for the scrap heap. One man's junk is another man's treasure, eh??

Asta Luigi!!
( "see ya later luigi" in the local brogue).

Mike

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2008, 01:25:19 AM »
Mike,
Keep an eye on ebay.  I picked up a new Balmar Max Charge controller for 100.00 off retail there.  The Marine industry has been using these controllers since they first came out years ago.

I plan to watch the variables of fuel cost, battery life, and available output from my system.  With good record keeping the best balance will emerge.  Will have to factor in some solar panels, how much charging power is available when running my 15kw genset and 3kw inverter-chargers(rated 150A charging output).

Now I have two 15kw AC gen sets and the 8hp DC set.  Will have 2  3kw inverter-chargers, and a 2kw inverter and some smaller ones, prob some true sine wave capability for my CPAP machine and other sensitive electronics.

Plan on running the diesels only for a min amt of time in the daytime for water pumping(to a 1000-2000 gal elevated storage tank),  AC in the summer, clothes drying, welding, and any other high power needs.  The 2000AH battery bank will carry the homestead the rest of the time.  The house will be a combination of earth sheltered, super insulated, with geothermal heating and cooling.

My biggest challenge will be to get it all done before I get too old to swing a hammer.

Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2008, 02:40:52 AM »
 E Bay is one of your best bets. I just picked up a Xantrex multi-stage digital regulator new in the box for $123 below retail. It has all the options you could use.  Gell- AGM- flooded battery types.  Alternator & battery temp compensation. Max amp & volt settings bla...bla...bla... the list go's on.....
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2008, 03:04:38 AM »
i agree on ebay as being a good source, have picked up several from there over the last year

the xantrex unit looks to be built by balmar, or at least by the same chinese dude :)

now all we gotta do is find that chinese dude!

as far as i am concerned either unit is as good as the other, and will provide superior control to an engine/gen charger

it also makes up for gearing problems many folks seem to encounter :)

bob g

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2008, 11:18:10 PM »

I found it easy to snag the Xantrex at a much lower price as most folks seem more drawn to the balmar.   

After some study I thought too that they were made by the same china-man.

Maybe we could entice him with some fortune cookies to cross over to the dark side.... Ha ha ha!  My evil plan is working!
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3