Author Topic: American made head gasket for a 6/1  (Read 18994 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: American made head gasket for a 6/1
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 03:41:21 AM »
How do you know the gasket is bad? If it is just leaking water that can be fixed.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

craig c

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 05:36:41 AM »
Hi , Go to www.gasketstogo.com/  and he has them for sale on e-bay for $9.95 us dollars , you can get to his e-bay gaskets though his web site , he has made me 6/1 head gaskets to my spec,s  1mm thick thats .040" , only need to check piston to valve clearance , I have piston above the block face .020" and head gasket 1mm thick . check out photos on my web site of gasket  www.veglisteroidnz.co.nz   . cheers  craigc

Stan

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 04:09:35 PM »
Thats the guy I got my gasket set from the guy in Thailand.  Mine was a Lister 6/1 set.  The gaskets look really good, he shipped them quickly (2 weeks if I remember rightly) and they were quite reasonable cost-wise ($27 for a full set, everything from exhaust to sump ring).
Stan

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 06:26:15 PM »
The original Lister gaskets are different and many of the Listeroid parts won't work. The original Lister engines didn't use liners. Some of the Listeroid engines are the same as the original in that they also use a one piece cylinder assembly. Those parts will interchange directly for the original Lister CS engines. The Listeroid engines that use replaceable liners also use a different gasket. The difference is not just that the original has 7 studs, (4 large and 3 5/8") they also have different cooling passages. I still have some old stock original type gaskets for engines that do NOT have liners. If you have a liner type engine you'll need a liner type head gasket.

I have an ashwamegh, I haven't removed the head yet hoping to avoid leaving it iopen for a long timeanybody has an ashwamegh, does it have a liner?

Well, more good news, there is no other dealer for Ashwamegh in the USA. I got that from Vijay engines. That explains why customer relations means nothing to him. I will check and see if there are any dealers in Canada and let you all know.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

zacksstacks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 11:53:46 PM »
FWIW, I got my 10/1 head gasket from www.gasketstogo.com. I'd definitely do business with John again. Since it's a 4.75" bore, he had to have it custom made and sent from Thailand. Still was reasonably priced and good quality manufacture - metal-reinforced graphite material and a steel fire ring.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 12:55:00 AM by zacksstacks »

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 02:22:37 AM »
I used to sell GG Automotive 6/1 and 8/1 engines. Those engines had one piece cylinders, sleeve bearings and the parts were a direct interchange with the original Lister parts. I have a large selection of head gaskets to fit the original Lister type engines and head gaskets for any of the GM-90 engines. Due to the EPA I'm getting out of the engines and I'll be shutting my website down in a couple of weeks. I'll be restarting with solar and renewable energy items after the first of the year.

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 04:49:45 PM »
I am looking for an American made head gasket for a 6/1.

I have had it with Rocky Mountain Power Source. Eric stalled and flat out lied to me for 4 months before he finally sent my engine and now after 19 days it is obvious he is not even willing to sell his customers parts. I offered to pay for the head gasket although it was under warranty since I really didn't expect his warranty to be any good after the buying experience. He assured me he would send it out. Now 19 days later my engine is still out of commission and no parts.

For those American Ashwamegh owners, So far Troy Erler of Eco Diesel Solutions Canada www.ecodieselcanada.com Ph 403 329 4368 in Canada has some interchangeable parts. Also although Mike, listeroidusa1 here in the group hasn't worked on an Ashwamegh,  but feels he will have some parts too. He suggested scanning the gasket and sending it to him.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 07:58:55 PM »
My Ashwamegh 6/1 has a cylinder liner and 4-bolt head.  You ought to be able to look or feel through your crankcase door to determine if you have one yourself.

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 04:28:56 AM »

I have had it with Rocky Mountain Power Source. Eric stalled and flat out lied to me for 4 months before he finally sent my engine and now after 19 days it is obvious he is not even willing to sell his customers parts. I offered to pay for the head gasket although it was under warranty since I really didn't expect his warranty to be any good after the buying experience. He assured me he would send it out. Now 19 days later my engine is still out of commission and no parts.

