Puppeteer

Author Topic: Carbon issues  (Read 24272 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Carbon issues
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 09:23:37 PM »
Have you processed the oil to remove the glycerin ? Oil burns, glycerin is goo.
It is my understanding that glycerin is created once the catalyst methanol/lye mix is added during the manufacture of biodiesel.  Glycerin is created only when transesterification occurs.   
If this is incorrect someone whith a chemistry back ground will correct the above statement.
Scott

Oh.  I just thought it was dispersed in the oil naturally, and the methanol/lye brought it out.   So it reacts with something in the Veg Oil, and the glycerin is created. 

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 10:11:01 PM »
The description of the of the process being transertification implies that something is transformed, no.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

joeblack5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 11:28:51 PM »
hello gents,

I will try the acetone.
This used veggie, filtered .  What I do not understand  is that may people seem to run cars and listeroids on used veggie but there is not a lot of reports on the carbon when heads are pulled. The car community seems to run easily 20-30000 miles , that should be at an average of 50mph 400 to 600 hours. I would think lister(oids) would be more reliable at least not so in my first experiment.
i would like to get some data from people who run these engines to work several hours a day on veggie and like to hear how much maintenance they perform on this carbon issue.
May be it will turn out that some engines are better with veggie oil.
If some has already done such a "study" please let me know.

Regards and thanks so far for the help.

Johan 

SCOTT

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 12:01:58 AM »
net metering with a 6/1 in Connecticut
12/1
6/1

joeblack5

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 01:04:54 AM »
Thank you Scott,

interesting , unfortunately no long term data in this test yet. I was more interested in people who have actual listeroid work horses on WVO and there long term experiences with carbon and even coking I hope with pictures since they show so much and  of course why my listeroid has these problems while it seems many other people don't have any problems of this kind.

I cannot get coppermine to work on my computer, meaning the i can not display the files. I would like to upload jpg of my carbon problems to get as many opinions about possible causes.

regards Johan

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 01:14:37 AM »
Hi Johan;

Just noticed this thread.  I run 6/1's exclusively on WVO (except for starting and stopping) for 12 hours/day (I am running 24/7 right now, i alternate engines between day and night)  I find that I need to de-coke every 2,000 hours or so and need to clean the injector every 300 hours (at oil changes).  My oil is dewatered, heated and filtered before going into the storage tanks, then it is pumped over into the day tanks - every time I take the oil off the top of the tank, never the bottom.

I have over 15,000 hours on one 6/1, around 10,000 on the other  The second is now due for a decoke (not responding well to loads) and the most I have done is to replace rings at 7500 hours in #1 engine.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

joeblack5

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 02:55:14 AM »
Hello JohnF13,

wow, those are spectacular numbers. Can I ask what kind of WVO are you using, corn, soy, canola. If you used different styles did you notice any difference.
Because my engine is in cogen setup it is always warm from the main boiler. Before startup I preheat the injection line to 215F . I use a generator starter from an ONAN set and made a front bearing for it. Starting is real easy , but even on hand crank it picks up immediately.
How much load do you have on your engines? Do you feel that my 2Kw is so low that it could cause carbon after 30 hours.
Any other insights why I have this coke problem?

Thanks for these promising numbers.

Johan

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 05:44:44 PM »
Your not the only one.Last year when i was experimenting i had a rock hard buildup in the cov.It was like coal. Hotter you can get the oil into the injecter the better.I am trying to get at least 100' C+.I also am going to use acetone as well. Cant see the point of heating the tank unless its lard,but i suppose if i have waste heat to use then i would heat it to make things run abit easier.

craig c

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 07:31:17 PM »
Hi , Raise your compression ratio to 18/1 or higher , you need more combustion temp to burn fuel better , what is your compression ratio ? most are lower than 15/1 , my toyota diesel car has compression ratio of 23/1 and ran on veg oil with out carbon on injectors when I took them out to check , you also need to have at least 3/4 load on the engine so it has high combustion temp , check out my web site www.veglisteroidnz.co.nz , CraigC

joeblack5

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 03:53:53 AM »
Hi Lendusaquid and graigc and others.

Thanks for the encouraging words. This is a DI engine. it starts directly on veggie, even with cold engine ( 15 C)  but injection line heater around 80 C .  I did not measure the compression ratio I have increased the load to 3.5 Kw by using an additional 1.5Kw heater. I am amazed how little vibration this engine has considering that it is not hard bolted to the concrete floor. There was some worrying smell but it turned out to be the paint on the exhaust flange. The temp measured with a cheap IR meter was 240 degree Celcius, the temp of the head in between the valves 96 C and the oil at the injector 105 C. I was happy to notice that my exhaust heat exchanger is dripping condensate. Can hardly get a higher efficiency. 
The engine was working but it seemed with ease.
I will report in the next 30 hours after tear down how it looks. I have to improve my charger so that I can draw more then 2 KW, also the wiring  needs to be upgraded to 60 Amp to keep it without losses.

Thanks again Johan

SCOTT

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 04:21:40 AM »
John
Clean everything out.
Run the engine for 60hrs,
Starting and stopping on diedel.  Do not switch over to veg till the engine is up to temp, 200f, and make sure ALL OF THE veg oil is purged prior to shutting down. 

Scott
net metering with a 6/1 in Connecticut
12/1
6/1

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 06:05:40 PM »

What about a water mist injection on the air intake?

Seems that I can remember people filling a coke bottle with water and slowly trickleing into the top of the carberetor,while running the engine quite fast.  I'd be amazed just watching the carbon flying out of the tailpipe! Big clouds of black soot!

If you did this on a modern car or truck,the engine light would probably come on.

vegomatic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 04:55:21 PM »
Hi john. How do you deal with the veg goo that builds up in the bottom of the IP? My 'roid runs on wvo and about every 500 hrs I have to switch to another cleaned IP. It only takes a few minutes, but if the problem can be avoided it woul be nice.

joeblack5

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
Thanks for all the help.

I have been out of it for a while .
I have some pics of the carbon build up in the GM90. each is 45 K . How do I upload these?

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 12:07:35 AM »