Author Topic: Howdy!  (Read 4116 times)

Xcopterdoc

• View Profile
Howdy!
« on: December 13, 2007, 02:24:28 AM »
Howdy from North Carolina!
I'm a long time heavy equipment mechanic. I currently work for a national rental company. Very interesting site! I'll be buying my retirement property soon and placing a small cottage on it. Until the wife and I really retire, it will be our weekend getaway place. I was thinking at first to go totally off the grid but now I'm thinking of a grid tie system using solar, a gen set, invertors ect, in combination with propane appliances and heat. At least if I have to go on the grid, the usage will be small. Any thoughts? The cottage will be small... 24 X 36.

sid

• View Profile
Re: Howdy!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 02:30:37 AM »
As usual i will ask what part of n.c are you located// that is the longest state east of the mississippi//or it seems that way///sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Xcopterdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 02:44:45 AM »
Yup.. it's a lil long for sure! I'm in a lil town of a few hundred called Parkton. South of Fayetteville and Ft Bragg.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 03:38:47 AM »
we have another member that is a little close to you/ he post at times/keep an eye out for him //email me and I will give you his name..sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »
I'm about 5 hrs away in WV.  I've got genset going, but I'm still trying to sort out the inverter/battery bank setup.  Well really its more affording than sorting.

Cory

Xcopterdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 04:00:10 AM »
I hear ya Cory. It costs money to save money! LOL!
I'm looking at getting a light set from the company I work for. One that has been rolled over, light tower is trashed ect. As long as it has a good serviceable engine and gen end. They only use about .5 gal/hr at full load. They are 6k gen ends. One of those would be ideal. A Listeroid, although I want one badly, is probably price wise out of the question for now. I have a Miller Bobcat 250 welder on my service truck, which I drive home and back to work everyday. So if I need power here at home because of an outage , I plug in and go. 10K output is more than what I need.

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:15:03 AM »
I'm looking at getting a light set from the company I work for. One that has been rolled over, light tower is trashed ect. As long as it has a good serviceable engine and gen end. They only use about .5 gal/hr at full load. They are 6k gen ends. One of those would be ideal. A Listeroid, although I want one badly, is probably price wise out of the question for now. I have a Miller Bobcat 250 welder on my service truck, which I drive home and back to work everyday. So if I need power here at home because of an outage , I plug in and go. 10K output is more than what I need.

Xcopterdoc

I take that you are an A&P mechanic? I have a twin brother that lived in Fayetteville, nice place.

After a layoff from working heavy aircraft I went to work for a rental equipment company (Sunstate Equipment) we have had 3 allmand light towers rolled over  in last few months. I am hoping to snag one soon if it's in bad enough shape not to fix up.

The Kubota D905 is a good diesel. Easy on fuel, IDI.  Yesterday I had one loaded up to about 5,000 watts, no smoke holding 59hz. Manual says the governor is good for 5% regulation. They are easy to work on and easy to get parts for Highest time unit we have has 6,000 or so hours no major problems. Get the box type muffler they are quieter.
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

Xcopterdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 01:45:32 PM »
Hey Horsefly. Yes I have my airframe ticket, I spent 20 yrs in the Army as a helicopter mechanic. Been in th eequipment rental business ever since, in one realm or another.
I like those lil Kubota engines too!

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 12:18:46 AM »

What about the wife while you are at work? I guess it would be good incentive to cut plenty of fire wood before you got home from work instead of wasting time watching soap operas. My x wife used to complain about chopping firewood all the time. Never could figure why she left me..
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007