Well well, My head gasket finally arrived from RMPS, It took him over a month to get off his lazy tail and send it. Evidently somebody got on him about it. ---What a sorry excuse for a buisiness-man.

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »
http://stores.ebay.com/Gaskets-To-Go-e-Bay-Store_Farm-Industrial-Engines_Lister_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ15889450QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Thank you very much, but those are different from mine. Fore example the top center hole for the rocker shaft bolt on mine is larger.

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 04:40:43 PM »
Bob;

Glad to hear that you got things worked out.  FWIW, I had an Ashwamegh 25/2, (gone now, long story but it isn't a good one!!) - it had sleeves and  four (plus the rockers) bolt heads.  I'm in Ontario and do stock spare Indian gaskets for the 6/1's (as well as other sizes and parts) , I have a bunch of 'em here if you need one in the future.  BUT, it's not usually the head gasket that causes leaking but instead the height the liner protrudes past the top of the cylinder deck.  Too tall ands the gasket can't do it's job - no matter who make it.  On some engines the lip that the liner sits on was not machined properly, causing the liner to stick up too far.  Just a matter of popping the liner out, re-finishing the lip and re-seating the liner.  If I hadn't just has an attack of Allen-zee-heimer I'd be able to remember the ideal height - maybe Hotater or someone else with the knowledge can chip in here.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 04:43:04 PM by JohnF13 »
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 05:34:35 PM »
iirc the protrusion should be .003 to .005"
but in practice it would seem folks with under .010" seem to be just fine

one really needs to pull the liner and check under the lip, sometimes a bit of sand, swarf, towel, finger gets caught under the lip
and then you have leaks!

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 09:46:42 PM »
I think Quin said something about cutting some shim stock to take up a little space between the deck and liner.
.005 I think is near the uppper limmit to how much pertrusion you want.

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 12:20:45 AM »

Well, I got my engine back together today. despite not being mechanically inclined, I had no problems at all. Before disassembling it I checked the torque on the head bolts. One was 75 ft/lb and the tightest was 125. He said the American head gaskets should be torqued to 150 ft/lb. The rest were in between that. It is obvious he never even torqued the head at all, much less re torqued it after test running it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rbodell/BlownHeadGasket/photo#5145987615131193026

I got an answer to one question I had. Somebody had stated they had damage to their engine from running waste motor oil after only a couple of hundred hours at 20% wmo. since I run 50% wmo, I wanted to check it out. There was no sign of scarring on the cylinder as he claimed, evidently although he claimed to have filtered his wmo with a centrifuge filter that was supposed to get down to 2 microns. That did not happen, he must not have been running enough pressure on his filter or didn't run it long enough. I filter about 10 gallons at a time and I let it run for a couple of hours. I still have the same fuel filters for the last 350 hours. I had no problem with the oprigional filters, I just didn't like the small filters so I bought a goldenrod filter.

I also wanted to see about carbon collecting on the piston from running 50% wmo. I do add a couple of ounces of Acetone to help with this. When I pulled the head there was only a little bit of carbon on the piston. Not as much as I had expected. Since the head should be removed and the piston cleaned up at 1000 hours, I see no problem with carbon from burning WNO with a little Acetone.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rbodell/BlownHeadGasket/photo#5145982967976578626

http://picasaweb.google.com/rbodell/BlownHeadGasket/photo#5145988319505829586

NOTE: When I run the engine at 350 rpm, I reduce the WMO to 20% only because I assume at a slower speed like that there may be less then perfect conditions for burning the fuel. I don't know for sure, I just do it.

One thing I did notice is some white stuff up inside the head where the injector fires. It scrapes off easy. I am just guessing it is sulfur from the diesel fuel. Can anybody tell me if I am correct or not? Here is a picture of it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rbodell/BlownHeadGasket/photo#5145984728913170034

« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:25:08 AM by rbodell »