Author Topic: governor adjustment  (Read 7171 times)

dpollo

• View Profile
governor adjustment
« on: December 07, 2007, 11:26:40 PM »
I have a two cylinder Lister , 14.6 HP  ( BS649... on the tag.  #1616ST226    If I read this correctly it was built in 1976 as 2 cyl stationary engine) designed to turn 1800 rpm. I am running a single phase 5 kw alternator with it .  It is running about 16% too fast which shows up on electric clocks and other items requiring exactly 60 cycle current.

Is it possible to adjust the governor and if so, how is it done?  The governor works very well and is precise but simply set too fast. If this adjustment is not possible or inadvisable, I could change the drive ratio instead.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 11:54:08 PM by dpollo »

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: governor adjustment
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 10:20:02 AM »
Until youknow the drive ratio or the rpm of the engine at present I would not offer an idea as to which is the required or best route.  Yes the engine can be slowed - but will it still produce enough power to drive thegenerator ar full output?  Likewise the flywheel inertia, which stores energy, will change considerably.  If the engine is already overspeeding, slowing is the obvious choice.  If the ratios are wrong then these may be the better area to deal with.
Regards, RAB

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:33:49 PM »
I can't tell you how to adjust the governor on that engine, someone around here surely knows. 

Lowering the rpm is probably the best idea.  14.6 HP is more than enough power to drive, or burn up a ST 5.  You'll still have plenty of power left after lowering 16%,  lowering the rpm will also help save fuel.   

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 03:50:07 PM »
Thanks for your responses so far.   Arithmetic tells me the engine is turning a constant 2000 rpm, however, I will measure with a shaft tachometer before proceeding. I can live with reduced hp as the engine is more than adequate for full load conditions as they now stand.

Reduced noise would also be a bonus.  I am familiar with governor operation on small hydro and gas powered stationary engines but Lister diesels are new to me and this one runs so well I do not wish to screw it up. I just want to get the frequency close to 60hz.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 04:29:57 PM »
Can you post some pictures of the govener linkage.

From that we migt be able to tell more about adjusting the speed.

There might be a speed and sensitivity adjustment....

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 07:23:25 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, the governor is all internal.  The only external control on the engine apart from the compression release levers is the  RUN/ STOP control.
 I have just measured the speed . It is a steady 2120 from  no load through 4 kilowatts and correction is instantaneous when adding or dropping loads.   I need to drop the speed to 1800.

barry100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 12:35:03 AM »
Hi dpollo
There is a fine ajustment for the engine revs , it sticks out of the timing cover at the top, parallel with the crank, in the form of a set screw and lock nut, screw in to lower the revs
Barry

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 03:14:23 AM »
Thank you, Barry and everyone who responded.  I noticed the set screw but did not want to mess with anything until I learned more about it.

This is a great forum and through other posts I have learned a lot about my Lister. It seems to be a superior machine in many ways. I will give the adjustment a try and test run it tomorrow. I suspect it may have run a welder and has had the speed adjusted upwards. I have connected it via  two B size belts to a Kato 5kw alternator which has lots of extra capacity built into it.
 Is it true that the Stop /Run toggle is to be moved to its extreme anti clockwise position only for starting? 

My machine has a spin on oil filter which I thought might be hard to get as it was made in England  but it is the same as the one used on the Dodge Dakota 3.9 litre V6 and many other engines.   dp

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 05:23:56 PM »
I adjusted the governor using the setscrew and it responded perfectly.  Shaft speed 1800. Generator speed, 1200. (6 pole) My  clocks now keep good time and the governor is instantly responsive from zero to full load. Engine now runs at a more relaxed pace and is noticeably quieter.    Many thanks.  dp