Author Topic: Turpentine additive for VO  (Read 15719 times)

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
Re: Turpentine additive for VO
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 01:16:53 AM »
  One of the possibilities is to have the crank drilled for full pressure lubrication of the mains, conrod and camshaft.  That's where my AC1 could come in handy.  It already has full pressure lube and an intake heater.  Also it's air cooled which could make a difference in the temps. 
  I know that this all sounds like a bunch of work and expense to come up with something to replace something else that already works.  KISS and all.  However, think about how KISS diesel engines were when steam engines were still the going thing and they were just developing gasoline engines at about 3-4:1 compression.  Idea is to use hi-tech to develop lo-tech equipment.  Also, I love to experiment and try new stuff & ideas.  I expect about 10-20% to actually work out. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 04:15:56 AM »
Bitsnpieces1

Here's a link to a website in the PI about the Protos Stove 

http://www.neda.gov.ph/Knowledge-Emporium/details.asp?DataID=694

Fred

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 10:49:46 AM »
  Thanks  captfred!!  How about keeping us informed as to how it works out?  Thanks again.

Looking at possibility of running your entire house on veggie oil.  1) Got electric, 2) got mowing the grass, 3) got heat two ways, 4) now got cooking.    Might survive fossil fuel after all. 

Les
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 12:25:46 PM »
Les

Hope to have one in January,  start burnin' the rice. ;D  Will post as information is available.

Cheers, Fred

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 01:09:13 PM »
here is more on that cool stove  .....videos to   
http://www.bsh-group.com/index.php?page=109906

Stan

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 10:54:40 PM »
My parents had an oil stove, used "stove oil" probably just a form of heating oil.  Looked like a small cast iron wood cooking stove. Had a tank on a stand, fed by gravity, to a regulator, probably just a metering device.  you dribbled a little oil in the stove, lit it and turned on the regulator.  They used it for both heat and cooking in the little house in the 40's and 50's.  I'd bet a loonie it'd work with any type of oil.
Stan

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 12:51:06 AM »
My parents had an oil stove, used "stove oil" probably just a form of heating oil.  Looked like a small cast iron wood cooking stove. Had a tank on a stand, fed by gravity, to a regulator, probably just a metering device.  you dribbled a little oil in the stove, lit it and turned on the regulator.  They used it for both heat and cooking in the little house in the 40's and 50's.  I'd bet a loonie it'd work with any type of oil.
Stan

I picked up what is essentially that at the dump a few years ago in very nice condition.  It has a outer steel ventillated dress cabinet where two burning chambers like what Stan describes are mounted inside.  Each can be operated independantly or both together for more heat.  Total output is about 45000 BTU I think.  The fuel tank for stove oil hangs off the back, about 7 gallons or so, and the metering device is at the bottom of the back under the tank.  I have not tried it out yet but brought it in from the cold storage of the barn last year.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 04:13:57 AM »
Those type stoves are a dime a dozen here in Sask. At auction sales they cant get $2.00 for them anymore. I bet they might be making a comeback though.
    I found an oil fired Hot water heater this summer, I never knew such a thing existed. It has the same metering valve as the stoves. It was hooked to an outside fuel tank. I brought it home and I'm gonna hopefully get it running again. I couldnt see where it has been leaking anywhere.Looks the same as a normal 40 gal water heater except for the black 6 inch chimney up the center.

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 05:31:08 AM »
On the subject of the stoves i have a Peak multi-Fuel backpacking stove that burns white gas, kerosene or diesel. I figured why not VO?
Well I filled it up and it smokes like crazy and won't keep a lit flame without help from my propane torch. But I consider it a successful experiment because it's the first time I have ever seen a VO power stove. I think with a little work I could make it work very good. It does have a blue flame when it is running so I think it could work.

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 01:41:06 PM »
  From the reading I've been doing on the various sites, it seems like the VO needs a much higher temperature on the vaporizer and the burner to work properly.  I wonder if you could manage to alter a Coleman type stove to use VO by playing with the burner unit to keep a higher temperature.
  I remember seeing some old stoves/ranges around here that burned kerosene, however, they used a wick in the burner. 

Maybe adding turpentine/white gas/acetone/lacquer thinner would boost the heat output to start and continue proper combustion.  The combustion of VO at too low a temperature releases some toxic gases if I remember right. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:56:51 PM by bitsnpieces1 »