Author Topic: New here...  (Read 7848 times)

Grael

• View Profile
New here...
« on: December 10, 2007, 05:05:38 AM »
Hi I am new to this forum so I thought I'd introduce myself. First off I'm 16 and am living off grid in a very small town in northern Alberta, Canada. Currently we have batteries and an inverter along with a few generators to charge the batteries, the batteries take up the slack when the generators are shut down. I do all of the wiring since my dad doesn't know how, and I follow all the regulations. I have recently come to the conclusion that having a gen set running at 3600RPM is not as fun any more since they burn out too quickly, are noisy and are not as cheap to run anymore with the price of fuel, we also have a smaller engine running an alternator which charges batteries, but that doesn't run very cheap to run either and doesn't produce enough power without having to run faster, louder and being less economical. So that is why I am interested in getting a Listeroid engine for power generation since they run slower and are therefor quieter and last longer and also can run on veggie oil relatively easily. I would hook up an alternator and a 1500 or 1800 RPM 120 volt AC gen head, the alternator can charge the batteries without having to have a battery charger running through the gen head, and the gen head can run the house and whatever else is hooked up. But this is my question, WHERE can I get a Listeroid engine without it costing alot for the engine or with shipping? If ANYONE sells Listeroids that is relatively close to me please let me know about them? 8)

Thanks for reading all my jibberish. ;D
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

clytle374

• View Profile
Re: New here...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 05:10:16 AM »
Welcome. 
Some of our fine Canadian folks should have some suggestions.

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 05:50:57 AM »
www.ecodiesel.com - Troy is located in Lethbridge

Jens

??? does he sell listeroids? I didn't find any...
GTC 8-1

jimdunne

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 06:31:38 AM »
John F is honest and sells high quality Listeroids. Try:
http://www.woodnstuff.ca/index.html

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 07:05:07 AM »
middle of nowhere,

Welcome to the forums.  For one of only 16 you sound experienced in this stuff well beyond your years.  It sounds like Troy in Lethbridge may be the best geographically that we here are aware of to help you with a Listreroid engine.

Do not discount the use of a Chinese diesel. These well built cast iron engines are really easy to work on. They are cheaper to ship, make the same fuel economy or better than a Listeroid, cost considerably less per horsepower and are available in power ranges up to 30 HP for a big single. You can run them successfully direct drive at 1800 RPM to your gen head where you will get good economy and longer engine life. Parts and engines are readily avaiilable in Canada.  Check this url, www.altopro.ca  Pat is a good dude.

Like the Lister/oid they can be set up co-gen to capture the valuable coolant heat in a thermosiphon setup.

If a 12 kW plant is the right size may I recommend a Changfa 1115, 20 HP@2200 RPM engine with electric start.  Great engine!  I plan to get one of these from Pat for off-grid application to power a workshop as a prime or backup to my 1.5 L VW Rabbit diesel genset.  Reason being it is WAY easier to totally rebuild and WAY cheaper for parts than the VW for the same power at 1800 RPM.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Stan

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 04:17:17 PM »
Yup Troy is good to deal with, email him at   impact@shockware.com 

Stan

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 12:25:50 AM »
Great, thanks, Ill give Troy a call tomorrow 8) Yeah Ive been told alot about being 16 and knowing about this stuff. :P I did e-mail John a while back, he seemed honest and to be a good dealer, BUT to have ~800LBS of cast iron shipped from Ontario to Alberta would be a wee bit expensive >:(
GTC 8-1

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 01:40:58 AM »
Well I did get an e-mail from Troy, he wants $1850+GST for his engine, well they look and seem like a good reliable engine, we can't afford that much. :o  Is there anyone else relatively close, like maybe British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Montana-ish area selling these engines? Or is someone a member near me that is selling a Listeroid ???
GTC 8-1

jzeeff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 01:49:19 AM »
I agree, a Listeroid or a slowed down/derated china diesel (assuming that you can't get natural gas).

Plus a 120V generator head and a 12V or 24V alternator.

Bosch makes a long haul truck alternator that is more efficient.  Has anyone looked at the most efficient way to create 12V DC?  I suppose either direct with an alternator or indirect with a 120V to 12V transformer + rectifier.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 02:18:22 AM »
I agree, a Listeroid or a slowed down/derated china diesel (assuming that you can't get natural gas).

Bosch makes a long haul truck alternator that is more efficient.  Has anyone looked at the most efficient way to create 12V DC?  I suppose either direct with an alternator or indirect with a 120V to 12V transformer + rectifier.

Interesting question.....

That depends on a lot of things....
If your generating 240 AC and you have lots of power then a good switch power suply might be a simple and effcient way to make a small amount of DC for charging.
If you only need to bulk charge batteries then a big alternator would be better I guess ( disconnect the belt when you don;t need it I guess )
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 03:04:23 AM »

Interesting question.....

That depends on a lot of things....
If your generating 240 AC and you have lots of power then a good switch power suply might be a simple and effcient way to make a small amount of DC for charging.
If you only need to bulk charge batteries then a big alternator would be better I guess ( disconnect the belt when you don;t need it I guess )

???....I think ya posted in the wrong thread... ;)
GTC 8-1

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 03:13:09 AM »
That is some wierd stuff....
How did I manage to quote from an entirely different thread?

Stan

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 05:00:00 AM »
Middle, even if you can get a Listeroid for around $1200, and I suspect those days are gone,  I had a 300 lb VW engine shipped to me in Kimberley from Vancouver and it cost $500 plus crating charges.  On a 730 lb Listeroid, shipping can sure bump up the price in a hurry!
Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 05:04:21 AM »
200 bucks to ship from the Dock in Toronto to Northern Ontario.
Pick up at the local depot....

APEX Freight forwarders, realy nice guys who don't smash things like MDS.....
They also let me in the warehouse to inspect my cargo for as long as I liked and help me move my crates and allowed me to photogragh everything from several different angles. I guess its because they know they didn't smash anything like uhm... MDS and had nothing to hide and everything to gain if I imported more stuff.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 05:09:15 AM by Doug »

Stan

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 05:07:26 AM »
How many klicks is that by road, its close to 1000kms  from Vancouver to here.
stan